Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
(two) 2002 Subaru Outbacks, H4, Automatics.
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2002 outback 2.5 four cylinder. I replaced the head gaskets, timing belt and water pump this weekend. Everything has gone fine except I have one wire that I don't remember were it connects. :-( (I should have taken more pictures, but messed this one up.)

The wire comes out of the wiring harness close to the starter motor. It is a fairly large gauge black with with a yellow stripe. It is not the long similar wire that connects to the top bolt on the starter motor/bell housing. It is much shorter about 6 or so inches from where it comes out of the wiring harness.

In the terrible picture attached it is wire number 1, wire number 2 is the black with a yellow strip connected to the top starter bolt.

Can any of you tell me where it connects to?

Thanks.

John Harvey

Attachments

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,151 Posts
I tried, I did, man.

The pic is just not good enough. Get another pic, get several.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,578 Posts
@traildogck definitely some CSI-level stuff trying to decipher the picture... lol "ENHANCE"

Looks like a ring terminal on the end? Maybe 3/16" thick?

There's a ground cable that attached to the metal plate on the firewall (where the AC line bracket anchors), but that runs to the transmission and shouldn't have needed to be removed.

Did you remove the large, positive cable from the starter solenoid?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are some pictures that you can actually see the wire in (sorry about last night's mess).

The wire is the one sticking almost straight up in pictures 1 and 2. I've included picture 3 to show the main battery ground is hooked up to the top bolt on the starter motor. Also the firewall to manifold ground is hooked up as well. The main power, and the signal wire, to the starter are hooked up as well.

The mystery wire appears (to me) to be a ground wire.

John

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,151 Posts
I agree it's a ground. Engine ground the bracket on the TGV, or Intake manifold?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think it will reach that far. I think I'll just hook it up to a bolt on the bell housing.

·
Registered
2000 Outback Limited, Dual Range 5 Speed
904 Posts
Ground from engine to inner fender? This would need to be removed to remove the engine.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,578 Posts
That's the factory ground wire from the battery/main harness. It belongs on the little bracket at the upper starter bolt.

The wire currently on there is not OE. Probably a replacement cable assembly with a pre-attached negative battery terminal. I'd try to find the other end of the B/Y wire near the battery and re-attach both ends. The factory setup used that cable plus a small, 8ga wire to ground the entire car....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's the factory ground wire from the battery/main harness. It belongs on the little bracket at the upper starter bolt.

The wire currently on there is not OE. Probably a replacement cable assembly with a pre-attached negative battery terminal. I'd try to find the other end of the B/Y wire near the battery and re-attach both ends. The factory setup used that cable plus a small, 8ga wire to ground the entire car....

Thank you! I appreciate the detailed explanation and suggestions. I'll get it fixed up correctly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts