Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping someone has had this same problem, it is certainly a new one to me! My rear windshield washer was spurting like a fountain (OK, I'm exaggerating a bit but it does shoot up about 3 inches) whenever I accelerate from a stop. The mechanic said the check valve was sticking open so it was replaced. Well, it still shoots up! Of course, they will try again and install another check valve but I find it hard to believe that a brand new part failed. Any suggestions what else should be checked?

Thank you!!

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,559 Posts
I'm hoping someone has had this same problem, it is certainly a new one to me! My rear windshield washer was spurting like a fountain (OK, I'm exaggerating a bit but it does shoot up about 3 inches) whenever I accelerate from a stop. The mechanic said the check valve was sticking open so it was replaced. Well, it still shoots up! Of course, they will try again and install another check valve but I find it hard to believe that a brand new part failed. Any suggestions what else should be checked?

Thank you!!
did the mechanic even test his repair????

is there debris in the washer reservoir? Front washers work OK?

car, year, mileage and condition could be helpful.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5 CVT
128 Posts
Well, it's always possible. First, are you sure the replaced it and didn't just try to fix it? Was the vlv installed properly? Is the fluid container over flowing? Maybe you just have to run some out to get it to stop? I would think the vlv is a simple design. Actually I am surprised there even is a vlv. A motor pushes the fluid to the window and if the motor is not running I'm not sure why fluid would want to run through the hose. Sorry probably not much help.

·
Registered
18,047 Posts
There was a thread here not too long ago with a similar problem which, I believe, was traced to the check valve. The valve is needed to prevent fluid from flowing back to the reservoir, which would lead to delays before the spray appears when the washer pump is turned on. The valve opens when the pump is on, and closes at other times. This will also prevent fluid from pouring out the nozzle when acceleration and gravity tend to push the fluid backwards.

I believe earlier model years have the valve at the engine compartment section of the pipe, while later years have it in the pipe near the nozzle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry about not supplying more info....I have a 1999 Outback, 86,000 miles, in good condition.

Yes, the mechanic claims he tested it. Obviously not! Front washers work just fine. I ran the back washer for about 20 seconds to get rid of some of the fluid but it still spurts up! This is maddening...for a $6 part and $60 labor! Could it be an electrical problem?

·
Registered
18,047 Posts
Not an electrical problem if the pump motor isn't running when this happens. And if it were, say, an intermittent contact at the switch, which is about the only place it could happen, it wouldn't be only when accelerating.

Here's a thread ( http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/80-electrical-electronics/19104-incontinent-rear-wiper-jet-electrical-problem.html) I found that has the exact same symptoms. There's links (post #10) to diagrams of the piping to the rear washer. The in-line check valve is called the Valve-Head lamp washer. The two different diagrams seem to depend on where the rear hatch nozzle is located (above or below the window).

Perhaps if you can locate the check valve on your car, it can be pulled out and tested to see if leaks. (It should go in one way, or there's probably an arrow pointing in the direction of flow.)

Or, here's another thread with additional information, and an alternate solution: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/111-gen-1-1995-1999/43409-odd-rear-window-washer-problem.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the additional info. At least now I have a new list of questions for the mechanic!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts