Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new here.

I'm restoring an old 1997 Subaru Impreza with my brother's help. We know this car was previously registered in Florida and it looks like it's been through a hurricane, just sand and muck everywhere. haha. Anyhow, we're cleaning it up bit by bit, replaced a lot of components in the engine, battery and terminals, power steering pump, water pump and timing belt, harmonic balancer and those belts, oil change, transmission flush, new brakes and tires, etc, it runs pretty well now except for one big problem:

When I hit a bump while driving, potholes and such, the rear end shakes and wobbles bad. It feels like a wheel is about to pop off. It doesn't shake when driving at all, even at high speeds, just when I hit a bump. We don't have the capacity to jack it up and see what's going on really, so I have to take it to a mechanic, just wondering before I go if anyone has dealt with this issue. Is it shocks? Alignment?

Appreciate any wisdom or advice here. Thanks people!

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Without being able to physically look under it yourself, diagnosis is nearly impossible.

There are a TON of suspension components in the rear that can be worn out by now. Any combination of them will cause handling issues.

Bushings, sway bar, mounts, shocks, etc...all are suspect.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts