Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring w/EyeSight
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had HID's installed in my 2005 OBXT. I pulled the plug under the dash to disable daytime running lights (DRL).

Purchased it mid-October, so we've only had it a couple months. I THINK the windshield washer used to work, but I guess I can't swear to it.

My wife noticed the problem when she was driving it in cold weather around the holidays.

Are there any common issues with these or likely places to look for the problem? The reservoir is full.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Antifreeze in the washer fluid? Also even with washerfluid that won't freeze - the nozzel on the hood can still get frozen and blocked up.

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,477 Posts
I recently had HID's installed in my 2005 OBXT. I pulled the plug under the dash to disable daytime running lights (DRL).

Purchased it mid-October, so we've only had it a couple months. I THINK the windshield washer used to work, but I guess I can't swear to it.

My wife noticed the problem when she was driving it in cold weather around the holidays.

Are there any common issues with these or likely places to look for the problem? The reservoir is full.
The most common problem is that people forget that the spray is controlled by a button on the tip of the wiper stalk, rather than by pulling the stalk rearwards.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i Premium/DDD Graphite Gray Metallic OP#2 Weathertec Window Deflectors
405 Posts
You can hear the pump from inside the car, when tried, if not it's the pump, it's under the reservoir with a plug and a tube, it's easier to take the reservoir out of the car to replace, if you have a junk yard around I would try that first, I did got the tank,& pump for the same, just switch them.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For some reason, I don't recall seeing these later replies.

I'll have to look again - it's entirely possible neither of us were pressing the button.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The most common problem is that people forget that the spray is controlled by a button on the tip of the wiper stalk, rather than by pulling the stalk rearwards.
That was me. It works fine if you press the button.

:gasp:

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
That was me. It works fine if you press the button.

:gasp:
I've related this story before : About every year some the first winter storm, my wife tells me the washers aren't working. I go out, try them, they work fine. I point out you have to push the button on the end, not pull. I show her the reason she's confused (it shows what looks like washer fluid for the pull-mist function, but really it's the button). After 7 years, I guess I made too much fun of this situation this winter, and I was in the dog house for a few days, but I doubt she will forget next year :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts