Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where should my wiper blades be positioned in relation to the deicer grid in the windshield? I believe mine are too high. Should they be on the thick red element? The shop manual said something about markings that should show it but I can't find any.

·
Registered
16,295 Posts
The shop manual said something about markings that should show it but I can't find any.
Has the windshield been replaced? If so, perhaps the new one doesn't have the same markings.

I don't think the precise location of the wipers, when parked, is of great significance, as long as they're in the area, not impinging on your view (don't look awkwardly high), and the overall sweep is good; for example, the driver blade isn't going too high and hitting the edge of the windshield at the left side "A" pillar.

If one or both is too high, you could lower it. Perhaps post a photo showing the blade and the grid, so others with a 2nd Gen car could see if adjustment is suggested.

In my view, the so-called wiper deicer really isn't meant to, and probably wouldn't, deice the wiper blade beyond it's contact point with the glass. Rather, the deicer is intended to soften/melt ice at the bottom of the windshield where the wipers park so that there's less chance the wiper will be stuck to the windshield when the wiper is turned on. In this case, as long as the wiper is in the area being heated, which is indicated by the grid, it should be okay.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No its the original windshield. The shop manual said there should be marks, and showed where they would be, but didn't say what they look like. Mine are higher than the grid, Ill have to see if I can see a way to lower them into the grids. Thanks for the pic, I defiantly have to lower mine looking at yours.

·
Premium Member
11,882 Posts
Just for your information: you need a flat head screw driver and a 15mm socket with a ratchet. Lift the pivot bolt cover with the screw driver then loosen and remove the nut on the shaft. Tilt the wiper arm up away for the windshield and work the wiper assembly off the pivot shaft. Reposition it pushing the arm assembly down on to the pivot before laying the arm back on the windshield. Then tighten down the nut. If the splines on the arm are stripped you'll need another arm assembly. You should be able to just reposition it. Be careful with rust.

Set it to where it is just at the top row of the heater element.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
cardoc
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing