Subaru Outback Forums banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT, 2007 Outback 2.5
189 Posts
I'm starting to think that there is a design problem with the rear wiper. I've tried three now (Subaru, Bosch, Trico beam) and they all have the same problem. The ends contact the window, but the center where the wiper mounts to the arm does not.

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
Could it be spring tension on the arm itself that's the problem?

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
Maybe? Not sure how to check or adjust that.
Me neither but I suppose I could put a kitchen scale under the arm to gauge the pressure? After trying three different blades and all of them have the same problem, the arm and glass are the only constants, and we can't change the glass.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx, Magnetite Gray, no sunroof or NAV
30 Posts
I fully agree that insufficient pressure is the problem. And I can't see how one might alter/adjust it. Both the plastic and metal frame Bosch rears are unacceptable and I replaced the original Subaru because it wasn't doing the job either. A rear window center smear is by far my biggest pet peeve with an otherwise excellent winter driver (audio quality issues notwithstanding!)

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
I wonder if cold weather exacerbates the problem - I'm in a tropical climate and mine doesn't have the center smear/gap problem.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well, from a semi educated prospective - pressure on the glass should be a function of spring tension, yes? The spring is metal. Metal expands when hot, shrinks when cold, if my liberal arts education serves me well (???) If the spring has shrunk/contracted with cold, that should create more pressure....

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
Well, from a semi educated prospective - pressure on the glass should be a function of spring tension, yes? The spring is metal. Metal expands when hot, shrinks when cold, if my liberal arts education serves me well (???) If the spring has shrunk/contracted with cold, that should create more pressure....
I was thinking of the spring in the blade itself not the arm!

·
Registered
30 Posts
You might have a point, but I’m convinced the arm is at fault. There is virtually no “snap” when I return it to the operating position. I should try holding finger pressure on the arm while it is in continuous mode.

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
You might have a point, but I’m convinced the arm is at fault. There is virtually no “snap” when I return it to the operating position. I should try holding finger pressure on the arm while it is in continuous mode.
It might be possible to piggyback a second spring or install a slightly stronger spring.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Actually, as I think about it, I believe the arm spring would be in a relaxed position when the arm is against the glass - and stretched only when the arm is raised.....so......just dunno. This is something I would love to find a solution for but a couple of quick looks have given me no ideas yet.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I haven’t worked up the gumption to try to pull the arm off yet...just fussed with it enough to understand that it won’t necessarily be easy. Might try after I get home next week from tomorrow’s long road trip.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts