Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Our 2011 OB seems to need a wiper replacement. Thanks to the forum here I've learned that they might be covered in a 3yr/36000 mile warranty. I think we're over the 36k. With my other cars (this is our first subaru!) I usually just by the Bosch or Rainx entire arm and blade replacements. I tried once to replace just the rubber and it was a mess. So I bought some new ones for our 2011 OB and as I was changing out the entire arm I noticed it seemed like the OB blade that came with my car was much better quality. I am by no means an expert or cars (or blades).

My question is: would I be better off just changing out the rubber and keeping the arm blade? It seems like its much more sturdy, better build than the blade arm asseembly I purchased from Bosch (for about $19).

thanks!

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT, 1984 Porsche 944
277 Posts
In my experience, Bosh blades are terrible. ANCO blades are my preferred. They last a long time, do a good job, and are inexpensive. Also, make sure you use Rain-X wiper fluid. It really does help. A lot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks for the tip. So would I be wrong to trash the original wiper arms that came with my 2011 subaru?

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 Premium
723 Posts
There are three parts to the wiper assembly. (1) The wiper arm that attaches to the car, (2) The wiper blade carrier that attaches to the wiper arm and holds the rubber wiper blade, and (3) The rubber wiper bade.

The wiper arm lasts for years. The blade carrier needs infrequent replacement. The blade needs annual (more-or-less) replacement. Often the blade and the blade carrier are sold together for easier installation and to make sure you get a blade that properly fits the carrier.

I usually buy the wiper blade carrier and the wiper blade as a set.

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,289 Posts
a lot of auto-part store carry the rubber blade refill but do not display them. you have to ask for it.
also there are narrow, std and Wide refills. Make sure it matches your car's.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
I've used the Bosch Icon blades and they are fantastic. I've used them on all our vehicles and won't use anything else.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
I swore by the Bosch micro edges for years- they worked well and it was easy to reload the blade carriers with new blades for cheap (think $3 per side) and you could get the refills anywhere. I don't know when I noticed, but in recent years it seems like the refills got a lot harder to find, and the part quality declined. The icon series costs a lot more but they work like the old micro edges.

These days I tend to buy whatever is on sale, haven't found a wiper worth seeking out.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
I've used a few sets of Bosch Icons and the blade started to peel away from the arm on every one of them after only a couple of months. They did work fantastically before that happened. If the longevity weren't an issue, they would be perfect.

I have Rain-X Latitudes on my 2008 now and they're holding up okay so far, but it's only been about two months. I've heard great things about PIAA blades. The only reason I didn't buy them this time around is because the wipers that came on my 2008 were unbearably bad and I didn't want to wait for an order to come in.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
In my experience, Bosh blades are terrible. ANCO blades are my preferred. They last a long time, do a good job, and are inexpensive. Also, make sure you use Rain-X wiper fluid. It really does help. A lot.
I use Prestone's green Bug Washer fluid in the summer and it works quite well. I used the Rain-X before, and though I liked the beading effect I've always found that the wipers tend to smear a little when Rain-X is applied to the windshield.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,528 Posts
Hello,
Our 2011 OB seems to need a wiper replacement. Thanks to the forum here I've learned that they might be covered in a 3yr/36000 mile warranty. I think we're over the 36k. With my other cars (this is our first subaru!) I usually just by the Bosch or Rainx entire arm and blade replacements. I tried once to replace just the rubber and it was a mess. So I bought some new ones for our 2011 OB and as I was changing out the entire arm I noticed it seemed like the OB blade that came with my car was much better quality. I am by no means an expert or cars (or blades).

My question is: would I be better off just changing out the rubber and keeping the arm blade? It seems like its much more sturdy, better build than the blade arm asseembly I purchased from Bosch (for about $19).

thanks!
The best wiper blades (in my opinion) are VALEO. They are the OEM wiper blades for major European manufacturers, such as Benz/Audi/VW/Volvo, etc.
http://www.valeowipersusa.com/index.php?q=faq

I buy them at TireRack or Amazon and I change them once a year or, if they are still good, every time I change my oil. I have been using them for over 15 years now!

·
Registered
2016 Outback Ltd 2.5 eyesight Nav push button Hole in roof, Lapis Blue
738 Posts
Since the original Subaru blades lasted for 36k why not just buy the refills at the dealership, you said yourself the "carrier" if you want to call it that was a much better quality anyway. If I can get 2-3 years out of the originals I'm sold. I can't stand wipers that don't work well and for my other cars it seams as though I through away the whole think twice a year and I don't buy cheap ones, most on the market are just plan CRAP.

It will be dealer refills for me, I don't need them yet but plan to pickup spares for all 3 on my next trip past the dealership!

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
I'd expect any wiper to last a long time on new, unpitted glass.

Similarly, I expect any wiper to wear more quickly on an old windshield.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,528 Posts
I'd expect any wiper to last a long time on new, unpitted glass.

Similarly, I expect any wiper to wear more quickly on an old windshield.
Well, it depends in what climate zone you live. In Calif and Fl, wiper blades last an average 3 to 6 months. The rear ones even shorter. I am not on a commission with Valeo but I suggest you try them. You will stay with them for ever!

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,094 Posts
If you're going to spend $20 each on the Rain-X, spend $10 more on Silblades and get FIVE YEARS out of them. I put them on my last vehicle, I actually got 5 years and then some, they were still on it when I got rid of it for the OB. They have a 5 year warranty.

www.silblabe.com They're made of silicone in Upstate New York (admittedly it's literally around the corner from me, maybe a 15 minute drive).

They also have 3 options - the standard hinged frame, the "uni-blade" which has no hinges just a spring bar molded into the blade and the "flex blade" which looks very much like the OE frames.

No, I don't work for them, I've just used them on my last 2 vehicles and will put them on the OB when I can't get free ones from the dealer anymore.

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Limited
951 Posts
I've had great luck with PIAA wiper blades and refills. I live in NC and they hold up well.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback Premium | 2007 Outback 2.5i
342 Posts
I lean toward Bosch wipers but I have to say that I've noticed a difference in windshield washing fluid. I have been using Rain-X Washer Fluid (orange) and feel that I get better cleaning and longer lasting wipers since switching away from the cheap blue stuff.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i Premium/DDD Graphite Gray Metallic OP#2 Weathertec Window Deflectors
405 Posts
If you're going to spend $20 each on the Rain-X, spend $10 more on Silblades and get FIVE YEARS out of them. I put them on my last vehicle, I actually got 5 years and then some, they were still on it when I got rid of it for the OB. They have a 5 year warranty.

www.silblabe.com They're made of silicone in Upstate New York (admittedly it's literally around the corner from me, maybe a 15 minute drive).

They also have 3 options - the standard hinged frame, the "uni-blade" which has no hinges just a spring bar molded into the blade and the "flex blade" which looks very much like the OE frames.

No, I don't work for them, I've just used them on my last 2 vehicles and will put them on the OB when I can't get free ones from the dealer anymore.
Which of the four did you buy? Is one better than the other? Do you know? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,094 Posts
Which of the four did you buy? Is one better than the other? Do you know? Thanks in advance.
I had the ones that had no exposed metal, I believe that's the FlexBlade. The UniBlade looks to be similar to the OE style. The blades parts that contact the window are all made of the same material, it really comes to personal preference rather than performance. The FlexBlade matched the style of wiper that came on my previous vehicle, if I were to get for the Outback I'd probably go with the UniBlade.

If you want to go all out you can even get the regular ones (REALLY old-style hinged mount) with colored blades, in a limited selection of colors.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts