Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5
198 Posts
I can understand a company not giving a discount if the product is selling anyway.. I know I wouldn't be discounting a product either. Subaru is posting record sales... notice no rebates, or incentives other that 0.9 on the 2012? I don't blame them one bit..

Years ago you would never see a rebate on a Honda either... My how times have changed..

On the other hand Chevy is giving zero precent interest, plus rebate, plus if you don't like the car after two months you can give it back (has a mileage restriction though)... This is the kind of thing an auto maker does when they are having BIG problems selling thier product.. Hence GM stock (or Goverment Motors) stock has Tanked...

How is it that Subaru can make a quality product in the USA and make a profit and GM builds the "all american" Silvado pickup in mexico and not make a profit? Yes not all chevy pickups are made in Mexico, however the ones sold in Florda are...

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:29:

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5 Premium Steel Silver
25 Posts
My local dealer has about 10 each 2012 OB's out front and is discounting minimally. I did notice that they have about a dozen 2013 stashed in the back lot out of direct view.

·
Registered
'08 Veracruz Limited
3,992 Posts
How is it that Subaru can make a quality product in the USA and make a profit and GM builds the "all american" Silvado pickup in mexico and not make a profit?
GM had a $1.5b profit last quarter. :rolleyes:

Would have been even higher had their Euro division not run a loss like every other manufacturer with European exposure.

To the OP, the article clearly isn't referencing retailer incentives, rather available factory incentives.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
Subaru has a narrower profit margin on their vehicles than most other makes. GM and other "domestics" tend to have inflated pricing to begin with so they can lure buyers with cash on the hood and other seemingly incredible incentives. Considering that there is a new '13 OB hitting dealerships there are some pretty good deals to be had on '12 OB's. If you're looking to buy at an advertised price or without haggling then yes the OB is a pretty lousy deal. Almost as lousy as this piece of journalism. Have they never bought a car before or are they just writing this for people that pay sticker?

If you're looking at local ads for what appear to be killer deals you should always check the fine print. Usually you'll see something like "One at this price" or other stipulations. Those deals are usually on a higher mileage vehicle that has been used as either a demo or just a gopher vehicle. They drive them to the highest mileage possible for them to still be considered new.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i CVT Premium AWP
66 Posts
I think that Outback got a good company. The good products should not be discounted much.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5
198 Posts
We too notced that local dealers were putting 12s in front and stashing 13s in the back. which is understandable, they need to move inventory. I do think good deals on 12s are to be had now, but they will not necessarily be advertized. I am thinking if you are buying a H-6, you can get a great deal on 12 as it sounds like there isn't much difference other than appearance between 12 and 13 H-6. That is not the case with 2.5.

·
Banned
238 Posts
We too notced that local dealers were putting 12s in front and stashing 13s in the back. which is understandable, they need to move inventory. I do think good deals on 12s are to be had now, but they will not necessarily be advertized. I am thinking if you are buying a H-6, you can get a great deal on 12 as it sounds like there isn't much difference other than appearance between 12 and 13 H-6. That is not the case with 2.5.
Actually, the difference between 2012 and 2013 3.6R or H6 is quite substantial. I test drove 2012 3.6R a few times and can compare it with my new 2013 3.6R OB I drive now. 2012 has a very floaty-boaty ride to my taste. It corners pretty badly with leaning and understeering like a big SUV. It wallows on a highway and doesn't keep its course in a straight line for a long, so you have to constantly adjust it. 2012 3.6R limited doesn't have rear seat vents and its instrument panel has that stupid MPG gauge in place of normal temperature gauge.
2013 3.6R has a firm ride, firmer than my wife's Mercury Milan sedan. It is more planted and controllable on a highway. 2013 3.6R doesn't float, and maintains straight course without driver's intervention. It drives almost like a sport car with a heavy but very precise steering. 2013 3.6R doesn't lean when it corners. You feel the road in 2013 more than in 2012. For me it's a plus for others it's a minus. 2013 3.6R limited has a newer and better electroluminescent instrument panel with normal temperature gauge and rear seat vents. Most of my colleagues who bought 2012 and earlier OB models are envy of mine 2013 after they test drove it, and some of them considering replacing theirs with 2013 OB.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT Premium w/All-Weather Pkg/Moonroof
38 Posts
My Dealer - Subaru Superstore in Gilbert, AZ wouldn't even sell me a 2012 and really pushed the 2013! Go Figure! Although saying that most of their 2012's were low option models without the Sunroof / Rear View Camera I wanted!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts