Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else hearing a loud crunching/creaking coming from the rear when the suspension compresses after driving in snow. I thought it might be snow packed in the wheel wells or springs but I don't see anything. Wondering if maybe snow get thrown up by rear wheels and sent in some area of the undercarriage where it hardens and makes a racket as the car moves. If the weather warms up it's as if it melts and the noise goes away. Then it snows again and it resumes. It's not subtle.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,754 Posts
Is anyone else hearing a loud crunching/creaking coming from the rear when the suspension compresses after driving in snow. I thought it might be snow packed in the wheel wells or springs but I don't see anything. Wondering if maybe snow get thrown up by rear wheels and sent in some area of the undercarriage where it hardens and makes a racket as the car moves. If the weather warms up it's as if it melts and the noise goes away. Then it snows again and it resumes. It's not subtle.
I did hear that on mine, it did turn out to be snow packed in the wheel well between the tire and the components behind it. I scraped as much of it as I could reach with a scraper and took it to the car wash to power wash it away. That fixed the noise for me.

·
Registered
2020 Outdoor XT
1 Posts
I hear the same strange noise from the rear suspension (right side I think...) since 1 week (1000km / 625mi total millage)! First I tought it was snow+ice packed close to the coil-spring but after a "warm" day (0°C/32°F) it didn't stop. Today there was no sound at all and the weather was very cold (-25°C/-13°F) !!??
Did not car-washed it since the noise appeared....
I've talked to the dealer and it might be a sway-bar bushing making that noise, they said. They had already replace one on another 2020 OB here in the Laurentians (Quebec, Can.).
I should be fixed next monday...

·
Registered
2020 Outback 2.5 Limited
5 Posts
I hear the same strange noise from the rear suspension (right side I think...) since 1 week (1000km / 625mi total millage)! First I tought it was snow+ice packed close to the coil-spring but after a "warm" day (0°C/32°F) it didn't stop. Today there was no sound at all and the weather was very cold (-25°C/-13°F) !!??
Did not car-washed it since the noise appeared....
I've talked to the dealer and it might be a sway-bar bushing making that noise, they said. They had already replace one on another 2020 OB here in the Laurentians (Quebec, Can.).
I should be fixed next monday...
I have the same exact issue with my Outback that was manufactured in December 2019. The noises started at about 300 miles (2 weeks after I took delivery). It is getting progressively worse especially when the car sways up and down while driving over a depression in the road or over a large speed bump. I removed the lid, the foam tray and the spare tire and my wife drove the car while I was in the back. The noise clearly transmits into the interior through the struts/strut mounts but it could be anything I guess. I am at about 700 miles and am taking it in next week to have it checked out by the dealer.

·
Registered
OB XT
27 Posts
Got the same nose back passenger side. Seems to happen on cold days like 10f on bigger bumps. Also thought it was snow but wheel well was clear. Then no nose the next day.

·
Registered
2020 Outback touring
62 Posts
Same here !

Resolved last week !!

Dealer put a little grease on the rubbers for the sway bar bushings.
All 4 corners

I'm very lucky that my dealer, my same mechanic knows his Subarus.
I'm very lucky that my dealer, my same mechanic knows his Subarus.
I did 400,000km total on my 2013 and 2017. Now my 2020 has 20,000km.

nice to have a GREAT mechanic/ dealer

Luc
South shore Montreal

1 - 6 of 6 Posts