Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Outback Base
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Confession thread. Whats the worst mod you've done to your OB? "shouldnt have cut that, wired that, bolted that, stuck that on, took that off" Whatever.

Mine was getting rid of my personalized plate "SUBARU" Had it for about 5 years then decided to change it up to something different and it came up for grabs to the rest of the public and someone snatched it up. Instant regret.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,141 Posts
I cut holes in my front bumper on Frankie to install some stupid Ricer Tow Hooks.

Basically ruined it, except for that falling-apart ricer look.

·
Registered
2016 WRX, 2017 BRZ, 2017 Legacy
366 Posts
I cut holes in my front bumper on Frankie to install some stupid Ricer Tow Hooks.

Basically ruined it, except for that falling-apart ricer look.
Is there really a point to those two hooks besides looks? Do the cars break so often that they need a tow hook?

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,393 Posts
Hitch mounted boat tail on my Gen 2.

This thing was a lot of fun to build and really did help the mileage but was also a rolling blind spot on the highway and ended up being way heavier than I wanted. I'll see if I can find pictures because it's hilarious.

Roof basket on my Gen 2.

Thought it looked cool and would hold my full sized spare.

Just made everything I threw in the spare tire cavity rattle and made a bunch of wind noise on the highway.

Ended up in the garage rafters for years before I finally sold it for pennies on the dollar.

Clear Lexan wheel cover discs on the XV.

I really liked the rims and how they looked but wanted to mimic the 'smooth' wheel I had previously on my Gen 2.

UV resistant Lexan was the idea. I had 2 discs that clamped to each other with the wheel in the middle. I could never get it to work as intended and ended up scrapping it.

Colossal waste of time but a cool concept.

I don't know if I have any mods I ended up reversing on either Gen 5 I've had.

Have gotten a little more nuanced in mods as I've aged it seems.

·
Master Caster
16,141 Posts
Is there really a point to those two hooks besides looks? Do the cars break so often that they need a tow hook?
If you know the FrankenWagon story, I was on a ricer kick and the hooks were just part of the look. I regret going too far on that one. Besides, front hooks can be dangerous to pedestrians shins. Like adding dive planes, if you don;t know they are there, they will peal the skin of a shin like and apple pealer.

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
603 Posts
Off-road driving lights... Never-ever flash those lights at an oncoming car that refuses to dim; just might be a Kansas State Police Officer.

He said it looked like something out of First Encounters of the Third Kind.

·
Master Caster
16,141 Posts
Off-road driving lights... Never-ever flash those lights at an oncoming car that refuses to dim; just might be a Kansas State Police Officer.

He said it looked like something out of First Encounters of the Third Kind.
This happened to me at 17. I lit up a PA state patrol on a back road with 4 teen angers and a case of beer in the trunk. Or, hatch. I was driving a Renault Fuego turbo. I had both drivers and fogs. Both wired illegally. The trooper did not dim. I lit him up like Xmas time.

With Auxiliary lighting.

I was let off light, all things considered. This was 1986 tho ...

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Attempted paint repair on my hood.

It's Gorbachev now.

Lesson learned: I can handle gloss auto finishes just fine, but clear coated pearl is beyond my personal ability.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts