Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
^ So if you had a full-size spare with winter tires, how would one go about rotating them?

Or is a full-size spare for winter wheels pointless?
I wouldn't do it, at least not around here. I would carry one of my 3-season tires as a full-size spare if anything (probably for a winter road trip) and use it just to get home while driving very cautiously.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Yes. It's not a big deal. I get every even wear, and long life out of mine. Even my TripleTreds which are directional, wore evenly. Just rotate front to back and keep it aligned. I only realign when I put new tires on.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
^ But the question is how to rotate in a fifth wheel, if the tires are directional (i.e. it would only work on side of the vehicle). Stands to reason that a full-size spare with directional tire would only be helpful 50% of the time (if the damaged wheel happened to be on the correct side).

I wouldn't do it, at least not around here. I would carry one of my 3-season tires as a full-size spare if anything (probably for a winter road trip) and use it just to get home while driving very cautiously.
Makes sense. I guess a good AS tire on the fifth wheel would be sufficient in the case of damage to one of the four winter wheels.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just installed 4 Winterforce tires yesterday - just in time for some winter weather coming in. They certainly are priced right and look aggressive. Someone mentioned that there is a floaty sensation at 70 mph, and there is. Not scary, just feels like lots of squirmy tread down there.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just installed 4 Winterforce tires yesterday - just in time for some winter weather coming in. They certainly are priced right and look aggressive. Someone mentioned that there is a floaty sensation at 70 mph, and there is. Not scary, just feels like lots of squirmy tread down there.
Firestone Winterforce, Bridgestone Blizzacks and General Altima Artics Are all very good snow tires. Compare for yourself on tirerack.com.... Very little difference between the three except price. Blizzacks $10 more per tire due to popularity.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2013 Outback 2.5i limited and am looking at dedicated winter tires and wheels. I'm considering the tire rack recommendation of a 16" wheel and a 215/70R 16 tire, which would keep the revolutions/mile very close to the OEM 17" setup. My 2 main choices are the Blizzak DV-M1 and the Michelin Latitude X-Ice Xi2. I'm leaning towards the Blizzak due to the greater tread depth (14/32") and the better reviews. Anyone used this setup?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a 2013 Outback 2.5i limited and am looking at dedicated winter tires and wheels. I'm considering the tire rack recommendation of a 16" wheel and a 215/70R 16 tire, which would keep the revolutions/mile very close to the OEM 17" setup. My 2 main choices are the Blizzak DV-M1 and the Michelin Latitude X-Ice Xi2. I'm leaning towards the Blizzak due to the greater tread depth (14/32") and the better reviews. Anyone used this setup?
I have the 16 inch Blizzak combo. I had the Altimax on the same rims and both seem to float a bit. I think this may be due to the higher sidewall. Anyway I am very pleased with the Blizzaks for "off road" state forest roads covered with snow and ice. If I had to do it over I would get the 17 inch rims. It seemed harder to find tires in 16 inch, in fact Sams Club could not order "T" rated tires from any vendor for the 16 inch rims. 2 guys at Sams said the same thing, so I guess it is true. Anyway I ordered the 16 inch Blizzaks from Tirerack and I would say the Blizzaks are better for traction and braking compared to the Altimax. You should know at 7/32 the rubber compound changes in the Blizzak and Bridgestone says they do not have the same ice traction. I imagine I will just burn them off in the summer. The roads I drive on to hunt are pretty scary so I can't take the chance on marginal tires. I drove with 3 guys today and they all said the suby is very impressive with the blizzaks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have the 16 inch Blizzak combo. I had the Altimax on the same rims and both seem to float a bit. I think this may be due to the higher sidewall. Anyway I am very pleased with the Blizzaks for "off road" state forest roads covered with snow and ice. If I had to do it over I would get the 17 inch rims. It seemed harder to find tires in 16 inch, in fact Sams Club could not order "T" rated tires from any vendor for the 16 inch rims. 2 guys at Sams said the same thing, so I guess it is true. Anyway I ordered the 16 inch Blizzaks from Tirerack and I would say the Blizzaks are better for traction and braking compared to the Altimax. You should know at 7/32 the rubber compound changes in the Blizzak and Bridgestone says they do not have the same ice traction. I imagine I will just burn them off in the summer. The roads I drive on to hunt are pretty scary so I can't take the chance on marginal tires. I hunted with 3 guys today and they all said the suby is very impressive with the blizzaks.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Why x-ice2 And not X-ice3? I have the x-ice3 since thanksgiving. Put in over $1500 miles since. Drove thru' 2 nasty lake effect snow storm. Never lost traction once. Stopping distance is great. Not as noisy but definitely not as quiet as the OEM conti.

I think you can't go wrong with blizzak or x-ice. I stay with 17Inch rim, no choice for me(3.6r). You can also go with narrower tires. Nokian also makes great snow tires but hard to find dealer locally.

Wife have Yokohama ice guard snow tire on the minivan. They were surprisingly good. They are abt. $30 cheaper than blizzak per tire.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Why x-ice2 And not X-ice3? I have the x-ice3 since thanksgiving. Put in over $1500 miles since. Drove thru' 2 nasty lake effect snow storm. Never lost traction once. Stopping distance is great. Not as noisy but definitely not as quiet as the OEM conti.

I think you can't go wrong with blizzak or x-ice. I stay with 17Inch rim, no choice for me(3.6r). You can also go with narrower tires. Nokian also makes great snow tires but hard to find dealer locally.

Wife have Yokohama ice guard snow tire on the minivan. They were surprisingly good. They are abt. $30 cheaper than blizzak per tire.
According to the Michelin website, the X-ice xi3 is not available in the 215/70R 16 size, but the xi2 is. I do have some local Nokian dealers, but again they don't offer the 215/70R 16 size in any of their winter tires.

I have an older set of 16" wheels from a 2003 Outback so its cheaper for me to stay with them.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts