Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
MY17 Subaru Outback 3.6R
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found this on Jaycar's website.....

FM Wireless Transmitter

Looks like a great device to connect a portable cd/mp3/md player....Now that I've hooked up my FM Modulated CD Stacker. Those cheap portable cd/mp3 players are starting to look good at the moment.

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
Yep looks like a great solution :)

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
250 Posts
I was using something sorta similar to that for my XM satelite radio. It will not give nearly the same sound quality as a hard wired connection or tape deck type FM Modulator, just so you know.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Blue Ridge OBS said:
I was using something sorta similar to that for my XM satelite radio. It will not give nearly the same sound quality as a hard wired connection or tape deck type FM Modulator, just so you know.
Hmmm in that case I wouldn't touch it then, I was kinda expecting the same quality as stereo FM broadcasts... :rolleyes:

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
250 Posts
Jondalar said:

I was kinda expecting the same quality as stereo FM broadcasts... :rolleyes:
Well that you certainly will get. It will sound just as good as perfect reception of an FM station. It will be stereo and you should not have any static or anything unless you are trying to use a frequency that already has a station broadcasting on it. I wouldn't rule it out if that is the only option, but it is going to be a slightly different sound reproduction because of the extra step to broadcast it to the FM channel.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Ahhh OK, I thought from the comment about the cassette deck modulator the sound would be poor since that is my experience with the sound from one of those. Thanks for clearing that up :D

·
Registered
MY17 Subaru Outback 3.6R
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stereo FM Modulator

Here is the latest modulator which connects through the aerial. It even has 2 RCA inputs and an on/off switch.

Stereo FM Modulator

·
Registered
05 safety 5 speed
98 Posts
And I am going to get access to the aerial lead on my 05 OBW exactly where? Or if I go for FM modulator, the unit should be placed where to ensure the rear window aerial pick up is good and strong?
Or is proximity to the head unit enough?
jp 05 OBW 5MT 2.5i

·
Registered
05 safety 5 speed
98 Posts
Just spoke to a tech at Kenwood, and he says the head unit is proprietary to Subaru, amde to their specs, no std connectors on back, forget hard wiring, we will have to live with FM modulators. He just recommends going to one of the reputable installers who will know where/how to get best result.
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm not happy. Only upside is mp3 capable changers are getting more common and cheaper.
jp 05 OBW 5MT 2.5i

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd 5MT Champagne
2,715 Posts
You have to make an adapter to splice into the antenna connector on the back of the radio. It is not as difficult as it sounds. A modulator will give you far better quality then a transmitter. It will sound as good as FM sounds and won't have interference problems from FM stations like a transmitter would.

Here is another thread that show's how do to it:
http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2901&highlight=antenna+connector

Just register at LegacyGT, it's free!

·
Registered
05 safety 5 speed
98 Posts
Update - been to an installer , who obliged by pulling the fascia apart and looking at the rear of the all-in-one head unit/acc. In case anybody is interested - unscrew gear knob (5MT) until it comes off lever (stays attached to boot though); lift rear of trim around leverand raise until tangs at front come down out of upper trim (face of head unit) - trim comes out with cigarette lighter & tray - separate connector; top ends of silver side trims come away fairly easliy, and removing the lever trim exposes a screw near the rear ends. Head unit screws are now accessible.
Problem 1 - there is no normal aerial lead as such - two small diameter wires , no sign of normal co-ax.
Problem 2 - he then thinks and says splicing an MP3 changer into head unit via a modulator wont work, as the mp3 device will send title and track info, and head unit wont understand it, wont work. Not 100% sure of this myself.
So looks like I am back to transmitting FM from a changer or ipod. Guys says he can readily change power plug in console cubby to live on accessory instead of ignition so I can power a transmitter unit, and he is chasing a tranny to add to a JVC mp3 changer.
jp 05 OBW 5MT 2.5i

·
Registered
MY17 Subaru Outback 3.6R
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
More and more manufacturers are making it harder to replace / upgrade the stereo (who knows why). Just have a look at the Mazda 3 (my brother in law is going to get one, tried to get him into a Subaru but SP23 just edged out) to see the stereo integrated into the panel.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
chrisx said:
More and more manufacturers are making it harder to replace / upgrade the stereo (who knows why). Just have a look at the Mazda 3 (my brother in law is going to get one, tried to get him into a Subaru but SP23 just edged out) to see the stereo integrated into the panel.

Wow that's even scarier to think about changing than the OB's one. It wouldn't bother me too much IF they put a really decent one in to start with, but I'm afraid I think the one in my OBW is "barely average" - pretty pathetic for a $54K car.

·
Registered
fast
2 Posts
FM transmitter

the fm transmitter that i used was purchashed from Mark at Car Stereo Repairs in Melb. 0428 535 245 for AUS-$110 it has a selection of four frequencies plugs into cig lighter and has a stereo 3.5mm plug for any stereo input Quality Brilliant

·
Registered
MY06 Outback 2.5i Black
5 Posts
I got a Belkin from eBay about 8 months ago and plug it into my iRiver H10 20G. Never had a problem with it. Just have to fiddle with player volume and car volume to get the best quality and noice reduction. I find it works better in my car than any of my friends - I was thinking this might have something to do with the aerial being in the rear window glass. But anyway, yeah - $20 for the transmitter on eBay. There's always some there from eBay shop sellers and a few privates. Think the full name's Belkin Tunecast Transmitter or something like that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts