Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5i Premium
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am new here. I just bought a used 2014 Subaru Outback (36k miles) from a good friend. It's in great shape, but has one small issue. The Windshield washer light recently has come on and stays on. The tank is somewhat full and the unit works. The friend who I bought it from just told me to take it to the dealer and he would pay to fix it....he intended to but just did not get to it. So....I went to the local dealer and asked about it. They told me it would be a minimum of $125 for diagnose it plus any parts. I thought this was expensive and would never allow my friend to pay for this. Can anyone here be so kind as to walk me through what I should check for.....bad sensor, bad ground, etc..? I'm no master mechanic, but can do the small stuff. It's not a big deal, more of an irritant. Thank you in advance for your good help. Respectfully, Frank D.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
remove the connector for the level sensor on the tank and check the resistance... with the sensor covered (tank full) it should read 1 MΩ or more (if uncovered should be something like 10Ω or less). Could double check for voltage in the sensor connector harness too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Walker...I will do this. Respectfully, Frank D.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Researched this a bit more and found that this is a common problem with this era Subaru's. In fact, Subaru issued a TSB for it in 2012. It is TSB 12-134-12 if anyone is interested. I found it online as a pdf and printed it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The indicator remains illuminated with a full tank on our 2014 Outback as well. After reading the TSB, I'll just let it be ... the fix is to replace the entire tank assembly, as the sensor is not an available part.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The indicator remains illuminated with a full tank on our 2014 Outback as well. After reading the TSB, I'll just let it be ... the fix is to replace the entire tank assembly, as the sensor is not an available part.

I had this problem on my 2014 Outback. I tried a few things like new fluid and tapping on the fluid box to no avail. I decided to drain the fluid by running the wipers and pulling the wiper lever till it was empty. After doing this for close to 30 seconds (it was full) I noticed the light was out. This wasn't what I thought would fix it but it has been several weeks and no light. It is worth a try as it could be something lodged around the sensor and all the water movement did the trick.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,289 Posts
This is not an uncommon problem with other manufacturers as well. The cause is the deposits that settle in the tank affect the sensor. The washer mix contains an "anti-freeze" and it leaves behind a sediment that is similar in consistency to a gel. The same substance is what clogs the screen on a washer pump and burns up the pump motor.
Cleaning the tank can fix the issue.

Using tap water increases the chances of this problem occurring. The mineral content of tap water is higher and deposits settle around the sensor and prevent proper operation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts