Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium, Tech Package
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

This is my first Subaru and I've just about given up on them....so far, I've had my steering column replaced, driver's seat "leather" crack, causing it to need to be replaced, had the hatch alignment worked on at the dealer for three weeks. changed the windscreen due to a stress crack and a myriad of other annoyances.

Of late, the car occasionally just "bongs" while driving along with no apparent reason...

My latest problem, the wipers and sprayers SUCK! Driving in SW Ontario, where there is a tonne of salt on the road at highway speeds, the wipers (which i JUST REPLACED) are all but useless, i went through two jugs of washer fluid on a 200K round trip.

They just streak the salt all over the windscreen and i'n thinking about trading the car in for something else as this is really annoying!

Is it just me? Does anyone else have the same issue, The sprayers seem to work fine, but the blade just lifts off the windshield (for the bottom half of the wipe) at anything over 100Kph...

Help? :confused::confused::roadtrip:

it's a 2016 outback 2.5i loaded..

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2011 WRX, 2015 Legacy 3.6r loaded and a 2016 Camaro 2SS.
123 Posts
Hello all,

This is my first Subaru and I've just about given up on them....so far, I've had my steering column replaced, driver's seat "leather" crack, causing it to need to be replaced, had the hatch alignment worked on at the dealer for three weeks. changed the windscreen due to a stress crack and a myriad of other annoyances.

Of late, the car occasionally just "bongs" while driving along with no apparent reason...

My latest problem, the wipers and sprayers SUCK! Driving in SW Ontario, where there is a tonne of salt on the road at highway speeds, the wipers (which i JUST REPLACED) are all but useless, i went through two jugs of washer fluid on a 200K round trip.

They just streak the salt all over the windscreen and i'n thinking about trading the car in for something else as this is really annoying!

Is it just me? Does anyone else have the same issue, The sprayers seem to work fine, but the blade just lifts off the windshield (for the bottom half of the wipe) at anything over 100Kph...

its you!

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,861 Posts
I haven't been overly impressed with the wipers but I've had worse. But so far I'm not impressed with the wiper de-icer or whatever they call it. It definitely works but all it does is create a slushy mess in the wiper well when it is snowing hard and then it freezes more solid than it would have if it were just left alone to begin with. I almost wish there was an easy way to turn that off and still be able to use the heated mirrors and rear defrost.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Try Bosch ones. I had Rain-X Wipers long ago and they would flop all over the place. The Bosch ones are the only ones I've had aftermarket that held as good as the OEMs. Sadly, they seem to start getting streaks after 3 months or so. Which is a heck of a replacement schedule vs the 12 months on the OEMs.

·
Registered
2017 2.5 Touring
1,412 Posts
Try Bosch ones. I had Rain-X Wipers long ago and they would flop all over the place. The Bosch ones are the only ones I've had aftermarket that held as good as the OEMs. Sadly, they seem to start getting streaks after 3 months or so. Which is a heck of a replacement schedule vs the 12 months on the OEMs.
Why not just go to the dealer and get refills for the OEM's?
Everyone seems to agree that they are really good, and refills are under $10 each. Of course, if you have thrown the EOM blades away, the refill won't work.
Oh, and remember, the whole car has a 3 year warranty, including wipers.

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Navigation
3,461 Posts
Hello all,

Your profile info says premium trim. That came with leather seats in 2016?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Why not just go to the dealer and get refills for the OEM's?
Everyone seems to agree that they are really good, and refills are under $10 each. Of course, if you have thrown the EOM blades away, the refill won't work.
Oh, and remember, the whole car has a 3 year warranty, including wipers.
Well, what happened to me is I was getting the car inspected and a shop said I had to change the wipers to pass inspection. This was past the warranty. So not at the dealer. Of course, they throw away the wiper blades . . . And the refills at the local dealers are like $35 for the set, so not really cheaper than the Bosch after market. Plus making an appointment, driving 40 miles to the dealer, etc is not worth it vs getting the Bosch delivered to my house by Amazon and spending 10 minutes installing them.

If Amazon or someone sold the OEM with arms as a kit for even $60 for the set I'd order them, cause they last longer. But I don't think you can get them shipped to you quickly for any reasonable price.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5 Limited with Nav, Premium Audio and Eyesight
81 Posts
Drove from SC to TN last weekend during a pretty heavy snowstorm. For a while, we were even driving behind a salt truck that was spraying liquid salt right in front of us. The wiper blades and washer performed exceptionally. In fact, the spray pattern for the washers is so much better than the one on my Infiniti.

The only problems we had were the snow accumulating on the wipers while it was snowing very hard. We had to stop a couple times to wipe it off. And, the snow and ice accumulating on the LED headlight covers and freezing. LED's don't get hot enough to melt it. I actually see this as a potential problem for a lot of people. Subaru will need to either incorporate a heating element or washer system for the headlights in the future.

David

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R LBP "Dingo"
643 Posts
Hello all,

200k round trip? That's a heck of a long trip! LOL :grin2:

Seriously, I get that these are definitely irritants. The most serious being the steering column. But virtually every car sold in the USA and Canada in the last 10-15 years has been recalled at some point, and in many cases for things far more serious than the steering column. The rest of the items are minor annoyances but I get that the sum total of them could turn you off on the car. What you do about that...is entirely your decision. You're on a Subaru forum, so most of the folks here are either going to heckle you or advise you to keep the car.

Personally, I love my OB. I can't imagine ever getting rid of Dingo. And I do mean 'ever'.

I've noticed no problems with my wipers or the washer. They seem to work quite well. But maybe that's because I have the 3.6R! >:)

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2.5i
339 Posts
My experience with the wipers is mixed. I was driving on the interstate as precipitation was changing between rain and snow. The downstroke was great and cleaned the windshield. The upstroke was lousy, with the windshield messy immediately following the blades. I don't know whether the blades were actually trailing water or bouncing, or if water was being blown up the windshield from the hood (speed was 50-70 mph). This result is from one trip - the car's pretty new and we haven't had heavy rain/snow/sleet/wind other than that one time this winter, so I don't know the cause yet.

I do like the Bosch Aerotwins - got at least a year out of them on my old VW.

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Pearl Outback 3.6R Premier
195 Posts
I am getting quite frustrated with my wipers/wash this winter. The passenger side does not spray high enough and it smears, frequently causing EyeSight to disable which in turn cancels cruise control. I'm not sure different wipers would help as there just is not enough fluid to clean the windshield properly at the top. My dealer says washers are functioning as designed. I've tried a few different brands of fluid too hoping one might spray better - viscosity in cold differences?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.