Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2017 OB 2.5 Lim/ 2005 STI 400 WHP
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am from Maryland. I am headed to Canada for a week. Forecasted high temps of - 5 and lows of - 20.

I have stock tires in good condition. I am not buying snow tires for one trip.

My stock battery is 12 mons old. ?

But what reasonable things should I check first?

Thanks for all brainstorming and suggestions.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R; 2008 Outback 2.5i; 2013 Mazda 3 iTouring
58 Posts
I would periodically check my tire pressure due to the extreme cold weather. In my case, I have a tire pump in each of my cars just in case. Also, many forum members are concerned about the small (capacity) OEM battery so that would worry me some.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Hook battery up to a charger, make sure it is good shape.

Have winter windshield washer fluid.

Make sure tires are properly inflated.

Check all bulbs/fluids.

Have winter supplies in car.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,291 Posts
Does Canada require winter tires for Visitors?

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,692 Posts
hook battery up to a charger, make sure it is good shape.

Have winter windshield washer fluid.

Make sure tires are properly inflated.

Check all bulbs/fluids.

Have winter supplies in car.
qftt

Also wish to add the learning of when and when not to use Traction Control.

·
Registered
2015 OB 3.6R ES/Nav and 2016 OB 2.5i ES
3 Posts
FYI, -25C = -13F and that's not really cold. it's the wind chill that will get you and make it feel much much colder.
Living here, with a 2015 3.6 OB, never had a problem with the battery even when it gets close to -40 (same in F). It just takes a few moments to crank over. If you are paranoid about the battery, just pick up a set of booster cables, but then again if you are AAA (CAA here) you can always get a boost. I'd say half the people here have a set of cables, and all cabbies do as well, and will gladly lend a hand.
The most important is to have a spare jug or two of wiper fluid, especially if you will be in the southern parts where slush is the norm. Second is a good snow brush if it's forecast for snow over 10cm (4").
This can be true 4 wheel country if you are off a Provincial or Federal highway, but most counties have great plowing programs too.
Snow tires are mandatory if you live in Quebec, but not if you're visiting.
I believe the safest car in winter Canada is an OB. That's why we have 2 now.
Welcome to Canada - enjoy the visit.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,194 Posts
if you are driving around with blue washer fluid, hand pump it out and swap it for all temp, or winter stuff. with a -25 F on the label.

(no need to throw the blue stuff out, makes for nice windex around the house. ...or save it for spring ).

I travel with a lithium jump it pack, and a tire pump. (90% of the time,...I transfer a plastic storage box to what I am driving that day.)

I don't carry a candle in a metal coffee can and all the things you need to camp out for days, but I am only in rural upstate NY,
not actually the "great white north".

I carry a warm blanket on the back seat, summer or winter I don't leave home without daily supplies of granola bars/ soda/ water. (I just don't leave them in the car to stop them from freezing or attracting mice). such things are handy even if you don't get stuck, but if they close a road to plow or sand, leaving you out longer then you intended. (dressing for the climate is also important, however I know youth that dress like it is july,...presuming the car will always start and never be stuck or wrecked.

if you hit a moose on a rural road, disabling the car from idling, and you have no blanket, you will need a bowie knife to slice open the dead moose to crawl inside and keep warm.

_________

are those -5 and -20 temps, F or C? ( if C was stated that is high of 23F and low of -4 F ,...pretty typical for the areas along the US border,

...if that was F stated it would be -20C high, and -28 C low pretty cold like northern areas)

_________

that Lame-OEM 490cca battery might not cut it. vs. something with 660cca or better. (like someone maybe jumping your car if you don't have a place to put it inside,...I think lots of Canadian cars have corded battery warmers, and engine warmers).

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-present/391217-gen5-replacing-original-lame-battery-better.html

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,109 Posts
Remember that your tire pressures will drop ~1 psi for each 10 degrees F drop in temperature.

Reactions: tuswm

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
qftt

Also wish to add the learning of when and when not to use Traction Control.
Qftt?

Having worked at ski resorts and on the beach I am actually confident in my driving abilities. I am also taking a small aluminum shovel just in case.

I think i will also add an Anker jumper box.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FYI, -25C = -13F and that's not really cold. it's the wind chill that will get you and make it feel much much colder.
Living here, with a 2015 3.6 OB, never had a problem with the battery even when it gets close to -40 (same in F). It just takes a few moments to crank over. If you are paranoid about the battery, just pick up a set of booster cables, but then again if you are AAA (CAA here) you can always get a boost. I'd say half the people here have a set of cables, and all cabbies do as well, and will gladly lend a hand.
The most important is to have a spare jug or two of wiper fluid, especially if you will be in the southern parts where slush is the norm. Second is a good snow brush if it's forecast for snow over 10cm (4").
This can be true 4 wheel country if you are off a Provincial or Federal highway, but most counties have great plowing programs too.
Snow tires are mandatory if you live in Quebec, but not if you're visiting.
I believe the safest car in winter Canada is an OB. That's why we have 2 now.
Welcome to Canada - enjoy the visit.
We are going to mount Tremblant. The forcast is calling for - 20 f. So I just wanted to plan for a bit worse plus I think our house is at a little altitude.

But that is conforming to hear about your battery working well. I mean mine is practically brand new.

Last year when I was driving around Montréal I do remember going through a Sh1t ton of slush and washer fluid. Running out makes driving to the next gas station nearly impossible. Thanks for reminding me of that.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Check on cold weather fluid. I plan to use up the blue stuff on the 12 hour drive up.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Convenience
1,315 Posts
I am from Maryland. I am headed to Canada for a week. Forecasted high temps of - 5 and lows of - 20.

I have stock tires in good condition. I am not buying snow tires for one trip.

My stock battery is 12 mons old. ?

Thanks for all brainstorming and suggestions.

You should be OK for the most part. I see Baltimore is around freezing temps now, so I would guess you have windshield fluid rated to -30 deg C? If you don't for whatever reason, siphon out what you have and fill with cold-weather fluid.

Top up your tire pressure to 36/34 (f/r) and you should be OK for the trip. Check it once when you're up here.

Look on the battery top for the CCA rating, that might be your biggest concern. If you have a 500+ CCA battery, I wouldn't be too concerned. If you want peace of mind, pick up an Everstart 24 or 34 battery and you will not have any problems.

Make sure your coolant reservoir is at or near the full mark when the engine is cold.

Other stuff would be snacks, a blanket just in case, a 1 quart container filled with road salt or wood ash just in case you or someone is stuck on sheet ice (it provides the grit to get a car out). And beer/wine/spirits (check the allowances); you will find the prices of alcohol here are ridiculously taxed (not so bad in Quebec).

But that is conforming to hear about your battery working well. I mean mine is practically brand new.
He's in Ontario, it seems OBs destined for Canada had 525 CCA batteries put in while many in the US have had 365 CCA batteries. This is why I mentioned for you to look at your battery top.

·
Registered
'16 STi, '17 Outback
112 Posts
We are going to get hammer with snow this weekend, so bring:

- Tow straps (so others can tow you out)
- Booster cables
- Some cereal bars.
- Power bricks to charge your phone.
- A shovel
- A brush
- Blanket(s), plural is important.

You should also get "traction strips", they are available at RV stores, the OEM bridgestone really aren't ideal in snow, they will be OK, but not ideal.

If you are traveling in Ontario, please do not hog the passing lanes on the hwy, we drive fast because we need to cover long distances, go with the flow of traffic, that's more important than the speed limit sign, most 400 hwys is 100km/h (62mph), but realistically most people do 120-130 (75-80), if you somehow find yourself need to call Subaru roadside assistance , it does work in Canada, your AAA will also work with CAA, but do be prepare to wait, when weather gets bad, they get busy and the blankets should keep you warm.

And like everyone says, bring washer fluid, you can use rain-x washer fluid, it has some de-icing function, not a lot, but it works.

otherwise its really no big difference, we just drive our cars the same way as everyone else.

Have fun!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,194 Posts
Qftt?

Having worked at ski resorts and on the beach I am actually confident in my driving abilities. I am also taking a small aluminum shovel just in case.

I think i will also add an Anker jumper box.

I bought one of these a few years ago to replace a existing lead jump pack, I did so after checking some test comparisons online. this is the one that can be ignored for months and not need a recharge. ...I let mine sit for 5 months or more and when I open it to check the battery level it is always still full.

the one I am linking here is a newer HD variety. with a little more power and better cables then the original XP-10

https://www.amazon.com/Antigravity-Batteries-XP-10-HD-MICRO-START-Jump-Starter/dp/B074VGWLF3/

edit: and a I carry a Viair 85 pump. I wish it was this one though:
https://www.amazon.com/Viair-00088-88P-Portable-Compressor/dp/B005ASY23I/

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
survived...

life time average MPG = 29.9
fully loaded, cold weather, big box, snow = 23 MPG

wind burn on face.

car started at -38 one morning

I took 10 PSI out of the tires and the car drove much better

windshield wipers didn't work well around -30 f

blue fluid froze so I got -49 f fluid.

trip driving cliff notes
day 1 DC to lake george NY state. 20 f
day 2 Christmas day on the road before 5 am. 8 f 4" snow 87 north deserted not plowed did not see another car for over 2 hours. max speed for the first 4 hours was 40 mph dues to heavy snow fall and un plowed roads. heavy snow continue all the way till mount tredbaunt. trip ave about 14 MPG
4 days of super cold starts, long idle, 15 minute drive to ski slope and back.
drive home:-38 start, didnt see positive temp numbers till New jersey.

trip 23.8 mpg ave

·
Read Only
453 Posts
At all times I have with me:

Pro battery booster like this one:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Schumacher-12-Volt-Professional-Grade-Car-Battery-Jump-Pack-PSJ-2212/205737118

NATO folding shovel in case you have to dig yourself out.

Roll of bounty

Full socket set including full screw driver set.

at least two flashlights

good 12v tire inflator (not the $20 types)

Inverter

Jumper cables

Towing straps (in case you need to be pulled out of a ditch or you may need to pull someone else out.

Small fire extinguisher

Gloves

Window scraper + brush

Phone charger

If you carry all of this stuff at all times, you never have to think "did I forget something"

1 - 20 of 20 Posts