Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 outback limited wagon with like a 110k on it. The car wont start. I replaced the battery thinking there was not enough amps to turn over the starter but that was not it. I took the started and the siolond out and had them checked at the local auto part store and both passed. Then I found this weird ticking noise coming from the egr valve. It makes this ticking sound thats it. So the question is do I replace the egr valve or not? And if I do will that let the ca start or will I need to replace something else? thanks

Wood!

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Does it turn over with the new battery? Meaning the starter motor runs and turns over the engine? If so the starter selenoid is working. If the starter motor is doing nothing and the motor is not being turned over then yes that would be the first guess.

Any aftermarket alarm systems installed? Those are generally suspect when this happens.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so nothing moves cept the noise from the egr valve. Lights on the inside are nice and bright and the horn works. but the starter motor is doing nothing. and no alarm systems at all. only the ones that come with the car.

Wood!

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Then you have a starter related issue be it power to the selenoid or the selenoid its self - or the starter. EGR will not prevent a starter from turning over the engine.

By the way a new battery does not mean its fully charged doesn't sound like your issue but never assume a new battery carries enough power under load to start the car.

Assuming this is an Automatic? If so try putting it in Neutral then try to start it. Often times if a cut off switch is failing by shifting the gear selector into neutral you can get it to allow the starter to run. As I said sounds like your issue lies in getting power to the starter be it the actual ignition key - selenoid or possibly the gear selector safety switch etc.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had similar problem with my 07 it was Crankshaft Position Sensor. I replace it cost me about 150 bucks installed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just tried to start the car in eutreal and no luck....so bummed. Wife told me that if I can't fix it by the weekend she is going to call the tow truck and have it brought in to be repaired...which of course takes a large chunk of my man hood with it....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Somebody else. They figured it out by pulling the code. I have to add I called the tow truck however for whatever reason it start for the tow truck driver after not really doing anything. I was left there feeling dejected. I drove to my mechanic and he pulled the code and I replace the sensor to prevent it from happening again.

Do you not even get a click of the starter when you turn the key? The sensor makes sure the crank shaft is aligned before turning over the engine that is why the starter doesn't fire.

·
Registered
18,297 Posts
There's been a few cases recently where a 2005 wouldn't start, no sign of starter solenoid action, and no CEL or apparent code.

One was linked in post #11 above, and bhawk is reporting the crankshaft position sensor. But also see http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/44728-need-some-help-seriously.html. It has lots of detail about the troubleshooting that was tried (might be helpful) but the key is post#77 and following. It too was the crankshaft sensor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts