Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2020 OB Premium, Abyss Blue
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had issues where they have their phone plugged in for AA or CP, inserted the phone into the wireless charging cubby so the blue lights illuminates, and then on a longer drive the phone overheats and pauses charging? This doesn't seem to happen when I insert the phone face-down (the wireless charger then can't detect the phone's coil and the indicator remains white), but this leads to some weirdness with the phone detecting touches on it's screen. At this point I'm half tempted to rip the thing out and replace it w/ stock...

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
527 Posts
Has anyone else had issues where they have their phone plugged in for AA or CP, inserted the phone into the wireless charging cubby so the blue lights illuminates, and then on a longer drive the phone overheats and pauses charging? This doesn't seem to happen when I insert the phone face-down (the wireless charger then can't detect the phone's coil and the indicator remains white), but this leads to some weirdness with the phone detecting touches on it's screen. At this point I'm half tempted to rip the thing out and replace it w/ stock...
Should state details of your phone and if it has a case describe it.

·
Registered
‘20 Outback XT Limited, ‘01 Honda S2000
61 Posts
Are you using an iPhone or Android phone? I think iPhones will turn off wireless charging if its getting sufficient charge from the cable. Never been an issue for me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you using an iPhone or Android phone?
Android, specifically the Note 10+. The phone never indicates it's trying to charge wirelessly, but the charger coils still seem to activate. But yeah, for some reason it didn't occur to me to try an iPhone or other Android phone to see if the behavior follows (lockdown brain, maybe). I'll have to steal the wife's for a few minutes when she gets home.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And just like that, she arrives home. So, the iPhone elicits the same behavior, at least with turning the charger indicator blue. Don't know if it would fare any better on long drives, but I suspect it would also start having heat issues.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
1,334 Posts
I've read complaints of the Outbacks wireless charging station overheating phones before. ( Not sure if it was here though) . That said, if you have the phone plugged in anyway, you don't need the wireless charger. It would be a simple matter to pop the console and disconnect the charger. Maybe another $8 and 5 min invested to take it out completely. That way you can enjoy the extra room you get back in that tray when the charger is pulled. There are several (very recent) threads here on how to do it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've read complaints of the Outbacks wireless charging station overheating phones before. ( Not sure if it was here though) . That said, if you have the phone plugged in anyway, you don't need the wireless charger. It would be a simple matter to pop the console and disconnect the charger. Maybe another $8 and 5 min invested to take it out completely. That way you can enjoy the extra room you get back in that tray when the charger is pulled. There are several (very recent) threads here on how to do it.
Yeah, when searching the forum I actually came across your write-up (nice job BTW). It's bookmarked and I literally just ordered the parts :p

·
Registered
14 Posts
I believe even the manual states that if you have your phone plugged into 1 of the USB jacks for AA or AC, you shouldn’t use the wireless charging mat (if installed)...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe even the manual states that if you have your phone plugged into 1 of the USB jacks for AA or AC, you shouldn’t use the wireless charging mat (if installed)...

Interesting. Do you recall where you saw that? I just searched through the OB's manual and surprisingly couldn't find a mention of the wireless charger to begin with.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Interesting. Do you recall where you saw that? I just searched through the OB's manual and surprisingly couldn't find a mention of the wireless charger to begin with.
Yeah, I cannot find mention of it either. But I did see that, in the case of the iPhone, if it detects it’s plugged into a USB jack it will not wirelessly charge.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I cannot find mention of it either. But I did see that, in the case of the iPhone, if it detects it’s plugged into a USB jack it will not wirelessly charge.

Yeah, I mean it makes sense considering the behavior, just seems kinda silly that they're mutually exclusive. Oh well. It'll be out of there and on eBay in a week or two :)

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
1,334 Posts
Yeah, I mean it makes sense considering the behavior, just seems kinda silly that they're mutually exclusive. Oh well. It'll be out of there and on eBay in a week or two :)
Particularly silly since there is really no other place to put the phone but that slot (unless you do something aftermarket). I think you'll enjoy the extra room /flexability the charger delete provides.
FWIW, I sold mine and flipped the money into auto dimming mirrors. I couldn't be happier with both moves.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts