Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just got my '13 outback 2.5i. It's my first new car ever (only my 2nd vehicle), but i got a good 13 years out of my 1996 F-150, and figure with a little TLC i can get that out of my outback. So after only having the car for a few days of constant rain, i've realized it's gonna take some work to keep it looking like new.

I've tried reading a bunch on different waxes and polishes, and clay bars and all that stuff, but i'm at a loss of what do do to prep this thing so it can shrug off winter her in NJ (usually not too bad, but salt can be used a little heavily, and therefore lots and lots of salty slush on the roads.

So what do I do? We've got a few days of expected good weather tuesday and wednesday, so i'd like to get things nice and cleaned up those days after work. Here's what i'm thinking:
1. wash&dry
2. clay bar
3. wax or sealer

Not sure on what product to use for #3. For the winter i don't need a super wax that will give that wet look and have to be reapplied in 2 or 3 weeks. I guess i want a nice shine/look, but more importantly i want a good protective layer so a quick clean will get rid of the road grime/salt spray when possible during the winter. No idea on waxes/sealants, etc. So any help would be appreciated. Also I basically want a coating that will keep the paint safe for 3-4 months. Once springtime rolls around, maybe i'll switch to something a little more high end for that wet look/shine that isn't as durable, but for now protection and durability are at a premium.

Also since i'd like to do this in the next few days i need something that's pretty available at a place like pep boys or something like that as i don't have time to order something and get it delivered.

Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
that list looks good and will treat you well. the minor details of which to use won't add much...if any...long term value to your ownership, so i wouldn't fret about what they have or don't have in stock.

picture attached of how dish soap 3 times a year on a good year has held up on our snow machine for going on 12 years and 200,000+ miles now. another 100,000 here we come and I have spent no time thinking about washing or waxing or doing the later.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
For step# 3 I think Collinite 845 would suit your needs perfectly. It will look great, but more importantly, protection will be second to none. It' s priced reasonably for high end sealants and I've seen it OTC as well (autobarn).

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I've had success with Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax, which you should be able to find at Pep Boys or the like. It's easy and forgiving to apply and lasts a reasonable amount of time. Very tight beading and a smooth finish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
AO River
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing