Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
'18 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Nav
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching here for awhile and my head is still spinning about winter tires. I have never bought winter tires before. Please bear with me.

Short version:

• What is everything I need to purchase for a separate set of winter wheels and tires?
Long version:

1. Will any 17x7 wheels work? (My Outback has 18x7 wheels with 225/60R18 tires. Getting best size and performance is more important than low price. I figure there are more options for 17x7 wheels and 225/65R17 tires.)
  2. Does the offset matter? The stock offset on my Outback is 55mm.
  3. Do I need to buy a hub (or whatever) to get the offset right?
  4. Can I trust installers to install the TPMS correctly?
  5. If you have used Costco for installation of separate sets, what has been your experience?
  6. What else do I need to buy besides wheels, tires, TPMS, and service?
  7. Do you have any other advice, like storage, self-installs, change timing in spring, etc.?

UPDATE (11/20/17): I decided to keep my stock wheels and am installing Nokian WRG3 225/60R18 tires.

·
Registered
2018 Limited
108 Posts
I have been searching here for awhile and my head is still spinning about winter tires. I have never bought winter tires before. Please bear with me.

Short version:

• What is everything I need to purchase for a separate set of winter wheels and tires?
[*]Will any 17x7 wheels work? (My Outback has 18x7 wheels with 225/60R18 tires. Getting best size and performance is more important than low price. I figure there are more options for 17x7 wheels and 225/65R17 tires.)

Make sure that the diameter is the same as your current sheet/tire combo. Check the website for comparison:
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=225-60r18-245-55r18

[*]Does the offset matter? The stock offset on my Outback is 55mm.

Yes

[*]Do I need to buy a hub (or whatever) to get the offset right?

Just buy the right wheels to start with.

[*]Can I trust installers to install the TPMS correctly?

Yes why wouldn't they?

[*]If you have used Costco for installation of separate sets, what has been your experience?

Costco tire center is great. Over 15 yrs of experience with them.

[*]What else do I need to buy besides wheels, tires, TPMS, and service?

What service? Install?
Since you're getting a separate set, make sure they are winter snow tires and not all season. Depending on where you are, studs may be appropriate and legal.

[*]Do you have any other advice, like storage, self-installs, change timing in spring, etc.?

Storing your summer/all season set? I would change them sooner than later in the spring, but what have you done in the past?

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, really helps.

Regarding offset, how do I know for sure what is acceptable? I am looking at various websites that list the wheels that are compatible with my car, but I am not sure if that is totally reliable. The offsets are all 40mm or less, while my stock offset is 55mm. I know decreasing offset is usually OK (because it usually just makes the wheel sit farther away from suspension, etc.). But I am not sure if that much offset decrease is OK.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would be confident in Tirerack?s offerings. If anything I have found them to be too conservative in what fits and what doesn?t. We just picked up a new 2017 Limited and ordered some 17x7.5 et40 Sport Edition A8-2 wheels in dark silver with 225/65-17 Blizzak WS80 tires for around $950.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I decided to keep my stock wheels and am installing Nokian WRG3 225/60R18 tires. They are described as being more of a winter tire than normal all-season tires, but they can be driven in the summer. I will see and report back in about a year.

I see a maximum of 10 heavy snow days per year (and typically about 5 heavy snow days). I decided having separate winter wheels and tires is not worth the hassle.

Also, I am OK with replacing my tires every 30k miles or so if necessary. It actually amazes me that tires can even last that long.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a question, would Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV 225/60 R 18 104 R XL work with my 2018 2.5i Limitied Outback? I think they will and see Walmart has a good price for them. Please respond if anyone knows either way. thanks

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a question, would Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV 225/60 R 18 104 R XL work with my 2018 2.5i Limitied Outback? I think they will and see Walmart has a good price for them. Please respond if anyone knows either way. thanks
Yes, those tires are the same size and have a higher weight rating (104 vs 100), but their speed rating (R) is lower than OEM speed rating (H). You will have to call ahead to find a shop that will mount tires with a lower speed rating. My local Costco, for example, would not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, those tires are the same size and have a higher weight rating (104 vs 100), but their speed rating (R) is lower than OEM speed rating (H). You will have to call ahead to find a shop that will mount tires with a lower speed rating. My local Costco, for example, would not.
Ok, thanks for the advice. I will find out.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited w/ Eyesight
3 Posts
How's the tread on your Nokian WRG3s after a summer with them on? I'm thinking of installing on my '18 Outback year-round, and I really only get about two weeks worth of intense snow storms. I'm just tired of these awful Bridgestone Duellers. Had some bad experience with them in Cleveland on some ice and snow.

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback XT (MT) & 2016 Subaru Outback Ltd
158 Posts
I got about 40,000 from stock tires on 2016 Outback. Maybe could get more if it was not winter time threatening us with snow (4/32"). I replaced them with Michelin Primacy MXM4 and despite them being more than stock tires I am happy with the purchase.

I think also I have Michelin Primacy MXM4 (can't remember exactly) on my Outback 08 and close to 50,000. No issues really, sitting at about 6/32".

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How's the tread on your Nokian WRG3s after a summer with them on? I'm thinking of installing on my '18 Outback year-round, and I really only get about two weeks worth of intense snow storms. I'm just tired of these awful Bridgestone Duellers. Had some bad experience with them in Cleveland on some ice and snow.
Tread started at 11/12” and is now at 9/11” after 11k miles. I am guessing that is decent. This is my first time ever tracking tire tread. Anyway, like I said, I am OK with replacing at 30k.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts