Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a set of battery impacts recently to replace my aging harbor freight impact. The harbor freight has served me well but after 7 years it's time to move on.

After some research I decided it was pretty much go air, battery dewalt, or battery milwaukee.

I ended up going with Milwaukee because I honestly don't have the room in the garage for an air tank and the M18 had a slight edge on batteries.

So, quick reviews for what I got so far:

Weed eater is lovely. I recently started helping with my neighbors yard and my 20V Black and Decker Edger/Trimmer wasn't enough. Not only is this thing more powerful than most 2 stroke models I've used I can now trim both mine and my neighbors house in half the time and it doesn't even use half of a battery.

Leaf blower is fun. I got it for free with the weed eater. Don't know if I would have bought it on it's own. But been cleaning the garage with it though. :laugh:

3/8" Impact is my new daily driver for most tasks. Plenty of power to take lug nuts and brake calipers off. Very compact and light for 200~ ft lbs of torque.

I also got the 1/2" high torque impact gun. This one. Supposedly 1100 Ft Lbs but who knows really. I have no way of verifying.

This thing is a monster. I took it to a friends house to help him remove the axle on a rusted out 96 Dodge parts truck.

(NSFW language)

It removed every bolt with ease except for one.

It was a 1/2" bolt that was rusted/seized in the suspension arm and it simply sheared the bolt in half.

I tried it at it's lowest setting while fixing little reds exhaust and it sheared the 3/8" U Bolt on the exhaust clamp.

Curious at it's failure point now I decided to see if it could strip a grade 8 bolt so I got the largest grade 8 bolt I had. Was 2" by 5/8" bolt and nut.

I clamped the nut in the vice and ran the bolt down and this happened...

It took it about two seconds to look like this.

>:)

Luckily I had a spare vice (I have lots of vices.)

I guess the moral of the story is WOW this thing is bonkers. I love it.

With great power comes great responsibility. Don't put the 1/2" model on anything you aren't OK replacing.

It will remove it but it's kind of the Robocop of my tools right now.

"Dead or alive you're coming with me."

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 WRX, 2017 BRZ, 2017 Legacy
366 Posts
I have that M18 Impact too. Purchased it when my buddy's 20 gal compressor+impact couldn't take off MC sprockets or the Prelude crankshaft nut. The M18 took them off within two seconds.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,212 Posts
Milwaukee make a push mower for those batteries?

(not that I don't like my 1997 high wheel self propelled gas job,....that still runs on a quart of gas for like 45 minutes.),

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts

(not that I don't like my 1997 high wheel self propelled gas job,....that still runs on a quart of gas for like 45 minutes.),
AFAIK no. It's really hard to find a single battery to cover a household's worth of tools. I bought into the greenworks suite. The stuff isn't well made, but they are all based on 18650 batteries, which are very well made nowadays. None of the other toolmakers had the same particular gadgets we wanted: Mower, cultivator, snowshovel & leaf vac.

On the other hand my Harbor Freight twist pistols are getting tired, and this looks like a heck of an upgrade.

·
Registered
2013 BRZ 2005 OBXT
231 Posts
I run Milwaukee at work and makita at home. Both are great at what they do. The Milwaukee m18 deff has great torque for something so compact.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately no. They do make a weed eater, leaf blower, hedge trimmer, and a new chainsaw.

I'm still using my black and decker corded mower I bought in 2008. Works great even if I do look like I'm vacuuming the lawn.

I've never done any maintenance to it that entire time and have only sharpened the blade once.

I stopped using gas yard tools way back then because it was 4.50 a gallon and I always hated the smell of two stroke anyway.

Never looked back.

A friend has the eGo brand battery mower. She's said it works well for her but I haven't used it personally. I know the batteries are huge so I expect it to work.

I know they're supposed to be top dog for yard tools but I'm trying to consolidate batteries. They even make a battery tiller iirc.

Currently have the M18, Bostich, Porter Cable 18V NiCd, 18V Lithium, Makita, Black and Decker 20v, and a different black and decker I think 12v.

Consolidating batteries really appealed to me hence going with the M18.

I can weed eat, leaf blow, install drywall, and take an axle nut off a Subaru with the same battery. Fun times.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited; Green/Ivory; Eyesight; Navigation
84 Posts
We have a couple of new Dewalt 20V 1/2inch impacts on our service trucks at work.

I am amazed by their power with such a light weight. They provide more than enough power to break rusted 3/4 bolts that have been in place for decades.

They hold a charge for quite a while using those Lithium-ion batteries.

I work in electric power substations and am hardly ever working on the ground. The relatively light weight is a very welcome feature.

Cordless tools sure have come a long way.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The m18 brushless angle grinder is worth the buy as well.
I'm leaning towards their sawzall next and phasing out my Porter Cable batteries.

The sawzall pulls triple duty for me. I trim tree branches with it, cut bolts on cars (recently had to for a tribeca suspension arm), and do light house modifications.

It probably sees the most use other than the drill/drivers/impact.

We have a couple of new Dewalt 20V 1/2inch impacts on our service trucks at work.
If it's anything like this one I'm sure it's great. I hate being a color cheerleader because really I don't have anything against any of the manufacturers.

Hate having to have several different chargers/batteries.

I wish I could swap batteries between manufacturers because I know inside they're all the same cells anyway. Mostly.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
I use Craftsman C3 cordless tools. That 1/2" impact is pretty good. Something like 300 foot pounds of torque.

My son uses the Milwaukee. That 1100 pound 1/2" has ridiculous power.

When my Craftsman fail they will be replaced with the Milwaukee equipment.

You need them all, sawzall, angle grinder, circular saw and I believe they just came out with a tire inflator.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Consolidating batteries really appealed to me hence going with the M18.

I can weed eat, leaf blow, install drywall, and take an axle nut off a Subaru with the same battery. Fun times.
Ha yeah I wound up with a charger farm. 2x Greenworks 40v, DeWalt 40v & 8v, Harbor Freight 18v & 12v... and those are just the ones popular enough to merit wall mounting, the rest come out of the drawer when needed.

When I was a kid I learned to mow the lawn with my dad's old black & decker electric. That thing had the slickest feature- rather than turning it around at the end of a row, you'd pop a release and flip the push-handle 90° over to the opposite side for the return row. It made cord management almost effortless. I don't know if they still make them like that, haven't seen one in ages.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited; Green/Ivory; Eyesight; Navigation
84 Posts
I also got the 1/2" high torque impact gun. This one. Supposedly 1100 Ft Lbs but who knows really. I have no way of verifying.

This thing is a monster. I took it to a friends house to help him remove the axle on a rusted out 96 Dodge parts truck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nenraSrpPrc (NSFW language)

It removed every bolt with ease except for one.

It was a 1/2" bolt that was rusted/seized in the suspension arm and it simply sheared the bolt in half.

I tried it at it's lowest setting while fixing little reds exhaust and it sheared the 3/8" U Bolt on the exhaust clamp.

Curious at it's failure point now I decided to see if it could strip a grade 8 bolt so I got the largest grade 8 bolt I had. Was 2" by 5/8" bolt and nut.

I clamped the nut in the vice and ran the bolt down and this happened...

It took it about two seconds to look like this.

>:)

Luckily I had a spare vice (I have lots of vices.)

I guess the moral of the story is WOW this thing is bonkers. I love it.

With great power comes great responsibility. Don't put the 1/2" model on anything you aren't OK replacing.

Over the last couple of week, I worked with some linemen from a generation and transmission (G&T) Cooperative that had those new Milwaukee 1/2in drivers. They are amazingly powerful. One of the guys says that it will pull a 1/2in bolt right through a utility pole....and those transmission guys work on some pretty darn big poles.

I agree with Brucey, be careful about where you use that driver.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts
I would agree the 18V brush-less Milwaukee stuff is brutal. I am wimpy these days and I really like the M12 stuff. Super lightweight, and very small.
@Brucey ... here is some great responsibility you can use your great power on.

They should arrive any day now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts