Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

After sliding through a couple of intersections with my horribly inadequate RE92's, I've decided it's time to pony up for some steel wheels and snow tires.

I'm either going to pick up some steel wheels from tirerack, another board member or a local boneyard. The question is what tires I should pick.

I'm running the stock 16x6.5 wheels. I want to run 15x6.0 steel rims with 205-60-15 or 195-60-15 tires.

I've been looking and asking around off-board. I'm 90% decided on the Dunlop WinterSport M3. I can get them for about 85 per tire, and I've heard nothing bad about 'em, and a lot good about 'em.

I'm also looking at Blizzak WS-50's.

Recommendations for either of those tires, or another? I'm hoping to keep it at about 90 per tire...

·
Administrator
4,269 Posts
As always I'll recommend Nokians, for a dedicated winter tire try any of the Hakka series as you can do no better :4:

There's about 30 bagillion threads about this so just look though the Tire Discussion forum or do a search :)

Also, FYI if you want to get hooked up with some Nokians at a heck of a price I'd recommend calling Ryan at www.TireFactory.net and tell him that you're from SubaruOutback.org ;)

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
etzel said:

I've been looking and asking around off-board. I'm 90% decided on the Dunlop WinterSport M3. I can get them for about 85 per tire, and I've heard nothing bad about 'em, and a lot good about 'em.

I'm also looking at Blizzak WS-50's.

Recommendations for either of those tires, or another? I'm hoping to keep it at about 90 per tire...
The M3 is excellent. The WS-50 will be better on ice but worse in every other way! They have very poor braking and handling on dry pavement, feel very spongy, and wear like butter.

The M3 is a better all-around tire unless you drive in extreme conditions.

You should also look at the Nokian RSI and the Michelin X-Ice, both are studless ice and snow tires with good all-around performance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
FastSly
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing