Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2002 OB and wanted to replace the wiper blades. Two questions: It has Bosch Evolution on it...is this a good blade?

What sizes do I need? Looking it up on the Internet it ranges from 24" to 22" for drivers side and 17-18" for passengers. I did measure what's on there, but who knows if they put the right size.

·
Super Moderator
12,109 Posts
I find a 20-22 does much better on the driver's side, the 24's have always lost contact during the sweep for me. 18 is good for the passenger. Rear is a 15, but a 16 should also clear ok.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I got Bosch Evolutions front and back, 22" drivers side, 20" passengers side and a 16" in the rear. They are some of the best wipers i've used so far. quiet and wipe well :)

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Based on my own experience, I suggest a front left side 22-23", right side 18-19", and a rear 16". If you do the shorter left, pair with the long right, and vice-versa: 22" left + 19" right; 23" left + 18" right. The fancy arc shaped plastic blades might be overpriced overkill for the rears, as they aren't in the airflow that is a big part of their benefit on the front.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I got similar Anco blades which look like the Evolution.
I ended up shipping them all back to the factory when I happened to notice the midsection of the squeegee part of the blade had separated. All I could envision is that center mount plastic and the mount plastic at each end contacting a dirty windshield without my noticing it and there would be arc-scratches in the windshield.

Either carry spare blades around with you and keep your eye on them or go back to the old style. I had Anco send me replacements but in the traditional Winter Blade rubber-booted blades with red ends.

I also found that, during freezing rain, the new blades held the ice to the point where I had to keep reaching out the window and flicking the operating blade! When that failed to remove all the ice, I ended up having to stop and bend every inch of the blade to remove the ice. Between that and keeping an eye out for separations, how can one concentrate on DRIVING?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Sounds to me like really horrid weather, which makes any driving hard. Your experience seems to be the exception, not the rule. Also, if your car is wiper heater equipped, the ice shouldn't build up too much. Also seems you are condemning the whole genre based on the examples from a single manufacturer. Don't think that's fair. Sounds more to me like Anco failed on you.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Yes, there is the heated lower portion of windshield. At temperatures around 10 degrees (F) and colder, that amounts to a fart in a whirlwind. I've seen ICE on the heated portion of windshield it gets so cold here, and that ice had to be scraped off, it doesn't melt.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
At 10°F, you shouldn't be getting rain. It should already be frozen into snow or sleet. If its that ugly, are you warming up the car and allowing the defogger and mirror heaters to get working?

Maybe this design isn't for your severe conditions, but that doesn't really call for you to shout dire things at everyone.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I run Bosh Icons in 22D/20P 16R and they work great. I did have the driver's blade start to peel away from the wiper itself, but this was when I was ready to replace them anyway. If it happens again, I might consider different ones. I've heard a lot of good about the PIAAs.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I got similar Anco blades which look like the Evolution.
I ended up shipping them all back to the factory when I happened to notice the midsection of the squeegee part of the blade had separated. All I could envision is that center mount plastic and the mount plastic at each end contacting a dirty windshield without my noticing it and there would be arc-scratches in the windshield.

Either carry spare blades around with you and keep your eye on them or go back to the old style. I had Anco send me replacements but in the traditional Winter Blade rubber-booted blades with red ends.

I also found that, during freezing rain, the new blades held the ice to the point where I had to keep reaching out the window and flicking the operating blade! When that failed to remove all the ice, I ended up having to stop and bend every inch of the blade to remove the ice. Between that and keeping an eye out for separations, how can one concentrate on DRIVING?
I also just returned a brand new set of andco single beam b/c of poor performance. 45 degree rain and they chattered something awful. Went back to Bosch Evo.

·
Registered
514 Posts
At 10°F, you shouldn't be getting rain. It should already be frozen into snow or sleet. If its that ugly, are you warming up the car and allowing the defogger and mirror heaters to get working?

Maybe this design isn't for your severe conditions, but that doesn't really call for you to shout dire things at everyone.
It is called FREEZING-RAIN in my neck of the woods, and we have it often! And, yes, it can and does happen at extremely low temperatures, even down to 10 degrees (F).

As for warming up the car, yes, that gets done on every cold day before I begin driving and before my wife starts driving, which includes turning on the wiper heated bottom section of the WS.

As for my "shouting dire things," if there is any chance my windshield could become scratched, to me, that would be something dire, indeed!

I simply wished to share a little tidbit of information I have found for anyone with that type of blade to keep an eye on them. Of course, we all know you cannot keep an eye on each wiper blade while cruising down the road behind a tractor trailer while the wipers are in motion.

In over 40 years of owning cars and driving, I have never had the squeegee (wiping) portion of a wiper blade become separated! Wipers always have shown they need replacing by not cleaning the rain droplets off the windshield. Before the streaking gets really bad, I install new winter blades.

The problem lies in the fact that, for certain blades, any separation will most likely begin damaging the windshield from the start, depending a lot on how much dirt (sand, salt, etc) happens to be on the windshield and how much sand, salt, etc is hitting my windshield that gets thrown up as mist from the vehicle's tires in front of me and even from some tires on vehicles going the opposite direction on a two-lane road.

My insurance doesn't pay for a new windshield.
I PAY, out of my own pocket, so this is something that I definitely DON'T WANT to happen!

I know I would appreciate someone telling me about some failures they experienced with regard to any consumer item that I use regularly which, left unnoticed, could very quickly go from being a "good thing" to something that is in the process of causing costly damage!

When driving in winter conditions, I don't want to have to even think about my wipers and whether they are separating - or in some other way - failing without my noticing the problem until it's too late! Of course, once the failure has occurred, the windshield then begins to get arc-shaped scratches from the hard plastic that is in the center and at both ends of those blades which gets progressively worse the longer I (or my wife) don't notice it!

If you don't like my posts, that is OK, too. You can simply block from reading anything I write from your control panel located at:
User CP in toolbar>Profile on left>Settings & Options>Edit Ignore List - add my username to that list so you never have to read my comments again.

Cheers!~

·
Registered
16,967 Posts
take a look at the Trico 14b for the rear.

I upgraded the wipers on my wrx to the 08 STI style 'aero' wipers. But I'm not sure they will work on the Outback, currently it has Trico exactfit w'ever they call them. They work well.

Maybe newer Forester or other blades would work. Anyone have the lengths of the various areo style Soob blades?

·
Registered
672 Posts
I got whatever the book at Walmart called for. I think 22" & 20" front (RainX), and 15" rear (Anco).

The rear wasn't wiping the top 4-5" or so. I exchanged it for a 16". No difference. So, I slightly bent the rear arm. Problem solved.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I also just returned a brand new set of andco single beam b/c of poor performance. 45 degree rain and they chattered something awful. Went back to Bosch Evo.
I have found that wipers, when off (parked), will typically stop with the wiping (squeegee) portion of the wiper angled the way the wiper was traveling when the wiper stopped, in most instances, the wipers are on a 'down' motion when shut off. This parking of the wipers every time they are shut off, leaving the squeegee in the bent position of the wiper that was in a downward motion results in having the squeegee permanently bent upward. Then, if you notice the wiper in operation, instead of the squeegee moving with the up and down (back and forth) motion of the wiper, you will see that the squeegee is on the proper angle while the wipers are going down (right). However, each swipe upwards (or left) you will notice the squeegee is still in the bent-upward position which often results in chatter of the wiper blade in that direction - as well as poor wiping and streaking.

To help eliminate that problem, with both my vehicles, I frequently lift the parked wiper arms and lay the parked wiper arms so they will put upward pressure against the squeegee so it is now bent in the downward position (opposite from the way it always stops if you don't touch it).

In time, this evens out the squeegee so it moves back and forth as it should when the wipers go one direction and the other direction, instead of going AGAINST the windshield on the upward/left stroke.

You will see that, on some expensive cars, when the wipers park themselves, the motor will bring the wipers up just a tad before shutting off the wiper movement thus making the squeegee park in the middle or opposite the way they would park when stopped on just a down-stroke.

A 1971 Cadillac I used to drive actually hid the parked wipers behind the rear of the hood. On that car, under the wiper arms, there was a little ramp-like block on each side, so when you turned them off, the arms would go fully down behind the raised portion of the hood's rear which, in turn would then be raised by these little ramps which, in turn, lifted the wiper blade completely off the windshield thus eliminating altogether the issue of where the squeegee is upon parked blades!

I think a lot of times, people buy new wipers when the squeegee is actually bent one way and stays that way, chattering as the wiper goes in the opposite direction than it should be going with respect to motion and the position (angle) of the squeegee(s).

Another way to resolve the issue is to wipe the wiper squeegee with rubbing alcohol to remove all dirt, grease and grime and if possible, rotate them 180 degrees where they connect to the arm, so they will start parking the opposite way that they have been.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I can't speak for the sizes on the 02, but I hear good things about the Bosch Evolutions. I actually bought the PIAA Si-Tech blades for my 06 when I bought her (end of May 2011), and am still running them right now. They work just as good now as they were when they were new, which is good, considering the pair was $50-60. They were glorious in the snow last year, and I expect them to be just as awesome this winter. I also very much love the wiper de-icers :-D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Bosch Icons here. I have used them for about 8 years on the Outback, Mercedes 300TD and the F250.

I use stock lenghts on the Outback.

When I fill with petrol, I always cleand the windshield and wipe of the blades. It always turns the paper towel black when wiping.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
13 Participants
cardoc
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing