Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,908 Posts
OTOH the Icon wipers I tried a few years back didn't last as long as I expected and I went back to RainX beams.
I'm all for corporate responsibility all things being equal but like you I want what's best for the car.

I just checked the Rain-X website and they don't list a replacement for a 2020 Outback except for the rear wiper blade. Too bad because I like the idea of Silicone wipers, but the Denso Top Lock mount compatibility is a must.

According to Bosch, both the Focus and Envision blades will fit our cars - and the Envision blades might be better. The Envision blades contain no adapters and are built for Denso Top Lock. The Focus blades are more universal and have multiple adapters including the Denso Top Lock.

So if I had to choose a Bosch blade it would be the Envision for the windshield

EN26OE 26" blade
EN18OE 18" blade

For the rear window they have 2 choices:

H410 with steel frame (@ByebyeVolvo says is good but fiddly to install)
R1617 with plastic frame (@ByebyeVolvo says is junk)

Edit: I checked AutoZone and they seem to indicate that the Envision comes with adapters, so I don't know if Bosch is wrong or AutoZone is.

Despite the website saying Envision has "no adapters" their installation video shows adapters: Now I can't see that there's any difference between Focus and Envision.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT, 2007 Outback 2.5
191 Posts
However, the counter guy claimed that the Bosch Focus line was the only one that was compatible with my Onyx - reason being Subaru's "unique"(?) attachment system.....comments on this?
That’s not true, the “unique attachment system” is available on both Icon and Focus. However, the Focus wipers are much nicer than the Icons. I think the Focus may be silicone. Neither one is as good as Trico, but Trico doesn’t make wipers with the attachment system. Look up the size/specific wiper that Bosch recomends. It will have a couple extra letters after the size, maybe OE, I don’t remember. You need those for the front wipers. You need to replace all three wipers. I have no idea what Subaru factory wipers are made out of, but they become rigid in the cold and don’t work. I think they are OK down to like 35f, but below that they are almost worse than not having wipers. I made the mistake of only replacing the front wipers but will remedy that mistake as soon as I’m near an auto parts store.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT, 2007 Outback 2.5
191 Posts
I checked the Icons on Bosch's website and it said it wasn't compatible with the 2020 Outback - odd that Bosch's own website isn't accurate.
I’m not sure. I would assume the site is correct, but I really thought Advanced Auto had both. Between a manufacturer website and my foggy memory, I think it is obvious which to trust. If the Icons don’t fit, that’s an even better reason to get the Focus. @SilverOnyx you recommended the Envision. I have nothing against them, just have never tried a pair, so I can’t comment.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2020 Forester Limited (Spouse) 2016 Outback Limited (Daughter)
552 Posts
In case it hasn't already been mentioned...the wiper blades are covered under Subaru's 3/36 OEM warranty (so are brake pads) unlike most other manufacturers. In writing, even. So there's no way I'd spend money on wiper blades during that OEM warranty period, personally.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Limited
13 Posts
Not when I had to have the front and rear brakes done a few months ago on my 2017 Forester. It was still covered by my Gold Plus warranty and the dealer double checked and said they were not covered.

Maybe the question is whether the Gold Plus warranty covers them. I thought it was the same as the original bumper to bumper warranty.
The wiper blades and brakes are only covered for 1 year under the bumper to bumper warranty.

·
Registered
2021 Touring XT in Crystal White Pearl
189 Posts
Late to this post so maybe it has already been mentioned but, can't we buy OEM inserts and not have to replace the entire blade? Just did this to my CRV, way cheaper than buying whole thing.

·
Premium Member
6,908 Posts
Late to this post so maybe it has already been mentioned but, can't we buy OEM inserts and not have to replace the entire blade? Just did this to my CRV, way cheaper than buying whole thing.
It might be possible in the rear but in the front it has those beam style wipers that don't take inserts, but maybe you could retrofit the regular style wipers that do accept inserts?

edit: I guess you can do it?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
if you paid for wipers in the first 3/36, you dun' paid too much.

from the "vehicle warranty" section:

Wear Item Limited Warranty

WEAR ITEM COVERAGE is 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Items covered are brake pad/shoe linings, clutch linings, and wiper blades.

edit oops just saw that Jim in PA already quoted this in # 6.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx, Magnetite Gray, no sunroof or NAV
30 Posts
I had all three wipers replaced w/ Bosch Focus yesterday. Short road trip this AM. Rear wiper was horrible - worse than the one that came with the car (5600 mi.). Significant streaking from road snot/salt, multiple shots of fluid, heat on/off made no difference. Doing my research beforehand, there were 2 options for the rear - one w/ plastic frame, one w/ metal frame. I was given the plastic one, and it just don't git it folks, so be warned. The parts store swapped with me at no charge (metal frame unit a bit more expensive). The metal frame unit comes w/ 3 mounting clips (plastic frame unit has "universal" mount) Once the proper clip was mounted, it was frustratingly problematic getting the wiper clipped onto the arm, but once accomplished, the difference was night and day. Storm performance TBD.....

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT Autumn Metallic Green 3/13/20
36 Posts
Forgot to mention: I was taught early on to keep a cold windshield - enough heat down low to keep the tootsies warm, but nothing in the way of defrost while driving if at all possible, and this is what I generally strive for. It works far more often than not. I did note the other day that there was apparently some vent system bleed to the bottom center of the windshield which is where I assume the defrost vents are located and I was getting some water beading there, but it wasn't nearly as obscuring as driver's left third which is where I was getting my freezing.
Absolutely agree. Keep windshield cold and stuff just blows off while moving. Works best on lonely country roads. Problems
1: need to keep moving or stuff accumulates and can begin to stick
2: if in traffic and they have treated road with salt or brine, it gets picked up into air and can accumulate on windshield, causing snow to melt rather than just blow off.

·
Premium Member
6,908 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Limited
13 Posts
Although I had the dealer replace the blades on my 2020 under warranty, I used to own a 2016 and that is exactly what I did. I purchased the OEM inserts from the dealer and swapped them out myself. Easy and straight forward task.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts