Subaru Outback Forums banner

Winter tire/wheel setup

957 Views 15 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  tintmandmv
Tire Wheel Car Automotive tire Vehicle

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Let’s see those winter tire wheel combos. I put winter tires on my factory Onyx wheels….I would love to find another set of ide 23 Onyx wheels and throw my summer tires on there and call it a day. But their impossible to find used.
so considering non subaru brand wheels for my winter setup (for next year since their already mounted on the factory wheels for this season)

let’s see your setup . Mine is General Altimax Arctic12’s
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness
267 Posts
My winters (Michelin X-Ice) are getting installed on Subbie rims (Outback 2021 ones) next week that I picked up on Facebook Marketplace. When the winter tires arrive, should look decent but not as slick as your setup. but the spare tire will be 3rd party rim.

I was surprised by the drama of finding the right rims, never thought it would be that complex a process. You can see that thread here

based on the learning I got there, wonder how you knew what 3rd party wheels to get for proper fitment or do you have an expert person for that?

Those Method rims look pretty slick though, doubt spouse will approve getting another set of wheels, ;)

· Registered
2017 Subaru Legacy Sport; 2023 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
171 Posts
.I would love to find another set of ide 23 Onyx wheels and throw my summer tires on there and call it a day. But their impossible to find used.
so considering non subaru brand wheels for my winter setup (for next year since their already mounted on the factory wheels for this season)
Yes it is hard to find Onyx wheels used, but not too difficult to find Limited/Touring trim wheels from 2020+ that are the same thing just not painted black. I didn't do snow tires this year since my OEM ones are new, and that is good enough for where I live, but I found a set of Limited wheels in new condition for $400 that I plan to use next winter. If I am feeling ambitious, I might try to paint them so they look like the stock Onyx wheels.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it is hard to find Onyx wheels used, but not too difficult to find Limited/Touring trim wheels from 2020+ that are the same thing just not painted black. I didn't do snow tires this year since my OEM ones are new, and that is good enough for where I live, but I found a set of Limited wheels in new condition for $400 that I plan to use next winter. If I am feeling ambitious, I might try to paint them so they look like the stock Onyx wheels.
Wondering if powdercoat would hold up on some regular Outback wheels… Problem is the factory wheels are only 7” wide so I feel like I almost have to do a factory Outback wheel so my tires fit properly.. I’m not buying new tires either , my winter and all seasons are brand new

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My winters (Michelin X-Ice) are getting installed on Subbie rims (Outback 2021 ones) next week that I picked up on Facebook Marketplace. When the winter tires arrive, should look decent but not as slick as your setup. but the spare tire will be 3rd party rim.

I was surprised by the drama of finding the right rims, never thought it would be that complex a process. You can see that thread here

based on the learning I got there, wonder how you knew what 3rd party wheels to get for proper fitment or do you have an expert person for that?

Those Method rims look pretty slick though, doubt spouse will approve getting another set of wheels, ;)
Bolt pattern and offset is what’s most important, anything else to look out for???

· Super Moderator
2020 Outback Premier 2.5i
2,082 Posts
I prefer something that matches the black of the tire and body moldings somewhat. 225/65 WS90 Blizzaks on 17" Fast Switch winter rated alloys. The rims are grey & black.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Locking hubs

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Deepest undisturbed snow I have driven in was about 17" with drifting. Sure was fun!

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Powdercoat maybe a better option?? Stronger than paint

· Registered
2022 Outback Limited XT
912 Posts
Powdercoat maybe a better option?? Stronger than paint
Also more expensive. Around here powder coat for a set of four is $450. Spray can, $15, and easy to touch up.
I had intended to use factory wheels as winter wheel/tire combo but ended up not wanting to hassle with swapping them out, buying two sets of tires since my OEMs were ready to be changed, and then also dealing with storing the set not on the vehicle.
I bought wheels l like, finished wearing out the Yokohamas, and installed Michelins Xc2. Will run them year around.

· Registered
2020 OB Touring XT AGM
5 Posts
If I really need to put my winter setup on my Outback, I would have my OEM wheels and Continental Wintercontact SIs on. But currently, I have been running my Nitto Nomad Grapplers A/Ts in Colorado.

Here are the 2 setups
I love the setup in the bottom photo! Does the graphic on the side change colors depending on lighting?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts