Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'01 Outback H6 LL Bean - 170,000 miles
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was inspecting the set-up today on our '01 OBW H6 and spraying some PBB to prep for the weekend job, and I noticed that the ball joint pinch bolts are different on the two sides.

One side has a bolt that fits 14 mm socket, and it isn't long enough to poke out the other side. The other side has a bolt that fits 17 mm socket, and it sticks out the other side. Neither bolt has a nut on the other side.

I will probably go down to ACE Hardware to try and find equivalent bolts made out of stainless steel, or at least the same bolts for both sides.

Does anyone know the proper size and is there supposed to be a nut on the other end for security?

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,394 Posts
The other side on the knuckle is threaded so no nut is needed. The proper size is 14mm.

Its possible that they did a repair job and that the new bolt is a different threading or that they needed to replace the bolt for some reason. Usually though a new ball joint comes with a new build if you buy aftermarket. You should replace it as well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The other side on the knuckle is threaded so no nut is needed. The proper size is 14mm.

Its possible that they did a repair job and that the new bolt is a different threading or that they needed to replace the bolt for some reason. Usually though a new ball joint comes with a new build if you buy aftermarket. You should replace it as well.
Thank you for a quick reply.

I'm not sure if I will be able to find a "flanged" japanese-style 14mm in a hardware store, so I may have to settle for a standard 17mm non-flanged bolt that should be more commonly available. In either case, this looks to be an M10 bolt, just depends which format the bolt head comes in.

The ball joint didn't come with any hardware.

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,394 Posts
Where did you buy the ball joint fronm? Make sure to use a lock washer and a grade 8 bolt if possible. Also apply anti seize to the ball joint to make it easier to remove the next time.

Here are some pics of one I had a hard time getting out due to a seized pinch bolt.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where did you buy the ball joint fronm? Make sure to use a lock washer and a grade 8 bolt if possible. Also apply anti seize to the ball joint to make it easier to remove the next time.

Here are some pics of one I had a hard time getting out due to a seized pinch bolt.
It's a genuine Subaru balljoint, which I got from Fred Beans of Doylestown PA.

I bet you can't do a whole lot worse than those rusty old Subaru bolts when buying a replacement from a place like ACE Hardware.

I had to get an alignment nut (for tie rod) from Ace too because mine are seized on. Should I put antiseize on that nut for the future, too? What about the castle nuts?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The orig are probably grade 8- at least.
Yep, that's what the parts guy at the dealer told me. He said, if you're substituting a nut/bolt from a hardware store, make sure it's at least grade 8.

The ones I got from ACE are 8.8, which are structural grade and are safe to use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts