Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 99 Subaru legacy outback and when I'm bolting the engine in it comes to a certain point when I tighten that the engine just won't turn at all it acts as its seized but if i loosen it up it spins just fine any ideas?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its is an auto, and the trans to engine bolts as I'm pulling them together when it gets to a certain point I cant turn the motor over even with starter it's hard and impossible to turn by hand

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,400 Posts
You don't want to be drawing the transmission up to the engine with the bell housing bolts. Pull them apart and find out why there is interference here.

Others here who have more experience in Gen 1 might want to weigh in; I know there's a specific alignment procedure involved in getting things back together properly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not much drawing trans to engine more engine to trans the engine is not bolted in it's on my lift I was just getting the bolts in is there any way the torque converter has to be installed

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
1,196 Posts
Yes the torque converter has to be just behind the bell housing AND aligned correctly.

In most models If it is sitting proud of the bell housing and you tighten the bolts you can break the pump in the gearbox.

Seagrass

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I mounted the converter to the flex plate then dropped in the motor should I put the converter on the input shaft first then drop in and bolt it in?

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
1,196 Posts
Yes the converter needs to be in the gearbox NOT attached to the engine. There is an access panel in the rear of the engine casing that allows you to install the bolts through the converter into the flex plate. You need to turn the engine by hand aligning/installing each bolt one at a time.

Seagrass

1 - 9 of 9 Posts