Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2019 3.6 Touring & 2018 H6 Limited. Previously also owned a number of Outbacks.
194 Posts
What's with Subaru's and cracked/chipped windshields. Do they have their own gravitational field that attracts rocks or something? In my 22 years of owning a significant amount of vehicles, my OB is the only one that's ever had a cracked windshield and my Legacy that I've had for a year got a decent sized bullseye a few months ago, both from rocks on the highway.
Check other manufactures, Ford, Honda, acura . Everyone uses acoustic windshield has the same problem. Subaru is actually a bit thicker than others such as Honda. 4.76 vs. 4.67 or something like that...

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium Autumn Green
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
First you have to have full glass replacement on your auto insurance policy.

Secondly, if it wasn't right - why not go back to the shop - instead of making phone calls?
So Ohio is one of the state that insurance doesn't waive deductible for windshield replacement. It takes about 25min to get this shop, and didn't want to was time not knowing whether they can even take a look at the car or not, however, I could've done that too if I knew making phone calls were this hard!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Ok I guess we should drop Fuyao from the "better than OEM" list. Pilkington seems it might be better than OEM.
So they replaced with Fuyao initially, and they said they are getting OEM now. So is it bad then...? hmm

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,336 Posts
We have little data to go by - so far it's just a few anecdotal stories. One person said their Fuyao was great and seemed stronger than Carlex, but then your Fuyao couldn't be calibrated with Eyesight (presuming it's the glass not technician error) so we're just trying to extrapolate from insufficient data.

Since all the new cars come with Carlex and people are having broken windshields it's natural to blame the Carlex but we don't have enough people with aftermarket glass to know if that breaks just as easily.

So far Pilkington's reputation has historically been good, and none have failed calibration that we know of but not many have it on their cars yet so it's still insufficient data. I also haven't heard of a Carlex failing calibration.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6 R Touring
188 Posts
So Ohio is one of the state that insurance doesn't waive deductible for windshield replacement. It takes about 25min to get this shop, and didn't want to was time not knowing whether they can even take a look at the car or not, however, I could've done that too if I knew making phone calls were this hard!
I found this:

Unlike some states, Ohio unfortunately will not waive the deductible for windshield replacement. That’s why the state encourages drivers to have “comprehensive coverage” as part of their auto insurance policy.
According to the Ohio Department of Insurance, “vehicle damage caused by water-related events, ice, heavy snow and burst water pipes are normally covered under the ‘other-than-collision’ (also known as ‘comprehensive’) portion of an auto insurance policy. This is optional coverage that has to be purchased.”

It looks like you need to specify the glass coverage on your comprehensive insurance. It's no different than Minnesota. I believe full glass coverage costs me about $25 / yr for two vehicles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to share my ongoing windshield replacement process to see if any other Subaru owners had similar problems with it.

Something must have hit the windshield really hard on the highway, and made a pretty big crack (longer than 10"). I couldn't feel the crack from inside, and the crack was getting longer, it didn't have to be replaced right away, but it was a little bothersome when you drive.

Claimed through Geico on the internet, and they found Safelite, made an appointment. Unfortunately, my state doesn't waive deductibles, so the total was around $900, so I still have to pay $500 which is deductible.

I dropped off the car at 7am 5/18 (Tuesday), and picked up the car that evening. My wife did pick up the car, and she told me later that "Eyesight Failed, check manual". She thought the sign would go away, and she was running out of time to pick up kids.

I checked the car setting, and the Eyesight feature was gray on the screen so you couldn't even turn it on. I checked the manual as instructed, and it says contact the dealership. Cause is from "misalignment, malfunction of camera."

I called the number listed on the website, but you can't get through actual staff. It's been a nightmare. Everytime you call it is 100% automatic, and there is no option to leave a message, and it hangs up on you. I just wanted to check with the staff if they can just check real quick with walk in. I just didn't want to drive 25min for nothing.

Only option that I had was "report issue" on the Safelite website, hoping I could report a problem or something so someone could reach me, but the only option that I had was to make another appointment. Earliest one available was next Tuesday (5/25) which was 1 week later. We don't totally rely on Eyesight, but it is a pretty safety feature that we use everyday while driving. Not having Eyesight for a week wasn't very pleasant.

I messaged via Twitter, and asked for a direct number, and the only thing they were saying was someone will contact you. Someone did contact me, and it was staff from another state, and this staff had to contact the shop via their chat system to ask about the question. After several minutes of holding and talking, we were told that we could drop off car on Monday (5/24) 1pm. And also I asked for the direct number or manager number, and they gave me the number finally! (but wait for it)

I dropped off the car on time, and since it was recalibration, they said it would take 30min to 2hours to maximum. They said they would call me when it's done before they close at 5. I came home (25min driving), and waited till 4:15pm. I had to figure out if the car was done or not so I could leave before the shop closes.

I called the number that I was told was direct number, and she was the staff from Michigan (what?? I'm in OH), and she was checking with the shop if my car was done, and she told me that shop would call me when it's done)

I got a phone call from the shop 4:30PM, and it would be done by 5pm. So, I'm leaving with my wife and kids so she can drive back with subaru.

We get a phone call at 4:55pm on the way to shop, and they were saying windshield has defect, so they have to order and replace the whole thing.

I got to the store, and I was really upset. They were sorry, and they let me talk to their manager. My question was so the calibration was never done correctly first place on Tuesday the 18h when my picked up car. Manager explained to me that it takes hours to get adjusted, and when they tested it on the computer, it was done correctly. However, he said it could happen sometimes. Not very often, but "it happens" he said.

I don't know if it's true or not, but at least he explained to me. They offered a $50 shop gift card (I don't know what I can do with $50 in their shop).

I really wished I could go somewhere else, but this shop is the pretty much only shop that Geico would go with. I think I could go somewhere else that dealership uses, but insurance wouldn't pay for it.

So for right now, we are just waiting from the shop when the windshield is ready. They said it could take up to a couple days to weeks. (today is day 12 without Eyesight, and it could be close to a month) I'd much rather drive working Eyesight with crack than not working Eyesight, but it's just me.

Does anybody have a experience that I have? Any suggestions or comments? Thank you for reading. Safe driving!

Update (6/2/21 - Wednesday)
Got a "automated" text message from Satellite saying my appointment is 6/7 (Monday) at 5am. Does any service company usually set up an appointment without talking to their customers? Not asking which days or time work for them? or should I just be thankful that I have an appointment? I mean there were no phone calls, just simple text. And I didn't even realize they open at 5am? There was no instruction whether I could drop off key? I just sent an email to them reschedule.

Update (6/3/21 - Thursday)
Got an email back, and saying "ignore the appointment". At this point, I'm not even surprised. I guess they weren't going to tell me until I reach them? Email said they are "working on getting OEM part sent to us". So, I guess they are still waiting for "part". I asked which brand of glass they are getting, and they haven't emailed me back yet.

Summary:
5/18 (Tuesday) - picked up the car, saying "Eyesight Failed"
5/24 (Monday) - windshield defect, need replacement
5/30 (Sunday) - still waiting hear from the shop for the appointment for replacement.
6/1 (Tuesday) - got a text message saying, appointment set up for 6/7 at 5am
6/2 (Wednesday) - I sent an email to reschedule
6/3 (Thursday) - They said ignore the appointment
My 2021 Outback Touring got cracked due to ice a month after I bought it. Insurance was with USAA and they use Safelite as well. I made the appointment online and got a call before the install saying they would change the appointment date as being a month old they wanted to go with the OEM windshield. They reinstalled and did the calibration and I have had no issues. Sorry that you've been put through the wringer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I found this:

Unlike some states, Ohio unfortunately will not waive the deductible for windshield replacement. That’s why the state encourages drivers to have “comprehensive coverage” as part of their auto insurance policy.
According to the Ohio Department of Insurance, “vehicle damage caused by water-related events, ice, heavy snow and burst water pipes are normally covered under the ‘other-than-collision’ (also known as ‘comprehensive’) portion of an auto insurance policy. This is optional coverage that has to be purchased.”

It looks like you need to specify the glass coverage on your comprehensive insurance. It's no different than Minnesota. I believe full glass coverage costs me about $25 / yr for two vehicles.
Actually, I talked to Geico rep, and they said I do have comprehensive insurance, and since I'm in Ohio I still have to pay deductible for windshield replacement. I wouldn't hurt call them again to double check.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
We have little data to go by - so far it's just a few anecdotal stories. One person said their Fuyao was great and seemed stronger than Carlex, but then your Fuyao couldn't be calibrated with Eyesight (presuming it's the glass not technician error) so we're just trying to extrapolate from insufficient data.

Since all the new cars come with Carlex and people are having broken windshields it's natural to blame the Carlex but we don't have enough people with aftermarket glass to know if that breaks just as easily.

So far Pilkington's reputation has historically been good, and none have failed calibration that we know of but not many have it on their cars yet so it's still insufficient data. I also haven't heard of a Carlex failing calibration.
"but then your Fuyao couldn't be calibrated with Eyesight" I updated on my original post, but they didn't have to replace Fuyao glass. Instead, they did the recal, and it worked this time. Manager said, "there was software update." I didn't hear this until 5min before I left from Safelite. All they've been telling me was "getting to work get OEM parts, parts are here". I wish they could communicate better with their customers.

I'm glad that it's all fixed and working now though. Never going back Safelite.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,336 Posts
"but then your Fuyao couldn't be calibrated with Eyesight" I updated on my original post, but they didn't have to replace Fuyao glass. Instead, they did the recal, and it worked this time. Manager said, "there was software update." I didn't hear this until 5min before I left from Safelite. All they've been telling me was "getting to work get OEM parts, parts are here". I wish they could communicate better with their customers.

I'm glad that it's all fixed and working now though. Never going back Safelite.
Since they did the dynamic calibration does Subaru Eyesight (esp. lane centering) work as good as new or better? Just subjectively is there any reason to think the Fuyao is inferior other than their initial problem (software??) with calibration?

Reactions: patagonia

·
Registered
19 Outback 2.5i Premium
238 Posts
Since they did the dynamic calibration does Subaru Eyesight (esp. lane centering) work as good as new or better? Just subjectively is there any reason to think the Fuyao is inferior other than their initial problem (software??) with calibration?
Well, I recently had Safelite replace my 2019 windshield (Gen 5), my insurance automatically setup the appointment, and I thought yeah... let's go there this time since they can recalibrate and it will be a one-and done visit.

They put in what I believe is a Fuyao windshield, and recalibrated the eyesight. What I have noticed since with Eyesight on my normal commutes and trips.

1. Lane assist: It's "wider" than before. Meaning that the car will now be almost on top of the lane line before it corrects and nudges you back. Before it kept the car more centered (Gen 5 doesn't have "Lane Centering", just "Lane Assist")

2. Lane departure: It's not as accurate as before. Same roads, same lane lines, and I can cross over without turn signals sometimes and it doesn't beep/warn, sometimes. Sometimes it just like it was before.

3. Obstacle ahead warning: Not as accurate. It used to be quite good. I could be pulling into a parking spot with a wall in front and it would warn me, not any more. Not sure how well it does on the road, as I'm leery to "test" it.

I'm going to try to get Safelite to re-do the calibration if possible.

Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6 R Touring
188 Posts
Actually, I talked to Geico rep, and they said I do have comprehensive insurance, and since I'm in Ohio I still have to pay deductible for windshield replacement. I wouldn't hurt call them again to double check.
I'm not an authority on insurance ... but I'm a computer scientist who has authored - for many years - many applications - I have a LOT of liability insurance - I've been drilled. Insurance is a contract. IMO - all these insurance whores - GIECO / The General / Liberty Mutual / All State. These people are advertising all sorts of low rates. But you have to READ the contract. It is possible to purchase 'real' insurance.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,625 Posts
I've always kept my comprehensive deductible at zero because there usually isn't a lot of savings having a higher deductible, especially when you consider the likelihood of having a windshield claim at some point. I think my collision deductible is at $500.

But with that said my original windshield in my Outback is still going strong after 4 years plus.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts