Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 3L LL Bean Outback
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My front windshield wipers (on a 2000 Outback) are overextending such that the driver's side wiper is (briefly) going off the windshield when the wipers completely extend. Initially, the wipers perform appropriately, but after 10 or 15 wipes this anomaly occurs and continues until I leave the car turned off for a day or so. There's quite a bit of play when the wipers are in the parked position. I can move the wipers about 3-4 inches when they're parked.

I'm looking into the possible causes and apparently the bushings are often the problem. It would seem that I would need to (eventually) remove the cowl to reach the bushings. I'm wondering whether replacing the bushings requires removal of the entire rod, or if I can replace them while leaving the rod in place?

I also don't immediately see compatible bushings on sites like autozone. The ones advertised may fit, but I'm not sure. Would these bushings be available at the Subaru dealer?

Thanks

·
Registered
288 Posts
2000's are different from earlier models.
I dont see separate bushings listed.
Best to just get from salvage yard. Make sure you get the same side, as the arms are different lengths.

O.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my '99 OBW limited. The driver's side wiper knocks into the front left pillar always. Is it the linkage having worn. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought my outback last week. I noticed this same problem last week. What part number on the drawing are you planing on replacing?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Check that the 14mm nut that secures arm is tight and that the shaft grooves are not worn.
As stated in OP the 2000 MY wipers are different. Check opposedforces.

O.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
make sure the hold down nut isn't loose, but sounds unlikely.

Subaru doesn't sell the bushing and no one lists a direct fit part.

there's a bushing package in the HELP section of all autoparts stores - one of the style of bushings in there will work on the Subaru. i've done it and it fixes this issue.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,112 Posts
Grossgary's post here is helpful: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/892401-post11.html

As he mentions the bushings are not meant to be replaceable in the 2nd gen (2000-2004) wiper linkage assemblies. You can source a used one from a parts recycler for about $50. The linkage is only held on with three bolts and one clip wire harness connector, so dead simple to remove. I replaced mine last year and it has made it through this wet winter here in the east.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
All you have to do is move the wiper arm few notches back... if it's worn out, put a small stainless steel nail or screw there and tighten it....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts