Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback xt
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am less than thrilled with the OEM wiper blades in the snow. This is our first Outback and having trouble finding the correct wiper blade sizes since most sites have not been updated. The manual isn't cleary.

What size blades for I need to replace all three?

The car exceeded every expectation I had in the snow.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium / 2020 2.5i Premium
2,523 Posts
Measure the length of each blade and buy the replacement at Costco by length. I am sure there is an adapter in the package that will fit. The blades are labeled by length.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2020 Forester Limited (Spouse) 2016 Outback Limited (Daughter)
550 Posts
Keep in mind that wiper blades are covered under your Subaru warranty...as are brake pads.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2020 Forester Limited (Spouse) 2016 Outback Limited (Daughter)
550 Posts
Wiper blades are covered. I don't think brake pads are covered.
They are.

Wear Item Limited Warranty
WEAR ITEM COVERAGE is 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Items covered are brake pad/shoe linings, clutch linings, and wiper blades.

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,157 Posts
Bosch ICONs are the best winter blade I've found: https://www.boschautoparts.com/en/auto/wiper-blades/icon-wiper-blades

We get freezing rain, ice, sleet, snow, mush, etc, etc in New England. These are completely shielded/enclosed so ice does not accumulate.
I second the Icons. Best blades I've used. But I find the OEM blades quite good in snow. The only issue seems to be that when there is a lot of powdery snow on the windshield, the wipers move very fast and sweep underneath the snow. But that is to be expected since these are wipers and not shovels.

·
Registered
421 Posts
They are.
Not when I had to have the front and rear brakes done a few months ago on my 2017 Forester. It was still covered by my Gold Plus warranty and the dealer double checked and said they were not covered.

Maybe the question is whether the Gold Plus warranty covers them. I thought it was the same as the original bumper to bumper warranty.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,344 Posts
Not when I had to have the front and rear brakes done a few months ago on my 2017 Forester. It was still covered by my Gold Plus warranty and the dealer double checked and said they were not covered.

Maybe the question is whether the Gold Plus warranty covers them. I thought it was the same as the original bumper to bumper warranty.
I'm almost certain the the wipers and brake pads are only covered under the 3-year bumper to bumper warranty and not the Gold Plus warranty. I think there are some other differences as well but none come to mind at the moment.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
2,043 Posts

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
905 Posts
I just physically measured mine and getting ready to order
new ones. I'm getting measurements of 26" and 18" in the front but 16" in the rear.
Exact same measurements I just got.
The passenger side appears that 18" is the max; a 19" would increase the radius by 1/2" but would too close to the windshield edge in the parked position. Just checked Michelin at https://www.costco.com/michelin-guardian-hybrid-wiper-blade.product.100454345.html where they only go up to 2018 which has a 17" listed which should also work for the p-side
The rear measures a clear 16" but increasing the radius by 1/2" (uning a 17" blade) appears to be within acceptable operational limits.

What is missing here is that Subaru designed a wiper blade not easily adaptable by 2nd party providers. No credit to Subaru for being inconsiderate to us customers.

·
Registered
2020 Outback touring
85 Posts
I replaced mine a few weeks ago for a "newer" model from Subaru that fits on the Gen 6 . They are not considered winter blades but they are much bigger/thicker and do a pretty good job with the snow/ice. Better than the cute tinny ones on the car !!!!
Since I've always replaced my blades anyways for the winter, although they are a "little uglier" they will be fine for the winter season.

Luc
South shore Montreal

·
Registered
905 Posts
The two front blades from Subaru are now $36+T, when checked at my local dealer. If the blade connectors were one of the many on the market I could purchase the same size blades for $12. Just looking to the future when they are not covered.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Exact same measurements I just got.
The passenger side appears that 18" is the max; a 19" would increase the radius by 1/2" but would too close to the windshield edge in the parked position. Just checked Michelin at https://www.costco.com/michelin-guardian-hybrid-wiper-blade.product.100454345.html where they only go up to 2018 which has a 17" listed which should also work for the p-side
The rear measures a clear 16" but increasing the radius by 1/2" (uning a 17" blade) appears to be within acceptable operational limits.

What is missing here is that Subaru designed a wiper blade not easily adaptable by 2nd party providers. No credit to Subaru for being inconsiderate to us customers.
What are you talking about? The connectors for the wipers are standard connections, you can buy 26 inch and 18 inch wipes by several brands at Walmart. Then just get the rear wiper blade in the correct size which usually is labeled as r16

·
Registered
905 Posts
My package did not have the proper adaptor. I was going to test a new wiper on the vehicle before purchasing more. I went to the wiper site and the last listed OB was 2018. I went... Oh well, Turns out Michelin does list 2020 OB on another site; problem with the listed passenger side showing the wrong length, 17" vs 18", and no length given for the rear blade. Phoned Michelin, got referred to a wiper number only, left a message for call back Monday. Hope to get validation and the proper adapters for a final conclusion.

·
Registered
141 Posts
My package did not have the proper adaptor. I was going to test a new wiper on the vehicle before purchasing more. I went to the wiper site and the last listed OB was 2018. I went... Oh well, Turns out Michelin does list 2020 OB on another site; problem with the listed passenger side showing the wrong length, 17" vs 18", and no length given for the rear blade. Phoned Michelin, got referred to a wiper number only, left a message for call back Monday. Hope to get validation and the proper adapters for a final conclusion.
I have a 2020 limited xt. I'm down in Miami but will be back Tuesday and can confirm then. I find it very odd they would make a proprietary adapter for a wiper blade. Not even BMW does that

·
Registered
905 Posts
I have a 2020 limited xt. I'm down in Miami but will be back Tuesday and can confirm then. I find it very odd they would make a proprietary adapter for a wiper blade. Not even BMW does that
Yep, I thought the same but found some posts that verified. I always thought there were government regulations to cover this along with headlights...

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Limited w/NAV & Moonroof
66 Posts
No offense to everyone who has stated that the wipers are covered under warranty....I think the Subaru blades suck....and have no problem spending $30 or $40 for my own blades. As someone stated earlier, Bosch Icon rock. I swear by them and have been using them in my 2011 Outback for as long as I have owned the car - 10 years. The rear is a standard Bosch Icon rear fit 16". The front wipers are a different story. That passenger wiper has an integrated sprayer that I think will get in the way of the Bosch Icons. Can anyone confirm that they fit?
Thanks!

1 - 20 of 74 Posts