Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium Autumn Green
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to share my ongoing windshield replacement process to see if any other Subaru owners had similar problems with it.

Something must have hit the windshield really hard on the highway, and made a pretty big crack (longer than 10"). I couldn't feel the crack from inside, and the crack was getting longer, it didn't have to be replaced right away, but it was a little bothersome when you drive.

Claimed through Geico on the internet, and they found Safelite, made an appointment. Unfortunately, my state doesn't waive deductibles, so the total was around $900, so I still have to pay $500 which is deductible.

I dropped off the car at 7am 5/18 (Tuesday), and picked up the car that evening. My wife did pick up the car, and she told me later that "Eyesight Failed, check manual". She thought the sign would go away, and she was running out of time to pick up kids.

I checked the car setting, and the Eyesight feature was gray on the screen so you couldn't even turn it on. I checked the manual as instructed, and it says contact the dealership. Cause is from "misalignment, malfunction of camera."

I called the number listed on the website, but you can't get through actual staff. It's been a nightmare. Everytime you call it is 100% automatic, and there is no option to leave a message, and it hangs up on you. I just wanted to check with the staff if they can just check real quick with walk in. I just didn't want to drive 25min for nothing.

Only option that I had was "report issue" on the Safelite website, hoping I could report a problem or something so someone could reach me, but the only option that I had was to make another appointment. Earliest one available was next Tuesday (5/25) which was 1 week later. We don't totally rely on Eyesight, but it is a pretty safety feature that we use everyday while driving. Not having Eyesight for a week wasn't very pleasant.

I messaged via Twitter, and asked for a direct number, and the only thing they were saying was someone will contact you. Someone did contact me, and it was staff from another state, and this staff had to contact the shop via their chat system to ask about the question. After several minutes of holding and talking, we were told that we could drop off car on Monday (5/24) 1pm. And also I asked for the direct number or manager number, and they gave me the number finally! (but wait for it)

I dropped off the car on time, and since it was recalibration, they said it would take 30min to 2hours to maximum. They said they would call me when it's done before they close at 5. I came home (25min driving), and waited till 4:15pm. I had to figure out if the car was done or not so I could leave before the shop closes.

I called the number that I was told was direct number, and she was the staff from Michigan (what?? I'm in OH), and she was checking with the shop if my car was done, and she told me that shop would call me when it's done)

I got a phone call from the shop 4:30PM, and it would be done by 5pm. So, I'm leaving with my wife and kids so she can drive back with subaru.

We get a phone call at 4:55pm on the way to shop, and they were saying windshield has defect, so they have to order and replace the whole thing.

I got to the store, and I was really upset. They were sorry, and they let me talk to their manager. My question was so the calibration was never done correctly first place on Tuesday the 18h when my picked up car. Manager explained to me that it takes hours to get adjusted, and when they tested it on the computer, it was done correctly. However, he said it could happen sometimes. Not very often, but "it happens" he said.

I don't know if it's true or not, but at least he explained to me. They offered a $50 shop gift card (I don't know what I can do with $50 in their shop).

I really wished I could go somewhere else, but this shop is the pretty much only shop that Geico would go with. I think I could go somewhere else that dealership uses, but insurance wouldn't pay for it.

So for right now, we are just waiting from the shop when the windshield is ready. They said it could take up to a couple days to weeks. (today is day 12 without Eyesight, and it could be close to a month) I'd much rather drive working Eyesight with crack than not working Eyesight, but it's just me.

Does anybody have a experience that I have? Any suggestions or comments? Thank you for reading. Safe driving!

Update (6/2/21 - Wednesday)
Got a "automated" text message from Satellite saying my appointment is 6/7 (Monday) at 5am. Does any service company usually set up an appointment without talking to their customers? Not asking which days or time work for them? or should I just be thankful that I have an appointment? I mean there were no phone calls, just simple text. And I didn't even realize they open at 5am? There was no instruction whether I could drop off key? I just sent an email to them reschedule.

Update (6/3/21 - Thursday)
Got an email back, and saying "ignore the appointment". At this point, I'm not even surprised. I guess they weren't going to tell me until I reach them? Email said they are "working on getting OEM part sent to us". So, I guess they are still waiting for "part". I asked which brand of glass they are getting, and they haven't emailed me back yet.

Update (6/8/21 - Tuesday)
Got and email and phone call from Safelite 6/7 Monday to confirm the appointment for Tuesday 7am. I was confirmed that they would be able to finish it by 10am. When I got there in the morning at 7am, they said they can't guarantee it would be done by 10am. I explained whole situation that this is the 3rd visit, and was told that it would be done by 10am. I talked to manager again, and they gonna try their best. Staff started getting busy to get my car fixed. I waited about 2hr, and it was done. Manager was working paper work, and I asked what brand of glass they have to replace just out of curiosity. He said he wasn't sure, and he has to check. I was like "after all this trouble - glass not working - ordering new glass, and still don't know?" I didn't say this, but I was like "ok..." And manager went back to shop to check something.

Apparently, they DIDN'T HAVE TO REPLACE THE GLASS. The Fuyao glass that replaced at the first place which failed dynamic driving recal, and they need to replace bc there is defect on glass, they ran static and dynamic driving recal, it worked. Manager said there was software update. I think they are lying, but he might be telling me the truth who knows. But then, why they just can't be honest with customer. They could've said "hey there was software update, so we gonna try that first before replace the whole glass". They've been telling me that they are working to get new OEM, and OEM part is at the shop. It's just horrible communication between customers.

Eyesight is working finally, but it took:
  • 3 weeks from first appointment
  • 3 different visits (2visit - drop off, 1visit - wait, so basically driving here 5 different times.)
  • 2 weeks w/o having Eyesight
  • multiple calls, emails, twitter messages - not able to get hold of staff.

They offered $50 visa gift card, but I didn't take it. Didn't want to validate my time, effort, inconvenient to just $50. It's just me though. I wish I didn't have to come to this store at first place, wish I could just break the glass ask for refund, and go somewhere else during whole process. Hopefully this nightmare is over.

Summary:
5/18 (Tuesday) - picked up the car, saying "Eyesight Failed"
5/24 (Monday) - windshield defect, need replacement
5/30 (Sunday) - still waiting hear from the shop for the appointment for replacement.
6/1 (Tuesday) - got a text message saying, appointment set up for 6/7 at 5am
6/2 (Wednesday) - I sent an email to reschedule
6/3 (Thursday) - They said ignore the appointment
6/8 (Tuesday) - apparently windshield is magically not defect, recal worked after their software update, fixed finally

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
2,281 Posts
I really wished I could go somewhere else, but this shop is the pretty much only shop that Geico would go with. I think I could go somewhere else that dealership uses, but insurance wouldn't pay for it.
First off - check on laws, this may be illegal. I know it is when dealing with collision repairs, the insurance company can't force you to use a particular shop if you want them to pay for repairs. The caveat there is that if you want "protection" from leverage the insurance company may have with the shop you DO have to stay within their "network".

Second - there are several threads in the gen 6 forum section related to windshields. Go review those and you'll probably see several accounts of issues...

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,198 Posts
Out of curiosity did they tell you what brand of glass they're getting next? Pilkington and Fuyao are known good, as would the OE Carlex. Safelite's own shop staff have said that the Pilkington glass is better quality and one other Outback owner said he thought his Fuyao glass was better than the OE Carlex for durability. All three brands no issues with Eyesight calibration.

From what other have said, the glass replacement procedure just consists of zipping out old glass and replacing it, but the factory manual says to remove the eyesight module first, then replace it after the glass is in, but to me this invites more problems because taking out and putting back the eyesight system could render the thing misaligned?

Some people have had glass replaced and skipped calibration altogether and still had functioning eyesight, so I'd suspect that either the glass is so warped that Eyesight can't cope with it, or they removed and then incorrectly re-installed the eyesight module.

Could you take a photo of your car's glass brand? It should be at a low corner of the glass.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First off - check on laws, this may be illegal. I know it is when dealing with collision repairs, the insurance company can't force you to use a particular shop if you want them to pay for repairs. The caveat there is that if you want "protection" from leverage the insurance company may have with the shop you DO have to stay within their "network".

Second - there are several threads in the gen 6 forum section related to windshields. Go review those and you'll probably see several accounts of issues...
Thank you for the reply. Yes, I would check if I can go through another company, and will see if GEICO reimburse the rest of the amount.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Out of curiosity did they tell you what brand of glass they're getting next? Pilkington and Fuyao are known good, as would the OE Carlex. Safelite's own shop staff have said that the Pilkington glass is better quality and one other Outback owner said he thought his Fuyao glass was better than the OE Carlex for durability. All three brands no issues with Eyesight calibration.

From what other have said, the glass replacement procedure just consists of zipping out old glass and replacing it, but the factory manual says to remove the eyesight module first, then replace it after the glass is in, but to me this invites more problems because taking out and putting back the eyesight system could render the thing misaligned?

Some people have had glass replaced and skipped calibration altogether and still had functioning eyesight, so I'd suspect that either the glass is so warped that Eyesight can't cope with it, or they removed and then incorrectly re-installed the eyesight module.

Could you take a photo of your car's glass brand? It should be at a low corner of the glass.
Thank you for the reply. I'm not sure what brand of glass they are getting next. I'll def ask them if I can get hold of them. They gave me email address.

I just checked and it is Fuyao. It's really interesting what you mentioned as far as replacement procedure goes. I don't know what Satellite or other companies' procedure polices are. Honestly, I don't really care at this point, as long as Eyesight works either way is fine with me.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium; former 19 Outback Premium, 85 GL Wagon, 87 GL-10 Wagon
2,319 Posts
@patagonia sorry about your troubles, just proves that all Safelite shops are not created equal. Perhaps I'm lucky in that I've used the same local Safelite shop for years and have always had great service. I've also used Safelite on the road with good results, too.

As to your Outback, I've replaced the windshield on my 20 twice. Both times it took Safelite all of 45 minutes to do the job, certainly no more than an hour. The first time I had to have the dealer do the calibration as Safelite didn't have the software yet for a 20. The second time Safelite did the calibration and it turned out even better than the dealer's calibration from the windshield before. The dealer only did a static calibration in the shop, took 5 minutes of actual work, about 15 minutes of the usual paperwork before and after. Safelite did the same static calibration in their shop, but then did a dynamic driving calibration. I went along for the ride, pretty simple if you have the necessary hardware and software. They plug into the obd port and drive for couple miles at city speeds, the computer(s) do the rest. Static plus dynamic calibration together took less than 30 minutes. Point being your shop taking hours to do the windshield and/or the calibration is just inefficient scheduling, as the actual work is much quicker.

I say Safelite dynamic calibration was better than the dealer's static only calibration because the Eyesight system performs noticeably better now, things like staying locked on to lane lines crossing intersections, locking onto lane lines in a curve instead of only in a straight line, things like that.

I hope you get a better resolution than your first go around, let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@patagonia sorry about your troubles, just proves that all Safelite shops are not created equal. Perhaps I'm lucky in that I've used the same local Safelite shop for years and have always had great service. I've also used Safelite on the road with good results, too.

As to your Outback, I've replaced the windshield on my 20 twice. Both times it took Safelite all of 45 minutes to do the job, certainly no more than an hour. The first time I had to have the dealer do the calibration as Safelite didn't have the software yet for a 20. The second time Safelite did the calibration and it turned out even better than the dealer's calibration from the windshield before. The dealer only did a static calibration in the shop, took 5 minutes of actual work, about 15 minutes of the usual paperwork before and after. Safelite did the same static calibration in their shop, but then did a dynamic driving calibration. I went along for the ride, pretty simple if you have the necessary hardware and software. They plug into the obd port and drive for couple miles at city speeds, the computer(s) do the rest. Static plus dynamic calibration together took less than 30 minutes. Point being your shop taking hours to do the windshield and/or the calibration is just inefficient scheduling, as the actual work is much quicker.

I say Safelite dynamic calibration was better than the dealer's static only calibration because the Eyesight system performs noticeably better now, things like staying locked on to lane lines crossing intersections, locking onto lane lines in a curve instead of only in a straight line, things like that.

I hope you get a better resolution than your first go around, let us know how it turns out.
Thank you for sharing your experience. Yes, I've been told Safelite had pretty good reviews and reputation. It might've been one of the staff's bad day or something. I mean it's not done by 100% robot or automatic, so I do understand if something doesn't work out as it planed. I was just frustrated how they communicate with customers.

So Safelite did both static calibration and dynamic driving calibration for you too then. Manager told me that they do driving calibration, and sometimes it doesn't always work? I mean they could've told me or gave heads up that this problem could happen or something.

I'm glad that your case came out very efficiently. Hope it works out good on next appointment. Yes, I'll keep update on this thread.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium; former 19 Outback Premium, 85 GL Wagon, 87 GL-10 Wagon
2,319 Posts
So Safelite did both static calibration and dynamic driving calibration for you too then. Manager told me that they do driving calibration, and sometimes it doesn't always work? I mean they could've told me or gave heads up that this problem could happen or something.
My particular shop has never had a calibration fail. They said the passing score was something like 92% and mine was 98%; I don't remember the exact numbers, I just know that the score on my windshield was very high and they said that's what they're used to seeing. I don't think the calibration is an optional thing, it's required which is why insurance companies pay for it without hesitation. I think I heard that Safelite will not do a windshield replacement without the calibration now that they have the equipment to do it. My first Outback windshield they had no choice but to release it without the calibration because it was too new and they didn't have the software yet, and I suppose I could have not done it at the dealership, but since insurance was paying, why not? I know there are some paying out of pocket who skip the calibration to save the $250 or whatever is being charged in your local area for calibration. It's easy to say that the calibration is just a way for dealers to make extra $$, but the improvements I saw from the dynamic calibration were very real so I'm glad I had it done. Afterwards I spoke to my local Subaru dealer as well as SOA to let them know that Safelite did a better job calibrating than the Subaru dealer did. They speculated that perhaps at the time the dealer didn't have the newest software to do a dynamic calibration either, so I let it go at that.

·
Registered
2009 3.0R Outback
707 Posts
What's with Subaru's and cracked/chipped windshields. Do they have their own gravitational field that attracts rocks or something? In my 22 years of owning a significant amount of vehicles, my OB is the only one that's ever had a cracked windshield and my Legacy that I've had for a year got a decent sized bullseye a few months ago, both from rocks on the highway.

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
2,281 Posts
What's with Subaru's and cracked/chipped windshields. Do they have their own gravitational field that attracts rocks or something? In my 22 years of owning a significant amount of vehicles, my OB is the only one that's ever had a cracked windshield and my Legacy that I've had for a year got a decent sized bullseye a few months ago, both from rocks on the highway.
Lots of discussion on the topic in the aforementioned threads in the 6th gen section. I think there may have been some in the 5th gen section also...

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Well..... satellite drama is not surprising..... I had one experience with safelite and it wasn’t good... it was downright fraudulent and I walked and advised my insurance company that I wasn’t letting them touch my car... FWIW.... there are probably some good safetlite operators out there but they’re few and far... safelite is a patchwork of independent glass repair shops they’ve acquired and although they operate under the safelite umbrella, they operate on their own terms and practices And based upon your experience, that shop is one to avoid especially after giving you the song and dance about a routine and simple calibration..... ?

it also seems they’re using lowest cost aftermarket replacement glass with defects.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My Satellite experience was less than stellar as well. First I was quoted without calibration which was fine as I was ready to take the risk. Then a day before the appointment I got a call and they said I need calibration, fine I run it through the insurance and the cost for me would be the same. Then they replaced the windshield but it cracked on the passenger side during installation. Ok, new appointment as they didn’t have another one. Then they installed the second one and did the calibration but that windshield had an optical error in the line of vision. After some discussion with the shop they saw it as well and I got another appointment scheduled. Windshield number three was finally working and calibrated. So far no issues…… btw, the total cost before insurance was $1,150.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6 R Touring
186 Posts
First you have to have full glass replacement on your auto insurance policy.

Secondly, if it wasn't right - why not go back to the shop - instead of making phone calls?

·
Registered
2020 Legacy Premium
46 Posts
Luck of the draw. My BMW and Acura have both gotten chipped/cracked, but not our Subarus.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Interesting. We've owned three different vehicles with driving 10+ years, and got chipped/cracked windshield for the first time within 1year of purchase of outback. co incidence? I don't know.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
My particular shop has never had a calibration fail. They said the passing score was something like 92% and mine was 98%; I don't remember the exact numbers, I just know that the score on my windshield was very high and they said that's what they're used to seeing. I don't think the calibration is an optional thing, it's required which is why insurance companies pay for it without hesitation. I think I heard that Safelite will not do a windshield replacement without the calibration now that they have the equipment to do it. My first Outback windshield they had no choice but to release it without the calibration because it was too new and they didn't have the software yet, and I suppose I could have not done it at the dealership, but since insurance was paying, why not? I know there are some paying out of pocket who skip the calibration to save the $250 or whatever is being charged in your local area for calibration. It's easy to say that the calibration is just a way for dealers to make extra $$, but the improvements I saw from the dynamic calibration were very real so I'm glad I had it done. Afterwards I spoke to my local Subaru dealer as well as SOA to let them know that Safelite did a better job calibrating than the Subaru dealer did. They speculated that perhaps at the time the dealer didn't have the newest software to do a dynamic calibration either, so I let it go at that.
I would've gone totally different route if I knew this process was going to be not very efficient. Subaru dealer had their 3rd party shop they use, so that could be another option. I probably had to pay out of pocket instead, and claim for reimbursement? but, I didn't know if the situation would turn out bad.

Safelite manager said most problem happens during dynamic driving recal. He said it can take from 1hour to 2hours just driving recal itself. Car go through its own checklist, and they don't have any control of it. So if it fails, they have to replace the windshield. they can't not guarantee 100% that it will work next time. I mean it makes sense, but it's frustrating. I don't know what is the passing rate for this particular store.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 (Gen 5)
82 Posts
I've had my wife's subaru forester windshield replaced (has eyesight) and she said her eyesight became more sensitive. I just had my windshield replaced by Safelite and it's the same (2019 Outback).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts