Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Outback LL Bean H6 3.0 Silver 175K
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, sorry for asking a bunch of questions and then never coming back, but I've been dealing with some major issues lately. I took my car in to my mechanic to get the head gasket and front axles replaced, and low and behold I have a lemon engine. The heads needed working over and most of all every valve had leakdown of minimum 20%, max over 40%. It's almost like I was running a two stroke engine. the whole bill was going to be over 7k, and with the top end being that damaged I didn't want to imagine the bottom end and the issues it might give me in the future. For a car that was dealer owned until it was sold at auction, I expected better. Anyways, I think I'll have to part it out.

The only way I'll be able to save this car is if I can get a new H6 engine that I can trust, and that's hard to find. So, does anyone here have one for me, or at least know where a trusted one can be found? If not, you'll be finding all my nice LL Bean parts in the for sale section soon and on craigslist.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
strange, this double posted after I tried to fix a mistake. Can a moderator delete the previous post?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,200 Posts
strange, this double posted after I tried to fix a mistake. Can a moderator delete the previous post?
2nd time that happened in the past 2 hours.

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback Man. w/All Weather Pkg ( H4 4EAT)
74 Posts
Hey, sorry for asking a bunch of questions and then never coming back, but I've been dealing with some major issues lately. I took my car in to my mechanic to get the head gasket and front axles replaced, and low and behold I have a lemon engine. The heads needed working over and most of all every valve had leakdown of minimum 20%, max over 40%. It's almost like I was running a two stroke engine. the whole bill was going to be over 7k, and with the top end being that damaged I didn't want to imagine the bottom end and the issues it might give me in the future. For a car that was dealer owned until it was sold at auction, I expected better. Anyways, I think I'll have to part it out.

The only way I'll be able to save this car is if I can get a new H6 engine that I can trust, and that's hard to find. So, does anyone here have one for me, or at least know where a trusted one can be found? If not, you'll be finding all my nice LL Bean parts in the for sale section soon and on craigslist.
Yikes, that mechanic is racking up a pretty high bill. Unless you have the required tools to do a swap I would suggest buying some junkyard engine and dropping one in. Its unfortunate that people have problems with ob's but I guess that dealership couldn't care less. Or I would consider buying another gen 2 because OB's should be no more than 5k so that mechanic is really pushing numbers for that price. Good luck

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,200 Posts
with this engine the only economical way out is to buy a JDM used EZ30D. $600-$700 at some importers.

(doing the head gasket job on one of these is longer harder and more expensive than a simpler EJ251 of the same year).

these JDMs come with 60,000 miles. and just needs some simple extra piping for the brake booster.

the one you want is the 212hp 210torque one with the metal intake,
not the later 250hp 219torque one with the plastic intake for the later cars.

JDM importers that people have used here for that EZ30D engine, are in the port of long beach, and phoenix.
they ship but closer maybe cheaper, getting one from phoenix "may" save the local sales tax.

such may exist right in SD,

here is one:
https://offerup.com/item/detail/422888243/

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
with this engine the only economical way out is to buy a JDM used EZ30D. $600-$700 at some importers.

(doing the head gasket job on one of these is longer harder and more expensive than a simpler EJ251 of the same year).

these JDMs come with 60,000 miles. and just needs some simple extra piping for the brake booster.

the one you want is the 212hp 210torque one with the metal intake,
not the later 250hp 219torque one with the plastic intake for the later cars.

JDM importers that people have used here for that EZ30D engine, are in the port of long beach, and phoenix.
they ship but closer maybe cheaper, getting one from phoenix "may" save the local sales tax.

such may exist right in SD,

here is one:
https://offerup.com/item/detail/422888243/
Wow, that's... that's perfect! I had found other JDM engines, but none that looked so trustworthy. I'll give this guy a call and let my friend know that I'll need to borrow their engine hoist. I'll pick this up before I head home for spring break. You've been a giant help eagleeye. Can I send you a pumpkin pie as a symbol of my gratitude? no joke, I'd love to find some way to repay you for your help.

In the mean time, do you guys want to rate my current mid engine setup?

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,200 Posts
don't forget to do valve cover gaskets and new NGK double plat plugs on a EZ30D JDM while its out, and easy to do.

(the original factory rubber valve covers are probably right on it, with the original plugs if it only has 60,000 miles on it).

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
^^^^^ this is about 37000% easier with the engine out of the car, so +1.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
don't forget to do valve cover gaskets and new NGK double plat plugs on a EZ30D JDM while its out, and easy to do.

(the original factory rubber valve covers are probably right on it, with the original plugs if it only has 60,000 miles on it).
Thank you, I was actually just coming back to ask this question!

I'll probably need new exhaust gaskets as well. Also what about hoses? the original hoses and such in the chassis are about 189k miles old. Which hoses and other bits would you replace given the chance? Also are there any specifics on the brake booster line?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,200 Posts
Thank you, I was actually just coming back to ask this question!

I'll probably need new exhaust gaskets as well. Also what about hoses? the original hoses and such in the chassis are about 189k miles old. Which hoses and other bits would you replace given the chance? Also are there any specifics on the brake booster line?

@Glennda5id is in the process of such a JDM swap on a new to him VDC car (maybe done/maybe not).
lives in greater LA (similar climate to you).
and is gifted / talented at all things EZ30D.

so maybe able to give you a basic shopping list.

FSM has specs / diagrams on where to put the RTV goop for valve covers.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I seem to have hit an interesting snag. On the intake manifold of the new engine there is a hose which was blocked off on the old engine. Also my fuel lines are twisted and pointing straight up which isn't supposed to be the case. here's a picture.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,200 Posts
JDM brake booster is in front of their right hand driver. so a new line has to be run to make it match the left hand drive car.

don't forget a new OEM thermostat, OEM Rad Cap and OEM PCV, for your project.

so you are starting fresh with all good stuff, and know that such little things can't ruin your day or your "new" engine.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
JDM brake booster is in front of their right hand driver. so a new line has to be run to make it match the left hand drive car.

don't forget a new OEM thermostat, OEM Rad Cap and OEM PCV, for your project.

so you are starting fresh with all good stuff, and know that such little things can't ruin your day or your "new" engine.
I'll see if I can find Brake booster lines at autozone. I also need to leave town tmorrow afternoon, so lets see how well everything goes and if I can find OEM parts. I also needed a driver side axle, and I could only find that oem rebuilt.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,200 Posts
I'll see if I can find Brake booster lines at autozone. I also need to leave town tmorrow afternoon, so lets see how well everything goes and if I can find OEM parts. I also needed a driver side axle, and I could only find that oem rebuilt.
OEM rebuilt is great.

even better taking your own great green cap OEM and rebuilding it with subaru OEM boots. or paying someone to do it on a green cap OEM.

aftermarkets just are not made with the same great steel.

_______

hope you are doing NGK double plats and the rubber gaskets by them while the engine is out.

valve covers and spark plug Orings are rubber. (OEM good, aftermarket like Beck ...good too).

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback VDC
38 Posts
I am trying to do a JDM swap at the moment as well...I actually have two JDM engines...and a JDM transmission right now. One of the engines turned out to have a cracked block by the oil cooler...the second one had broken fuel lines...I swapped from one car to the other - it fairly simple to take off the intake to swap the fuel lines.

Now I am dealing with a cracked timing cover...front and rear. Pulled the good one off the first motor...pulled the front timing cover off the 2nd motor only to discover a cracked cam sprocket - I have the ones from the first motor...but I am thinking of throwing in the towel on this car and project....

I hope yours goes smoother then mine...take time while the motor is out to make sure you don't have any damage that you can see - I thought I would be installing a new motor this weekend, but found these issues getting ready to install.

I seem to have hit an interesting snag. On the intake manifold of the new engine there is a hose which was blocked off on the old engine. Also my fuel lines are twisted and pointing straight up which isn't supposed to be the case. here's a picture.
]

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am trying to do a JDM swap at the moment as well...I actually have two JDM engines...and a JDM transmission right now. One of the engines turned out to have a cracked block by the oil cooler...the second one had broken fuel lines...I swapped from one car to the other - it fairly simple to take off the intake to swap the fuel lines.

Now I am dealing with a cracked timing cover...front and rear. Pulled the good one off the first motor...pulled the front timing cover off the 2nd motor only to discover a cracked cam sprocket - I have the ones from the first motor...but I am thinking of throwing in the towel on this car and project....

I hope yours goes smoother then mine...take time while the motor is out to make sure you don't have any damage that you can see - I thought I would be installing a new motor this weekend, but found these issues getting ready to install.
I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. I feel as though many JDM engine swappers are led astray by the promise of low mileage engines because Japanese people can't keep their cars past a certain point or because they aren't allowed to modify/abuse them, but this just isn't the case. The 60k mile rumor is completely false, but with that being said JDM engines are still more plentiful, And if you can find the problems fast enough you can get your money back. So far the bent fuel lines, a spark plug cable that was cut for absolutely no reason and some torn rubber hoses are my only issues, and all can be fixed with parts from the old engine. Let's hope I don't have similar problems.

I'm also swapping in a 6-speed Helical LSD transmission into my MR2 Spyder, so That's probably why after a week of spring break I still didn't get the engine in :wink2:

·
Registered
2001 OBW VDC, 2004 WRX, 1999 LEGACY L (in a heap)
1,302 Posts
The reason JDM engines become plentiful is a series of causes.

The biggest one is that taxes and fees on owning older vehicles in Japan goes up, not down like it does in the US. They also have stricter maintenance rules, both in the level up upkeep mandated, and the fact that you aren't allowed to work on many systems of your car without getting a followup inspection signed off.

Their whole car market is setup to increase new vehicle turnover. So there is a great deal of truth to the idea that they are low mileage (to us) motors, but that doesn't mean that not checking things is a good idea. ;p

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,200 Posts
I would think some of the JDM engines are from wrecks,

and others just have exporters and importers that kind of abuse them in shipping / handling.

nice to be able to go right down and look at what you are getting before plunking your money down though.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts