Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Simple question here... I'm a new owner of a 2007 Outback and I love it so far. Winter is coming and I wonder what brand of winter tires I should buy?

I live and drive mostly in Montreal on paved road. I don't need the best or the most expensive tires, I just want good tires, safe for my family, at a good price... 150$ each ?

Any suggestions ?

Thanks !

·
Registered
125 Posts
If you search "winter tires" there are a zillion threads about winter tires on the forums. That being said it depends on what size wheels you have.

Depending on the size General Altimax Arctics are a great tire and usually a good value. They are a bit louder than the best tires and don't handle as well on dry, warm roads, but they kick in the snow. To get the price per tire under $150 you are probably going to have to order online and find an installer that is willing to mount and balance for 10-15 per tire.

Places like discounttiredirect.com and tirerack.com periodically run specials too, its worth doing some research to see if there are $50-100 rebates available with purchase of a set of tires, can change what you can afford.

·
Registered
261 Posts
As stated above, search...you'll find lots more details. Also, TireRack has run many tests, usually involving the Blizzak, X-Ice, Graspic, and Extreme Winter Contact.

I personally run the Blizzak (WS-70 on my OB, WS-60 on my wife's Cavalier) and love it. Last October, I got to test my A/S tires in about four inches of snow, and it wasn't too pretty. I felt that my old Civic with WS-60s was safer than my OB with A/S tires. Once I put the Blizzaks on, my OB had no problems going through almost a foot of snow (I think I was dragging a bit of snow underneath). Went down a road, had to do a three point turn to get out, and she went right through it like a tank. No slip, no trouble....just told her to go and she went. She's hard to break loose in a parking lot :'(

Honestly though, the next post on here could quite possibly be "down with the Blizzaks....X-Ice forever!", and I frankly don't care. They, as well as the aforementioned Altimax Arctic are fantastic snow tires, and any snow tire (even the Winterforce) will outperform the best A/S tire in the snow. Overall, seems like the Blizzak does better in deep snow, but the X-Ice lasts longer. Softer compound for pure snow vs. slightly harder for some snow and some road (in case there's not snow all day every day for the whole winter). Honestly, you can't lose.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
beachedwhale42
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing