Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess after lurking for several months, I might as well post up with a reasonable question :)

I have read through a few snow tire threads which recommended great tires for snow, but my situation has limited snow and many of those thread recommendations said that they do not perform well on dry roads.

I life in Northern NM (Santa Fe) and we don't get a ton of snow. Most of the winter, the roads are simply clear and cold. however, we do get a fair bit of ice when moisture rolls through. Any thoughts on winter tires for mainly cold/ice with some snow? (17" wheels/outback). (20 mi commute on HWY).

Thanks!
-Gomer

·
Registered
2011 2.5i Steel Silver Metallic, Limited , Moonroof
125 Posts
If you are looking for better cold temp and ice traction, look at some of the more performance oriented winter tires. These tires are often sold as "winter preformance" and will have stiffer/lower profile sidewalls, shallower tread depths, and different compounds and tread designs that bias them towards a more sporting feel and dry weather performance at the cost of deep snow performance.

Things like
-pirelli winter sottozero
-dunlop sp wintersport 3d
-michelin pilot alpin pa3
-michelin primacy alpin pa3
-bridgestone blizzak lm60

The problem will be finding a size compatible with your obw oem wheels if thats the route you're going, depending on your year.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,547 Posts
ice is the problem

I THINK triple treads have a center section with an abrasive in it to help with ice? maybe someone can confirm.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. Tirerack says I need 225/60-17.
I'll keep an eye out for the performance style tires and see what I can come up with locally.
Unfortunately, 17" wheels make it a little harder for finding winter swaps.

·
Registered
2011 2.5i Steel Silver Metallic, Limited , Moonroof
125 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Tirerack says I need 225/60-17.
I'll keep an eye out for the performance style tires and see what I can come up with locally.
Unfortunately, 17" wheels make it a little harder for finding winter swaps.
I think tirerack has the pirelli sottozeros in 225/55/17 which would cause a slight speedometer error but not too bad.
Also check discount tire direct, they have stuff.
You might consider either buying aftermarket 17" alloys and mounting your winter tires to that or getting a set of 16" steel wheels. Tirerack/dtd has a recommended package on 16" wheels (steel or alloy). This is sized to allow for you to use cheaper and more plentiful 16" tires. The tire aspect is sized to be similar to your 17" oem wheels so you get little speedo error. That depends on whether you have a 2.5i or the 3.6. The 3.6 can't take the 16" wheels.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R limited w/eyesight Subaru Outback....sold my 2011, Subaru Outback, 2,5i Spt Pack.
159 Posts
Try also looking at the Nokian WRG2...they're all weather, snow, Ice and a summer tire. Had them before. They come in 17" as well. They have the DOT winter emblem for this all rounder. Google WRG2.

·
Registered
'18 3.6R Ltd
731 Posts
Try also looking at the Nokian WRG2...they're all weather, snow, Ice and a summer tire. Had them before. They come in 17" as well. They have the DOT winter emblem for this all rounder. Google WRG2.
I'll second that.

Years ago, I moved to Santa Fe with an Audi wearing studded snows. They worked great when it did snow, of course, but slipped and rumbled the rest of the time. Eventually I got an STI with Nokians, the previous generation of these WRG2s. Best ever! HPH

·
Registered
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
If you are looking for better cold temp and ice traction, look at some of the more performance oriented winter tires.
SNIP
-dunlop sp wintersport 3D
I agree - a set of performance winter tires will be fine for what you describe, and wonderful for when the roads are clear and dry (but cold). I really liked the Wintersport 3Ds I had on our A4. They do not grip quite as tenaciously as real ice tires like the Michelin X-Ice, but they have a less squirmy compound, so they handle a lot better and also last longer.

I liked them so much that I think I will put a set on my wife's TL SH-AWD......

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
2010 2.5i Outback, 2015 2.5i Legacy w/Eyesight
595 Posts
Are you looking for dedicated dry/ice tire?

The Michelin X-ice Xi3 comes in 225/60/17, has a 40,000 mile tread life warranty and supposedly has excellent dry road manners according to the reviews I've read. It's brand new this year, and given the 40,000 mile tread life warranty and excellent dry road handling of it's previous generation (Xi2), it sounds like it would be a good fit for your needs if you're looking for a dedicated winter tire.

·
Registered
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
Are you looking for dedicated dry/ice tire?

The Michelin X-ice Xi3 comes in 225/60/17, has a 40,000 mile tread life warranty and supposedly has excellent dry road manners according to the reviews I've read. It's brand new this year, and given the 40,000 mile tread life warranty and excellent dry road handling of it's previous generation (Xi2), it sounds like it would be a good fit for your needs if you're looking for a dedicated winter tire.
I have the X-Ice II on my OB (and also my son's Audi Coupe quattro) and it does NOT handle anywhere as well as a performance winter tire. It is pretty decent, but it's still squirmy, with only moderate lateral grip.

I had never heard of the X-Ice 3 - so I read up on it and I agree it would be a great choice, and one I will keep in mind for my Acura. They have added the interlocking siping (same as Dunlop's 3D siping) which improves the dry pavement handling. Here is a great article: ... Review: Michelin X-Ice Xi3.

Tire Rack's page; ... Michelin*X-Ice Xi3

These aren't cheap tires, but they are very good tires.....

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

1 - 12 of 12 Posts