Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm away from home and my wife is telling me that my wipers are only running at high speed. Mist, low and intermittent are not working. Anyone know what I need to replace?

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,181 Posts
Sounds like a failed wiper switch.
Not sure that's supported by the symptoms. The low speed sweep is used for low speed continuous operation, mist, intermittent, and wash, whereas high speed sweep is only used for high speed continuous operation. It would be unusual to have all of the switch positions associated with the low sweep to fail simultaneously. But it is possible, given it all goes through one controller board.

Likely the less expensive option to check first is the wiper motor: There are two motor windings; these are associated with low speed and high speed sweep. I suspect the problem might be here. Can you get a salvage yard unit and try a swap here first?

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Premium
1,020 Posts
Decades ago my family rented a Crown Vic for a cross country trip. Every time the engine oil dipstick was pulled, it disturbed the connector at the wiper motor. The result was similar with only high speed wiper function.
I always do the cheap things first...checking connections and wires even though they are usually bombproof these days (supposedly ford was too with the elephant tug-of-war commercial pulling an electrical connector) but still cheap to check.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
791 Posts
^^ I am impressed that you were checking the oil in a rental car. Almost nobody would bother to do that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Turns out that it's just the mist and intermittent functions that don't work. The high and low speed work fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts