Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
09 Black on Black LImited
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we traded in our 05 Fozzie with 220k that needed headgaskets pretty bad. The car leaked about a qt of oil every 1500 miles and it was time for a timing belt also. I decided instead of spending the time and money we'd get my wife a newer car.

Enter our new 09 black on black Outback Limited. Only 62k miles. The head gaskets and timing belt were just done (also for oil leaks) so it's one less thing I have to worry about for a couple years. We picked this p on 7-6-16.

The car looks as if it's had all four doors painted but the rest of the car looks immaculate. very clean in and out, paint is in pretty good shape for being black and almost 8 years old.

Now here comes the problem, on 7-7-16 it rained, quite a bit and when my wife got home I popped the hatch and low and behold there is some water in the hatch (second car to do this, the Fozzie did it too, but for a different reason.)

So I started hunting it down and noticed the water coming from the right rear pillar right above what I presume to be the subwoofer from the stereo and dripping from there, followed that pillar up and saw the wiring harness that goes from the car to the hatch. Someone has cut the rubber sleeve off of the harness and repaired broken wires. No big deal, the hatch goes up and down and sometimes wires will break, but they did nothing to fill the holes back in.

So I need to find one of those rubber grommet elbow thingies and hopefully someone can tell me the easiest way to replace, whether it be from pulling apart the hatch to undo the wiring and slide the rubber sleeve over, or if pulling apart the interior of the car to get at a connector to slide the grommet over.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think I may have found the correct part I need, looks like the rubber grommet comes with the whole harness for 88.80 list. Part # 81812AG03C.

Can anyone confirm this? The pictures that I have are terrible.

·
Registered
17,448 Posts
Yes, the flexible boot/grommet is part of the rear gate (hatch) wiring harness. It's installed during manufacture of the harness because there are connectors at both ends that wouldn't otherwise fit through it. I don't think you will find the boot available separately, and even if you could (e.g., from a wreck), getting it on would require either removing the connectors, or cutting the wires, passing them through, and then reconnecting them.

The broken wire issue isn't uncommon. There's a fair number of threads on the subject here. Here's one with additional links: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/41443-replace-05-outback-hatch-wiring-harness.html#post3499705

And yes, that seems to be the correct door wiring harness part: http://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru_2009_Outback25L-4AT/_52016_6023057/CORD-REAR/B13-815-02.html

Let us know what you find, and do . . .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the update, I didn't think this would have been that common of a problem.

I'm going to order this part up from the dealer. (cheaper than online because of no freight)

Then next week I'll get around to replacing it.

Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m having a similar issue. I have a 2005 outback. The rubber gromet doesn’t seem damaged, however, water seems to be leaking in on the body side of this grommet and dripping into the back storage. Do you know if I can fix this deal without replacing all of the cables and gromet? Would caulk work to seal it up?
Thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Last summer my hatch door would not lock. I found broken wires so I just swapped out the whole harness. Took the better part of an afternoon. Plenty of YouTube vids on how to do it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts