Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using a USB drive is there any advantage to using one format over another? I did rip some albums using, Windows media player which was a PITA to figure out, and did some albums in each format.The sound is great, and all the folders show up just fine. Just wondering if one format is "better" than the other.

I have a 2012 3.6 Limited, no NAV, and am also wondering if an 8gb USB is the largest that will be recognized? The owners manual doesn't list a size max. It also says a high speed USB 2 will not work, but that's what I am using at the minute.

Being an old timer, I have in the past just poped in CD's as needed, but having the ability to use a USB drive with many albums on it has me trying new ground. And I like it!! Go oldies but goodies.:29:

Toss in any other advice you might have.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6 Touring, which replaced '05 Outback XT
913 Posts
WMA has an edge at really low bit rates. MP3 gets good at 128 kbps for most listeners. The quality goes up as the bit rate goes up. Unless saving space is important, I would select 256 kbps. Variable bit rate (VBR) improves over constant bit rate (CBR). Always use 44.1 kHz for the sampling rate.

The quality of the encoding software is a factor also. Since I have access to professional tools at work, I haven't surveyed what is better for consumer use.

·
Registered
2009 2.5i, H4, Auto.
838 Posts
Personally, I use a mid-line quality MP3 rip. WMA can have built in copy protection, depending on what program does the ripping. That can be a pain to deal with if you go to transfer music from one computer to another, or recovering from a computer crash. I have never had an issue moving around mp3's.

I bought and paid for my music (CD's, Amazon, or iTunes, etc.) I hate having to jump though hoops on music I have legal copies of.

I use a 128 kbps bit rate and 44.1Khz sampling rate. I can't hear any quality difference with higher bit rates. It's a good compromise between audio quality and file size.

·
Registered
03 Outback H6 base
252 Posts
I personally like Mp3; nothing beats 100's of songs on one cd. Of course you need a player that reads Mp3's....:29:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts