Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Outback Limited Sedan, 2.5L
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Slowly getting my Suby back into condition where I don't need to hang my head in shame driving down the road. Next up, windshield replacement (it's cracked clear across the length of the windshield). My car has a heated windshield in the wiper parking area, but I'm going to opt for the less expensive option and try to get a non-heated windshield installed. I suppose having the windshield heated in the windshield park area has its merits, but $185 for a non-heated windshield versus $325 for a heated windshield doesn't seem worth it to me. Anyone make the switch from heated to non-heated? Can anyone make a valid argument for keeping a heated windshield???

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,256 Posts
Yes - not busting your wiper mechanism if the blades are frozen to the windshield.

·
Registered
95 Legacy EJ22 5MT, 98 Legacy EJ22 5MT, 99 Legacy Outback EJ25 4EAT "Agent 99", 01 Forester EJ25 4EAT
496 Posts
I'm still struggling with nearly a 100% price increase just for burying a couple of feet of wire in the glass. Shopped around?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Slowly getting my Suby back into condition where I don't need to hang my head in shame driving down the road. Next up, windshield replacement (it's cracked clear across the length of the windshield). My car has a heated windshield in the wiper parking area, but I'm going to opt for the less expensive option and try to get a non-heated windshield installed. I suppose having the windshield heated in the windshield park area has its merits, but $185 for a non-heated windshield versus $325 for a heated windshield doesn't seem worth it to me. Anyone make the switch from heated to non-heated? Can anyone make a valid argument for keeping a heated windshield???
Go with non heated, you have a defroster....

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,256 Posts
I'm still struggling with nearly a 100% price increase just for burying a couple of feet of wire in the glass. Shopped around?

if I remember correctly, when i was looking a prices for my '03, Safelight had it at something like $285 with installation at my shop.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if I remember correctly, when i was looking a prices for my '03, Safelight had it at something like $285 with installation at my shop.
$285 is a good price for a heated windshield, but I suspect getting a better deal is easy when you're living in Indiana and Suby's are built in your backyard! I definitely can't do better than $300+ in the PNW, or at least my shopping around didn't find an installer for less than $300.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes - not busting your wiper mechanism if the blades are frozen to the windshield.
Nah, not worth the extra $ to me. It's been my experience the windshield never heated quick enough to free frozen wipers anyway. I don't use my heated seats either. The car is comfortably heated before the seat heat is even noticeable. Perhaps these options work best when the car is started and running a half hour before I decide to get in the seat and drive. Who has time for that?!?:grin2:

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,358 Posts
Can anyone make a valid argument for keeping a heated windshield???
If you have comprehensive coverage, you will pay the same price to get heated versus non-heated, provided the heated feature was equipped on the car in the first place. I replaced mine in January, and I was given a choice of $100 for a Subaru non heated, or $100 for an OEM-spec heated. I took the latter, even though I don't use the feature much, just to keep all the original features intact.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Somewhat happy ending to this story...The $185 I was quoted was for a HEATED windshield. Score! If you ever find yourself in the Vancouver, WA area and in need of a windshield, include MS Glass as one of your quotes!

On a not-so-happy note, took a small pebble to my new windshield on the way home after getting it replaced. Took another one today on my way to work. I'm now the proud owner of a pebble magnet...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts