Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I just want to share my recent experience with the Nokian Hakka 8 (non studded) and the Bridgestone Blizzak.

For over 10 years that I drive my cars in the winter with nokian tires. I live in Quebec where winters are cold and snowy with various types of road conditions.

My car being at the dealer for a couple of days, they lends me an '18 Outback with brand new Blizzak WS80.

The Blizzak are more quiet and smooth. Grip is good but they seem to be less agressive in deep snow. Hard to tell with an Outback... even cheap tires will do the job. Emergency stopping on ice is equivalent.

BUT, the big difference is that they are much softer and it really impacted the stability of the vehicule. The Hakka is stiffer and handling is better compare to rolling effect with the Blizzak.

So, will I consider the Blizzak to eventually replace my Nokian? Maybe... it all depends on what I want to privilege. Smooth driving or better handling?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Presently with Blizzak WS80's on three daily driven family vehicles: 2013 Suzuki SX4 SB (FWD); 2008 Impreza OBS and 2017 Outback Premium. So no experience with the Nokian's, but extremely happy with the Blizzak's. I routinely drive from the Chicago area to Pit and back in the 08 OBS, most recently last night (left Chicago at 4:30 pm), ahead of the storm. I find the ride, handling and noise in the OBS exceptional on the Blizzak's!

Reactions: CarlDufault

·
Registered
2013 BRZ 2005 OBXT
231 Posts
I have always been a fan of Cooper weathermasters. Great in deep snow and slush and work fairly well on ice to boot. Not a super soft tread though so gets decent tread life.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
... 2017 Outback Premium. So no experience with the Nokian's, but extremely happy with the Blizzak's.
on 17" or 18" wheels?

Mine are 17"

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,197 Posts
I have always been a fan of Cooper weathermasters. Great in deep snow and slush and work fairly well on ice to boot. Not a super soft tread though so gets decent tread life.
I ended up going with the Cooper Weathermaster as well. It's an older design but I liked the bigger blocks and aggressive tread for going through deep snow when I need to. They also seem to do pretty good on ice and hardpack snow as well. They are a little noisier than some of the more updated tires, but I wanted my Outback to be a beast going through the snow so a little growl is to be expected.

·
Registered
06 3.0R JDM facelift SI Drive-shift paddles. 87 Brumby EA81 (Brat) 4MT D/R
613 Posts
Have had 2 sets of blizzaks - agree probably why they work better particularly on ice - IS that because they're softer.
On the down side they probably wear faster - that is reassuring - that they are probably doing their job (performing their function/task better)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a Ford Fusion with Blizzak WS70's on them about 5 years ago. They handled alright, good in snow, not amazing on slicker icy spots but were alright. Next car was a 2010 Ford Taurus SHO, purchased during the winter and threw a set of Hakka R2 SUV's on them, and holy crap did those ride nice. Great in the snow, but far superior in icy conditions to the Blizzak's. Finally, the car before my new-to-me 2015 outback was a 2012 F150, and had a set of Nokian Rotiva's (all weather), and they were still great in the winter. Those two sets of tires pretty much swayed me to stay Nokian.

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5i Convenience
334 Posts
I had Blizzaks and Nokian Hakka R on the old Legacy Wagon. Both lasted about 3-4 winters, and I liked Hakkas much better.

The Outback runs studded Nokian Hakka 8 SUV, they are noisy compared to softer studless tyres, but grip much better on ice AND they still have ~8 mm of tread left after 3.5 winters.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts