Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a 2000 OB MT and im attending the University of Vermont. (groovy UV) Anyway i usually spend the winter break up here (jan-feb) working at sugarbush ski resort. I have a pretty nasty commute whenever it snows. This is pretty much why i bought my OB. Anyway last year i did this with a honda accord. No ABS or trac control. (infact i have rigged up an ABS kill switch for my OB) An understatement would be saying it was an interesting experience. To have done this without snow tires would have been impossible.

Anyway i was wondering about what brand of snow tires works well with OB's. I have heard that Cooper makes a great snow tire. I get a deal with them through the ski resort, but this is an area i dont want to be cheap in. Any input on what you guys have tested?

Also since it sometimes gets down to -30 degrees F i was curious about the effectiveness of the engine block heater. Is that worth the money??

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Tire Rack higly recommends the Blizzak Ws-50 and having own a set already, I have to concur that they offer amazing snow/ice traction. However, they are a bit noisy and they will make your steering and handling feel less responsive.

I use my block heater anytime the temp dips below -20C here, and they are wonderful. The car starts much easier wich puts less stress on the starter and battery, and the oil is able to flow right away, saving wear and tear. As an added bonus, the car will warm up MUCH faster.

I think they are well worth the small investment.

·
Administrator
4,270 Posts
Do a search on tires, there are about a million threads already about this ;)

I recommend Nokian WR's...

·
Registered
32 Posts
lukeg199 said:

Anyway i was wondering about what brand of snow tires works well with OB's. >>Snipped out>>. Any input on what you guys have tested?

Also since it sometimes gets down to -30 degrees F i was curious about the effectiveness of the engine block heater. Is that worth the money??
This might sound like the shameless plug it almost is...more or less any winter tire made in Sweden,Finland or Norway would do an excellent job. Nokians as suggested would be most likely a good choice. I've usually run my car(s) on re-threaded winter tires, they now offer the same warranties as for brand new ones here. The first ones for the Outback are re-threaded AGI's 205/55 16" with 130 spikes per tire. This is far from ideal but as anything with a narrower thread is nowhere to be found that is legal and affordable for highway use (public roads) one will have to make do. 175/82 15" or something in that neigbourhood would have been a lot better. But as 15" rims are a no-no on the new Outbacks that is unfortunately not an option.

·
Administrator
4,270 Posts
Re: Re: Winter snow tires

hkan said:
This might sound like the shameless plug it almost is...more or less any winter tire made in Sweden,Finland or Norway would do an excellent job. Nokians as suggested would be most likely a good choice.
Yup, you guys make tires about as well as you play hockey...

Pretty **** well! :D

·
I need a fog horn, ,
213 Posts
I just bought a set of Nokian RSIs. These are the replacement for the Hakka Q's- arguably the best studless snow tire in the world.

I went with dedicated tires because my new commute has a 2000' elevation change, where parts of the road have never seen sun. There is super heavy fog most days, and I can just imagine the ice that's going to form once the temp starts to drop.

I'll post intial observations once I get em- and a full report once I get a chance to use em.

·
I need a fog horn, ,
213 Posts
RSI update

so the nice fedex man dropped off my tires yesterday. the RSI's have very deep truck-like tread. these things will make send RE92s running back to Japan and crying to thier mamas about the big mean Finnish tires!

I'll have to do a side-by-side with the BFG duelers on my F250- I think the RSI's might win in the monster tire department.

I'm going to do a test fit this weekend, & I'll post some pics.

Bonus fun fact: Bridgestone is the majority shareholder of Nokian Tyre Group.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Re: RSI update

kestonh said:
so the nice fedex man dropped off my tires yesterday. the RSI's have very deep truck-like tread. these things will make send RE92s running back to Japan and crying to thier mamas about the big mean Finnish tires!

I'll have to do a side-by-side with the BFG duelers on my F250- I think the RSI's might win in the monster tire department.

Hey kestonh!!

Where are my oil drain plug washers????
:D :D :D

·
I need a fog horn, ,
213 Posts
I've gotta find them- we've had a few floods this summer. they're floating arounf in the basement somewere.

·
Administrator
4,270 Posts

kestonh said:

Hmmm... I didn't know about the RSI's, so I just looked them up and they do look pretty fierce. Fierce as in meaty and having the ability to shred through the snow :9:

Bridestone owns most of Nokian?!? :eek: They sure don't seem to show it as far as how crappy their products are in comparison for the most part... :rolleyes:

·
I need a fog horn, ,
213 Posts
yep- I found the shareholder stuff on thier history page. Nokian's site is fairly informative- and they post the good along with the bad

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So i finally made my decision on snow tires. I ended up buying the the Michelin X-Ice 215/60-r16 even though it is reccomended that i have 225's i think these will be better because of the increase surface pressure. I did a test before i installed the tires going 20 MPH on a snow covered road with the all seasons (also michelins) and it took about 50 ft to stop. Installed the new wheels and took about 15-20 ft!!! :eek:

Ive heard reports that these tires and others like the nokian haccapollettuutanta........ perform better on ice and snow than studded tires do. Pretty crazy claim but i actually think it may be possible. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
32 Posts
lukeg199 said:

Ive heard reports that these tires and others like the nokian haccapollettuutanta........ perform better on ice and snow than studded tires do. Pretty crazy claim but i actually think it may be possible. What do you guys think?
A good story but not true. There's been a lot of extensive testing done regarding this matter over here, and the overall results point to that nothing beats studded tires! Under some conditions the stud free tires gets close but not close enough. It's only in really wet, muddy mostly tarmac conditions that they hold their own.
On ice, compacted snow and basically most of the time studded tires are the best choice. Most if not all of the stud free tires are designed so as to reduce road noise. The way they make tires today also mean that a really quiet tire is a worse winter tire. It's virtually impossible to be real quiet and provide good snow,ice performance at the same time. That said, Nokians "seem to pull themselves up by the hair " providing quite excellent performance overall. However we've yet to see a studfree tire a test winner here.
But what I do agree on, is that one should always aim for as narrow winter tire as possible/comfortable but the selection in the 16" range is unfortunately limited.

PS. By the way, it's hakkapelitta.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
lukeg199 said:
haccapollettuutanta
Oh come on now, it's "Hakkapeliitta" - most easily pronounced when you have a bit of pickled herring and onion on rye bread in one hand and a glass of chilled vodka in the other.

:D

·
Registered
82 Posts
The_Lizard said:

Oh come on now, it's "Hakkapeliitta" - most easily pronounced when you have a bit of pickled herring and onion on rye bread in one hand and a glass of chilled vodka in the other.

:D
...so where is a good place to get some of that in the US?

The tires that is, I can find vodka in my freezer :D

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
We put Nokian RSI's on a Honda Accord V6 last winter and they were great. Kinda squishy in the dry but not bad in the rain and super on ic and snow. We bought them at Johns Tires in Manchester, NH.

Hakkapeliitta means "charge!" in Finnish. I emailed them......

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Anyone using Yokohama IceGuards? A friend has them on a Lexus LS430 (RWD) and they've been very pleased with them thus far. I didn't even know they made an ice tire.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Blizzacks

lukeg199 said:
haccapollettuutanta........
Bless you!!!

Ok, seriously, i've had nothin' but Blizzacks on my 2x4 Nissan Truck and Sub Outback and never had any problems.... but then again i live in Portland, OR, where we get 1 inch of slushy snow and the whole city freaks out and shuts down!!! But we do get our fair share of black ice and those tires have saved my life on several occasions!
Hope that helps,
toodles,
:7: ~MG~:7:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts

kestonh said:
so the nice fedex man dropped off my tires yesterday. the RSI's have very deep truck-like tread. ////
Something like this....

They wore 1/32nd in 4,500 miles. Canadian Driver has a review of the RSI's and WR's.

We have RSI's on a Honda as well. We have X-Ice on a Quest minivan. They're quieter but seem to wear a lot faster.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Dunlop Winter Sports M3 worked great for us last winter. Climbed through some nice snow and did not slide on any ice. WAY BETTER than the Toyo Observes we had on our last LGT. Glad the summer T1-Rs are on now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
11 Participants
VVG
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing