Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a windshield replacement, the cutout on the lower driver's side no longer reveals the VIN number underneath. I can see the VIN with a flashlight, up a bit higher.

Seems like not quite the right windshield—maybe for a different model year? Mine's a 2010.

I could be wrong, but the dark strip on top seems to be a different shade as well.

Anyone know what's likely going on?

·
Registered
2016 Tungsten Outback 3.6R w/Eyesight. My 6th Subaru.
332 Posts
That is unacceptable.
If your car has wiper heaters, check that too.
Call the windshield replacement company and have them install the correct windshield.
If they refuse, tell them you will call your insurance company.

·
Registered
'13 XV Crosstrek Premium CVT
380 Posts
Sounds to me like they installed a non-OEM windshield. I had to replace the windshield twice on a truck I used to have, and the new windshield was absolutely identical (except the crack of course) to the one that came out. It even had the manufacturer logo behind the rear view mirror just like the original windshield.

Both times I used Safelite...the installation was quick, the windshield was perfect, and I wouldn't hesitate to go back to them again.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Limited--Sky Blue Metallic
766 Posts
This is something that you definitely want to have corrected, as a police officer will be...unhappy...with the current situation if he needs to check your VIN. You may even come under suspicion of having a stolen vehicle if the VIN is not legible, so this situation is unacceptable, IMHO.

As was said, contact your insurance company to discuss the bad work that was done on your car.

·
Registered
'15 STi and '13 GTI
1,009 Posts
This is something that you definitely want to have corrected, as a police officer will be...unhappy...with the current situation if he needs to check your VIN. You may even come under suspicion of having a stolen vehicle if the VIN is not legible, so this situation is unacceptable, IMHO.
You do realize that your VIN number is in more than one place, right?

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
Always go OEM when replacing a windshield. I will never go aftermarket again.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Yes but the public VIN at the lower left of the dash is the only one that can be seen on a locked vehicle.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Limited--Sky Blue Metallic
766 Posts
Of course I do.
But--the VIN that police officers will normally look for is the one that is supposed to be visible at the base of the windshield.
When that is not visible, it automatically raises suspicions and I doubt that a police officer is going to immediately go on a hunting expedition to find the other VINs. Once their suspicions are aroused, it could waste quite a bit of your time until the validity of the VIN is resolved.

Incidentally, the term is VIN, not VIN number.
"VIN number" means "Vehicle Identification Number Number".
You know, just as "ATM machine" means "Automatic Teller Machine Machine".

Why do people use these redundancies?
:confused:

:D

·
Registered
2012 OUTBACK 2.5 LIMITED SILVER ICE Metallic, moon and nav free
1,220 Posts
You can tell this site is frequented by a bunch of old guys.

·
Registered
'15 STi and '13 GTI
1,009 Posts
Yes but the public VIN at the lower left of the dash is the only one that can be seen on a locked vehicle.
Of course I do.
But--the VIN that police officers will normally look for is the one that is supposed to be visible at the base of the windshield.
When that is not visible, it automatically raises suspicions and I doubt that a police officer is going to immediately go on a hunting expedition to find the other VINs. Once their suspicions are aroused, it could waste quite a bit of your time until the validity of the VIN is resolved.
Unless you have stolen plates or plates that do not match the DMV database for your vehicle make/model/color what reason would a cop have to check the VIN in the first place?

The things some of you come up with to worry about is mind-boggling.

:drama:

Incidentally, the term is VIN, not VIN number.
"VIN number" means "Vehicle Identification Number Number".
You know, just as "ATM machine" means "Automatic Teller Machine Machine".

Why do people use these redundancies?
:confused:
Now I understand why you would be so anal about something as mundane as a windshield that covers the VIN plate on a dashboard.

You can tell this site is frequented by a bunch of old guys.
I know, right?

·
Registered
474 Posts
That's only because they read things like "compromised literacy" and interpret it as disrespect which results in diarrhea of the keyboard. This is purely speculative of course.

·
Registered
474 Posts
**Steers ship back to topic**

Was OP getting a parking ticket when this discovery was made?

·
Registered
2002, Legacy, 2.5 L, 4 cyl.
4 Posts
Well, that's something I will take a look at as soon as I pick mine up at the garage tonight. I just got a new windshield installed too! I never even thought to ask - I thought that for sure they would install the right one.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
VIN is exactly what it denotes, a SN that identifies the car itself.<O:p</O:p
A civil/criminal infraction/ticket is issued to the driver (through Registration/Lic), there would no point to pull the VIN (parked/locked through the WS).<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
2012 Outback Limited, 2.5i
38 Posts
As a police officer let me answer that question. Lets be realistic here, the op said the vin was visible you just had to look higher. No big deal. To answer many of your questions the federal sticker on the front door/frame isvthe ONLY true way to identify the vehicle. The vin plate on the dash just is a quick reference. If the dash vin is completely obstructed you may have a problem. Just my .02.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm almost sorry now I started this thread :)

To clarify, you cannot read the VIN through the windshield. But with a flashlight I can see the very bottom of the VIN. The windshield is either wrong or substantially out of position.

The glass company told me there is only one windshield available for a 2010 Outback, so it can't be wrong. I'm not sure if I buy that, but it could be true. However they agreed with me that the VIN should be visible. They will come out tomorrow to inspect it. I will report back.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
As a police officer let me answer that question. Lets be realistic here, the op said the vin was visible you just had to look higher. No big deal. To answer many of your questions the federal sticker on the front door/frame isvthe ONLY true way to identify the vehicle. The vin plate on the dash just is a quick reference. If the dash vin is completely obstructed you may have a problem. Just my .02.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide.com App
There are also several other true ways to identify a vehicle. Besides the FVMSS sticker on the drivers door jamb, there is also a VIN stamped onto the top edge of the firewall behind the engine. Other VIN's or partial VIN's appear around the car in hidden and proprietary locations. These locations are only known by the National Insurance Crime Bureau and shared only with law enforcement.
Some law enforcement agencies require recording the VIN and license plate number when issuing a parking ticket.
Whenever I make a traffic stop, I check the VIN to make sure it matches the registration documents provided by the driver.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts