Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
284 Posts
Not that anyone is taking this seriously, but the 2020 eyesight manual says to use only Subaru wiper blades.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Not that anyone is taking this seriously, but the 2020 eyesight manual says to use only Subaru wiper blades.
snicker The oven knob on the Viking stove was broken when we moved into our current house. Finally got around to replacing it and ran across a similar warning for a plastic oven knob. Viking knob: $120. Generic: $29. I'm even a little mad about the $29, but jeepers....

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
snicker The oven knob on the Viking stove was broken when we moved into our current house. Finally got around to replacing it and ran across a similar warning for a plastic oven knob. Viking knob: $120. Generic: $29. I'm even a little mad about the $29, but jeepers....
The "hardware" section in the box stores, where they sell the nuts and bolts, can have drawers full of knobs too. Old timey hardware stores can be great for this. If the replacements don't match, just change them all out for the new style and put some spares in the drawer too.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx, Magnetite Gray, no sunroof or NAV
30 Posts
Having just experienced major visibility issues while driving the car in its first real snowstorm (a doozie!), imagine my delight when this thread popped up. I've had great luck w/ Bosch wipers on previous cars, and read with interest the testimonials of the Icon line. I did stop at my favorite auto parts store on my way home with the intention of replacing all 3 wipers, but they didn't have one of the 3 in stock, so left with none, intending to return when all three could be fitted. However, the counter guy claimed that the Bosch Focus line was the only one that was compatible with my Onyx - reason being Subaru's "unique"(?) attachment system.....comments on this?

I struck out searching the net for Icon/Focus comparisons - anyone here with Focus experience, especially vs. Icon?

BTW, I have no issue with spending $ over warranty replacement if performance/lifespan is measurably better.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I can see why this might be better for Subaru Eyesight, assuming it's not just pure marketing BS:

Yeah, thanks for this. Count me in as a skeptic when it comes to corporate marketing though.

The other day, my water streaks were freezing, requiring constant shots of fluid to clear. And with the heavy snowfall, the fluid nozzles would get covered with snow, rendering them inoperative.....frustrating.

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
There is such a thing as heated windshield wiper blades but they're not super effective either.

·
Registered
141 Posts
There is such a thing as heated windshield wiper blades but they're not super effective either.

Pretty sure jaguar, maybe land rover but same company offers a heated front windshield in some models. Uses thin wires inside the glass to keep it from freezing, some people have complained in regular weather that the sight of the thin wires can be distracting though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Pretty sure jaguar, maybe land rover but same company offers a heated front windshield in some models. Uses thin wires inside the glass to keep it from freezing, some people have complained in regular weather that the sight of the thin wires can be distracting though.
I've always wondered why no one has ever offered a quick defrost option - similar to the above, or an electric hot air solution while a cold car warms enough to defrost using the usual coolant temp method. Not so much anymore since the heated garage :)! Embedded windshield wiring, though......one more feature adding to the expense should replacement be necessary.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've always wondered why no one has ever offered a quick defrost option - similar to the above, or an electric hot air solution while a cold car warms enough to defrost using the usual coolant temp method. Not so much anymore since the heated garage :)! Embedded windshield wiring, though......one more feature adding to the expense should replacement be necessary.
Forgot to mention: I was taught early on to keep a cold windshield - enough heat down low to keep the tootsies warm, but nothing in the way of defrost while driving if at all possible, and this is what I generally strive for. It works far more often than not. I did note the other day that there was apparently some vent system bleed to the bottom center of the windshield which is where I assume the defrost vents are located and I was getting some water beading there, but it wasn't nearly as obscuring as driver's left third which is where I was getting my freezing.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I can see why this might be better for Subaru Eyesight, assuming it's not just pure marketing BS:

Formally volunteering to be the test dummy on this. Icon on the drivers side (and probably rear), Focus on the passenger. Pics/report in 4 months.

Honestly, the marketing reel sounds like it was assembled from atoms of purest bullshitonioum.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
FEI 92% of Bosch shareholder profits are paid to a charitable foundation. For me, that scores them points and I give their products some extra consideration.

OTOH the Icon wipers I tried a few years back didn't last as long as I expected, and were just too expensive. I went back to RainX beams.

But quite satisfied with our B dishwasher :).

21 - 40 of 74 Posts