Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2021 OB touring green
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My phone gets very hot when place in phone charger. So I don’t use it. Anyone else have this problem?
2021 OB touring

·
Registered
Gen6 Outback Turbo
16 Posts
Besides being slower, wireless charging can heat your phone up where it’s being charged. Cases will trap some heat preventing cooling. Add a little sun, wireless CarPlay or AndroidAuto, while using GPS, and the CPU can also warm up, causing the phone to overheat.

If you use a case while charging, trying removing that. If you can limit what your phone does while charging, that can also help. If you’re wirelessly charging and using CP/AA plus GPS, you might be better off just plugging your phone in.

My iPhone is always in a case, I refuse to use wireless charging or wireless CP/AA. Wired, in the case, in the sun (the ProClip in last car sat much higher than the one in Outback), using CarPlay and GPS at same time, my phone has overheated twice in three years. Popping the case off briefly or opening the vent behind the clip cleared it right up.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
53 Posts
I have the same issue. There really needs to be a higher wattage wireless charger with some active cooling in that cubby. Maybe even tap into the HVAC ductwork behind the dash and push some air through there.

·
Registered
2020 Outback 2.5i Premium
548 Posts
That's just what inductive charging does. It gets hot, and charges slowly. Compound wireless charging and using the phone at the same time, it gets really hot.

Adding a case, 1.) insulates the phone and holds in heat. 2.) it misalignment of the coils in the phone and the charger, causing more heat.

Just buy a good cord. Less heat, more amperage, better charging, and you can use the phone at the same time without being too hard on the battery.

·
Registered
83 Posts
That's just what inductive charging does. It gets hot, and charges slowly. Compound wireless charging and using the phone at the same time, it gets really hot.

Adding a case, 1.) insulates the phone and holds in heat. 2.) it misalignment of the coils in the phone and the charger, causing more heat.

Just buy a good cord. Less heat, more amperage, better charging, and you can use the phone at the same time without being too hard on the battery.
The Subaru wireless charger itself gets abnormally hot and there’s no way for heat to escape the cubby. It’s a bad design, and I’d argue that all the Subaru chargers are defective.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My phone gets very hot when place in phone charger. So I don’t use it. Anyone else have this problem?
2021 OB touring
Yes My phone overheats to the point of shut down. The built in USB charger also overheats the phone. It was on the USB for over 30min with no charge only heat?

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Subaru wireless charger itself gets abnormally hot and there’s no way for heat to escape the cubby. It’s a bad design, and I’d argue that all the Subaru chargers are defective.
I agree! My phone gets hot enough to shut down. My belkin charger does not heat the phone. This should be a recall!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Are you using the wireless charger and the USB charger and the USB at the same time?
No the phone does not allow that. The system is messed up. I tried wireless with and without phone case. It is a flaw. USB with OEM apple cable and aftermarket charge only. I can fast charge at home with the USBC in 30 min with not heat at all with phone in the case, so it's not on my end. I think Subaru should refund and remove the charger for the customers that are seeing this or have a recall and fix it.
Do you have one in your car?

·
Registered
548 Posts
No the phone does not allow that. The system is messed up. I tried wireless with and without phone case. It is a flaw. USB with OEM apple cable and aftermarket charge only. I can fast charge at home with the USBC in 30 min with not heat at all with phone in the case, so it's not on my end. I think Subaru should refund and remove the charger for the customers that are seeing this or have a recall and fix it.
Do you have one in your car?
Not in the Subaru (purposely). I have one in a Honda, and it actually works worse. It's way more sensitive to cases. If the case has any kind of glitter, or the finger nub button, or a kick stand, it won't charge. Probably doesn't get as hot, as it sits in the open on the center console, rather than in it like the Subaru. But it still gets hot, with lucky 3% charge an hour.

IMO, inductive charging is "feel good tech" for auto manufacturers to throw at us, to make their cars sound more "evolved"....may be (couldn't think of a better word) than the competition.

I was not impressed with Samsung branded hardware for inductive charging. Even Apple hardware requires perfect aim. At that, still, why should I pay more money for a cough, cough "feature" that doesn't work as well as the tried and true cord.

Strangely, my old relic of a cigarette lighter charger still works better than a fresh lightning or USB-C cord.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not in the Subaru (purposely). I have one in a Honda, and it actually works worse. It's way more sensitive to cases. If the case has any kind of glitter, or the finger nub button, or a kick stand, it won't charge. Probably doesn't get as hot, as it sits in the open on the center console, rather than in it like the Subaru. But it still gets hot, with lucky 3% charge an hour.

IMO, inductive charging is "feel good tech" for auto manufacturers to throw at us, to make their cars sound more "evolved"....may be (couldn't think of a better word) than the competition.

I was not impressed with Samsung branded hardware for inductive charging. Even Apple hardware requires perfect aim. At that, still, why should I pay more money for a cough, cough "feature" that doesn't work as well as the tried and true cord.

Strangely, my old relic of a cigarette lighter charger still works better than a fresh lightning or USB-C cord.
I think mine is more of an issue than meets the eye. The built in USB also causes the phone to overheat even though it tests at 4.8Vdc. Tries with both iphone 12 and 13 with both heating up on USB. So if I try to use CarPlay the phone overheats, so If I want a map where it can been seen I need a suction cup phone mount in the middle of the display and a cable hanging out the center console on a 40K 2022 car.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
17,733 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
It seems both the iPhone 12 and iPhone 13 commonly overheat, including when using CarPlay - there may be some tips on how to resolve:

If you suspect that the USB outlet is the culprit, you can try a third party charger in a 12v socket in the armrest or glove compartment.
It needs to go to the dealer, must be an issue with current output from the transformer. Unfortunately the dealer is 40 miles away. Was waiting until the backordered trailer hitch to arrive and do it in one trip.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Some of it is Apple. Some of it is the voltage and amperage out of the car. I do corporate solutions Mobile Device Management. If you have any Apple questions, DM me. i12 and i13 have low resistance batteries and the adaptive charging. You can charge them with a generic charger. You will have heat. If you charge with an Apple charger, the charger and the phone are smart enough to work together and incrementally charge the phone battery, not getting it hot, and also maximizing it's battery life.

The (below i11) chargers only put out 0.5 amps at 5 volts (this was the apple "5W" charger) Starting with the i11 chargers put out 1.0 amps at 5 volts. The Subaru USBs are putting out 2.1 amps, you are over doubling your amperage (which will cause some heat). Also the Subaru USBs are just dumb USBs. They just barf voltage and amperage at what ever you plug in, regardless of the internal resistance of the battery. Li-Ion batteries are low resistance and don't play the best with any charging system that isn't specifically designed for them.

To maximize your Apple in a Subaru, there is a few things to do...
*Don't use inductive charging. Even Apple has released statements with i12 and above that Apple inductive chargers will have heat issues. Granted, this is Apple's inductive charger, with Apple's smart charger. Aftermarket inductive (Subaru) are not recommended.
*Don't rely on the Subaru for all your charging needs. Use an Apple smart charger. They work together to keep your battery from dieing, or cutting off charging above 80%.
*Avoid plugging in an iPhone with less than 50% charge. I've see a few parents on the boards complain that the kids will blow the circuit breaker on the rear Subaru USB ports with iPads. Same thing, don't plug a half dead device into the USB.
*If you can, avoid using the phone while it is charging in the car. I see you had stated that you want to use CarPlay and the GPS. It would be easier on the the battery if you switched over to Bluetooth and used the in-car screen, rather than leaving the screen on the entire time on the phone. Charging while using excessive apps with screen on will heat up the phone.
*Heat is heat. Keep it out of the sun and out of your pocket.

Without intent to sound snarky, the $40K car was made to go from point-A to point-B. The $10 Apple branded charger was made to optimize the battery life of the iPhone.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Some of it is Apple. Some of it is the voltage and amperage out of the car. I do corporate solutions Mobile Device Management. If you have any Apple questions, DM me. i12 and i13 have low resistance batteries and the adaptive charging. You can charge them with a generic charger. You will have heat. If you charge with an Apple charger, the charger and the phone are smart enough to work together and incrementally charge the phone battery, not getting it hot, and also maximizing it's battery life.

The (below i11) chargers only put out 0.5 amps at 5 volts (this was the apple "5W" charger) Starting with the i11 chargers put out 1.0 amps at 5 volts. The Subaru USBs are putting out 2.1 amps, you are over doubling your amperage (which will cause some heat). Also the Subaru USBs are just dumb USBs. They just barf voltage and amperage at what ever you plug in, regardless of the internal resistance of the battery. Li-Ion batteries are low resistance and don't play the best with any charging system that isn't specifically designed for them.

To maximize your Apple in a Subaru, there is a few things to do...
*Don't use inductive charging. Even Apple has released statements with i12 and above that Apple inductive chargers will have heat issues. Granted, this is Apple's inductive charger, with Apple's smart charger. Aftermarket inductive (Subaru) are not recommended.
*Don't rely on the Subaru for all your charging needs. Use an Apple smart charger. They work together to keep your battery from dieing, or cutting off charging above 80%.
*Avoid plugging in an iPhone with less than 50% charge. I've see a few parents on the boards complain that the kids will blow the circuit breaker on the rear Subaru USB ports with iPads. Same thing, don't plug a half dead device into the USB.
*If you can, avoid using the phone while it is charging in the car. I see you had stated that you want to use CarPlay and the GPS. It would be easier on the the battery if you switched over to Bluetooth and used the in-car screen, rather than leaving the screen on the entire time on the phone. Charging while using excessive apps with screen on will heat up the phone.
*Heat is heat. Keep it out of the sun and out of your pocket.

Without intent to sound snarky, the $40K car was made to go from point-A to point-B. The $10 Apple branded charger was made to optimize the battery life of the iPhone.
Thanks for the info, So Basically the Subaru should not be sell these chargers as they are inappropriate for newer phones and Carplay doesn't work because the phone needs to plugged into the built in USB port that is also not good for the phone. Bluetooth does not show the phones maps and I do not have built in GPS on the car? It's like I went backwards. So Ideally I need a custom cable that goes from an official iPhone car charger for the charging and a splitter that goes to the USB port to get the data to the car. Do you know does that exist?
Thanks again

·
Registered
2021 OB touring green
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got the charger out and now have the storage space. Thanks for the write ups on here, it was a easy quick job. The dealership said they didn’t have any answers for me. So now the charger is laying on my workbench.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Thanks for the info, So Basically the Subaru should not be sell these chargers as they are inappropriate for newer phones and Carplay doesn't work because the phone needs to plugged into the built in USB port that is also not good for the phone. Bluetooth does not show the phones maps and I do not have built in GPS on the car? It's like I went backwards. So Ideally I need a custom cable that goes from an official iPhone car charger for the charging and a splitter that goes to the USB port to get the data to the car. Do you know does that exist?
Thanks again
Yes, splitters exist lightning to dual lighting, and lighting to duel USB-B. However, I'd be concerned with power loop issues. You would be getting voltage from the Subaru USB and power from a separate charger. I don't know what that will do to the phone battery, the car, and the separate charger. It's looking like you cant do just a data-only cable as many devices need to see voltage in order to recognize that a device is plugged in.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium; former 19 Outback Premium, 85 GL Wagon, 87 GL-10 Wagon
3,280 Posts
No issues with our iPhone 11 and SE2 overheating when plugged in using CarPlay, and the observed rate of charge is slower than when plugged in to an Apple charger. Did we just luck out?

It will be interesting to hear user reports from the 23 using wireless CarPlay as it defeats the purpose if it makes the phone overheat.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts