Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited 2.5 with E/S, Lapis Blue
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I think my question is quite simple. I have researched the forum but somehow cannot find the exact information I'm looking at. Here it is.

Context:
  • I got a small pop up equipped with electric brakes.
  • The pop up has a 7-pin connector
  • For bringing the pop up back home, I got a 4-pin-to-7-pin adapter, using the 4-pin connector that I found hidden in the back of my 2015 OB.
Plan:
  • For various reasons, I will be getting a wireless brake controller, the Curt Echo.
  • From what I understand, the only thing I still need is a wire going from the battery to the corresponding pin in the 7-way adapter, in order to get the juice needed for the trailer brakes. And a 30amp 12v circuit breaker. No other wires are needed. https://www.etrailer.com/question-341375.html
Question: Is there somewhere a nice write-up for bringing a wire from the car battery to the cargo area through the INSIDE of a 5th gen OB (I do not want to run it outside for various reasons)? In particular, what is the best way for going from the engine compartment to the cabin?

Thanks a ton!

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 2.5i Premium
74 Posts
Basically, run the wire from the back under the door sills along the passenger side, behind the glove box, and into the footwell on the driver side, There should be rubber grommet there on the firewall through which you can run a wire into the engine bay (cut a small hole in the grommet then seal behind it once you have run your wire). Check out these threads:

Trailer brake controllers, Outback 2015

Trailer Brake Controller Install

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,383 Posts
You'll need to connect the ground wire from the 7-pin to the car frame. It normally won't go through the 4-pin. It looks like it does but it doesn't. The ground wire for the 4-flat is a smaller gauge than what's returned through the 7-pin. Since the 4-flat ground can't handle the same amount of current the normal 7-pin wires can, that larger gauge wire needs to be screwed to the frame to return the current that's drawn through that new 12V wire you are adding.

Also, you'll probably need the 4-flat controller. This plugs into that hidden wiring harness connector and handles the brake and turn signal lights. Once you install that, then you connect the 4-to-7 adapter and then you connect the ground. I haven't seen a 4-7 that would work directly into the wiring harness -- doesn't mean they aren't out there, it just means I haven't seen one.

So I think you'll need this to get the 4-flat signals out of the car:

Then something like this to get the 4 to 7 conversion:

You can see the difference in wire gauge on the ground (white) wire.

Edit: After re-reading the first post, I think the OP already has the 4-flat controller. So the 4 to 7 is all that's needed, but the ground wire will still need to be connected.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Basically, run the wire from the back under the door sills along the passenger side, behind the glove box, and into the footwell on the driver side, There should be rubber grommet there on the firewall through which you can run a wire into the engine bay (cut a small hole in the grommet then seal behind it once you have run your wire). Check out these threads:

Trailer brake controllers, Outback 2015

Trailer Brake Controller Install
Thanks a lot, this is super helpful.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You'll need to connect the ground wire from the 7-pin to the car frame. It normally won't go through the 4-pin. It looks like it does but it doesn't. The ground wire for the 4-flat is a smaller gauge than what's returned through the 7-pin. Since the 4-flat ground can't handle the same amount of current the normal 7-pin wires can, that larger gauge wire needs to be screwed to the frame to return the current that's drawn through that new 12V wire you are adding.

Edit: After re-reading the first post, I think the OP already has the 4-flat controller. So the 4 to 7 is all that's needed, but the ground wire will still need to be connected.
Great, thanks! I indeed already have the 4-flat controller.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hello all,

I think my question is quite simple. I have researched the forum but somehow cannot find the exact information I'm looking at. Here it is.

Context:
  • I got a small pop up equipped with electric brakes.
  • The pop up has a 7-pin connector
  • For bringing the pop up back home, I got a 4-pin-to-7-pin adapter, using the 4-pin connector that I found hidden in the back of my 2015 OB.
Plan:
  • For various reasons, I will be getting a wireless brake controller, the Curt Echo.
  • From what I understand, the only thing I still need is a wire going from the battery to the corresponding pin in the 7-way adapter, in order to get the juice needed for the trailer brakes. And a 30amp 12v circuit breaker. No other wires are needed. https://www.etrailer.com/question-341375.html
Question: Is there somewhere a nice write-up for bringing a wire from the car battery to the cargo area through the INSIDE of a 5th gen OB (I do not want to run it outside for various reasons)? In particular, what is the best way for going from the engine compartment to the cabin?

Thanks a ton!
I find it interesting that the outback manual is quite clear that a trailer over 1,000 pounds has to have brakes And then makes no provision in the car or even through dealer services to equip the car to support that.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,679 Posts
I find it interesting that the outback manual is quite clear that a trailer over 1,000 pounds has to have brakes And then makes no provision in the car or even through dealer services to equip the car to support that.
Google "wireless brake controller".

·
Registered
70 Posts
Oh I understand what’s involved, at least I believe I do. A wireless controller still requires a 7-wire plug that is not supported by Subaru. Subaru could have easily incorporated the necessary wiring since they already provide that for the 4-wire. What I’ve heard and read here is that Subaru dealers also won’t installed those plugs. I’m just surprised that they don’t support what is required after so emphatically statiing the need for brakes on heavier trailers.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Google "wireless brake controller".
And by the way, wireless means it doesn’t require the brake wire but the brakes still require a dedicated heavy gauge hot wire from the battery. And that gets connected to the trailer via the 7-wire connector. My wireless controller is in the trailer. The power runs through it.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,679 Posts
And by the way, wireless means it doesn’t require the brake wire but the brakes still require a dedicated heavy gauge hot wire from the battery. And that gets connected to the trailer via the 7-wire connector. My wireless controller is in the trailer. The power runs through it.
True, and there are some trailer brake systems that have an internal 12V battery system.

·
Registered
70 Posts
True, and there are some trailer brake systems that have an internal 12V battery system.
That’s interesting. My trailer will have (ordered) battery to run lights etc. I was told I needed the hot wire both to run the brakes and to trickle charge the battery when the car is running. I didn’t think about whether without the charging, the battery could run the brakes. Moot point as I’d like to keep the battery topped up, but an interesting take on the electric brakes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts