Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017... 8000 miles, and caught a rock which grew in the period of an hour to a whole windshield.
$460 for windshield and $200 for eyesight recalibration.
Question 1- is the eyesight calibration necessary?
and 2- is $200 extortion like it seems?

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,243 Posts
That is your decision. First you paid a premium to have this safety device, why now sell yourself short. Next, Subaru recommendation is to do a recalibration to make sure the cameras are functioning correctly. If it slightly out of focus you might never know until your life depends on them. Make sure you use OEM glass that is approved for Eyesight and verify the installer doesn't crimp your washer hose.

Check with your insurance mine was fully covered including the recalibration.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul!

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited w/ES, Wilderness Green
565 Posts
My windshield was $590 installed and the Eyesight calibration was $180. There was about a week in between the windshield replacement and camera re-calibration. I didn't notice any problems with the system during that week but wanted the assurance that the system would work correctly in an emergency. That would be a bad time to find out the calibration was off half-a-tick.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
When my wife's '17 Forester's windshield took a rock several months back, the entire ball of wax was covered by our car insurance glass coverage.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
1,107 Posts
If mine had been hit by a rock, it would have been covered under my insurance. Mine was caused when I was removing my sun shade and it got hung up behind the rear view mirror and the mirror snapped off, taking a chunk of glass with it.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,532 Posts
Mine was caused when I was removing my sun shade and it got hung up behind the rear view mirror and the mirror snapped off, taking a chunk of glass with it.
BTDT ... in a 1988 Pontiac Fiero. [IRONY]Darn cheap, thin windshield glass![/IRONY]

·
Registered
4 Posts
When I bought my '15 Outback, it had a cracked windshield which the dealer sent a glass repair outfit to the house and replaced it. Never had the Eyesight recalibrated and it was not a "Subaru" windshield. Worked fine. I've now had it replaced two more times, once under warranty and the latest due to a softball and both times the Eyesight was calibrated as it was done at the dealership. The recalibration was $192. This is all within 16 months.
Definitely inquire with your insurance rep about replacement glass coverage with a $0 deductible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts