Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6 Limited
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently have a lease on a 17 Outback 3.6. I want to put winter tires on them. My lease is for 3 years. I was originally going to get steel wheels and buy winter tires but I'm torn because it's just a lease. Should I just buy the winter tires and switch the rims for the 3 seasons? Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2017 Outback 3.6 Touring, 2003 Outback Limited, 2001 Legacy GT Limited
96 Posts
I feel for ease of swapping them, just buy a complete set with tires and tpms if you choose. Sell the winter set up in 3 years to recoup whatever you can out of the winter set.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6 Limited
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it really matter if I don't have the tire sensors? The steel wheels from tire rack don't come with them.

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,760 Posts
Tonight I was coming home from a restaurant some 20 miles from home when my dash light came on. I stopped, and sure enough my right rear tire was headed flat thanks to a wood screw. The puncture is inboard so should be pluggable, and no damage to the tire carcass or my alloy wheel thanks to the advanced early warning of TPMS. Yes, you need them!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,194 Posts
Tonight I was coming home from a restaurant some 20 miles from home when my dash light came on. I stopped, and sure enough my right rear tire was headed flat thanks to a wood screw. The puncture is inboard so should be pluggable, and no damage to the tire carcass or my alloy wheel thanks to the advanced early warning of TPMS. Yes, you need them!
did you bust out your portable compressor, fill it up, and be read to add your own plug tomorrow in the day light,....

or did you have to laboriously put on the spare on the side of the road at night like a caveman.?

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,760 Posts
I took out my portable compressor and filled it back up to 32 lbs from the 22 it was at when I caught it. It took about a mile of driving before the TPMS light went back out. I drove 5 miles (no dash light), stopped and checked the pressure and it was holding steady, so I drove on home. I really have no idea how long I had that invader along for the ride, but it does appear to be reasonably well sealed in there. Pressures were still in the upper 20's this morning.

I'm driving my wife's van today, and will remove and attempt to plug the tire tonight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts