Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5 Limited
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I kept my beloved 2014 2.5i Limited in near-factory condition for nearly 2 years (new-car-smell for over one :grin2:) until a freak North Texas hail storm got me! Had hood, driver's front qtr panel, both driver's doors, and roof replaced by a body shop. Unfortunately, the shop tore the interior apart and didn't take care putting it back together. Sent back to the shop twice, and still have small gaps in interior fittings and a few mystery rattles that popped up. Took it to the drive-thru carwash this week, and the sunroof leaked like a faucet! Will be taking it BACK to the shop to get this taken care of, but now I've come to a fork in the road...

Do I keep the car that I intended as my 15-year car, or do I trade in for a newer OB??

Pros for keeping: this is MY vehicle, I know everything that was done to it, how clean it was kept, all service records, and in the discontinued color that I love, ability to customize with minimal worry about ruining a new vehicle during adventures
Cons for keeping: mysterious rattles, leaky sunroof, not sure when the next issue will pop up

Pros for upgrading: newer version of CVT, Xmode, upgraded info-tainment system and other amenities, possibility of getting Eyesight system this time
Cons for upgrading: already paid most of the loan off and will basically reset the clock on a new loan :( (effectively going to cost a total of nearly 50k for my 15-year OB dream)

Would love to hear your thoughts! Drop me a line!

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
YOLO......it would be gone and replaced with something else.....

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,302 Posts
EDIT: also, in the case of the H4/CVT, I think that the 2015+ is unquestionably better.
2015 is no good across the board at subaru,.

..except maybe the STI with its last of the EJ25T on a manual,...or the FA manuals of any BRZ poking around.

CVT = extended warranty goes from 2010-2015.

FB engine extended warranty all ? made from 2011-15 (including FB20 impreza/crosstrek, and the early FB25B forester.).

in transmissions on used cars in the near future:

in the 2010-15 period the H4s to buy might wind up just being manuals,...if you can't find a factory rebuilt CVT one.

or the last of the 4EAT / 5EAT ones.

hopefully there are lots of FB25B/CVT cars with both a fixed engine and fixed transmission. :smile2::smile2:

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,511 Posts
Pros for upgrading: ... upgraded info-tainment system ...
If it were me, I'd wait for sure resolution of what sound like serious problems with this "upgraded" system. There have been so many problems, and so many types of problems, reported that it sounded like the system was nearly unusable for pretty much anything. There have been some firmware patches released, but I've heard conflicting reports about whether those fixed all, some, or even any of the problems.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,691 Posts
complain to your insurance, maybe they will OK taking the car elsewhere?

I'd be tempted to drive it until the global platform is available in '19, but...?

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5 Limited
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
insurance told me they don't "insure poor repairs" even though this was their recommended shop.... The initial work was so bad that the second invoice was even more than the original!
at this point, they could have just bought the car from me

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,691 Posts
man, you need to go up a level or 2 at the insurance co. Let us know who they and their shop are if this doesn't go well in a week or 2, might help folks decide whith whom to do buisness in the future.

Geico has its detractors and I'm sure folks have had issues with them, but both they AND the shop I took my WRX too have lifetime warranty on all the repairs related to the claim, plus, I suppose I could even claim hidden damage if something related came up again.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,275 Posts
When I worked in a collision repair shop the insurance companies that had their "preferred shop" lists required a certain level of quality and required the work to be guaranteed as well. If you didn't meet those standards it didn't take much to get kicked off of the list which could be a death sentence for the repair shop if they relied on insurance repairs for most of their business. If your insurance company isn't standing behind the repairs of the shop they recommended it might be time to be shopping for a new insurance company as well as a new repair shop.

It varies from state to state but this might be a good case for filing a diminished value claim. If the poor repairs are that obvious it may hurt the resale value of the car.

Not relevant in this case, but with hail damage I would personally be very tempted to take a cash payout on the damage and live with the hail dents, especially when the repairs would get into cutting into the structure such as replacing the roof skin or the rear quarter panels. Obviously not everyone would want to drive a car full of dents, but if you get the option of cashing out it might be worth considering. Of course getting full-coverage insurance on the damaged vehicle becomes an issue as future claims won't cover the pre-existing damage, so that has to be considered as well.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx Edition XT
1,885 Posts
The new Outbacks are NICE, especially the 3.6. Go for it!:)

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5 Limited
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Danver,
I wasn't given the option of the cash payout. Also, when I dropped the OB at the shop, the person doing the walk-thru didn't really explain to me what would happen with the repairs. In hindsight, I REALLY wish I would have told them to leave the roof dented and just repair the rest. All of the interior damage came from them cutting the roof off... Again, I wasn't really given the option.

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5 Limited
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The new Outbacks are NICE, especially the 3.6. Go for it!:)
ideally I would want pretty much exactly what I have now (only with the Eye-Sight system added). I'd love the extra HP, but I don't really want to spend an extra $3k on top everything else

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,308 Posts
I wasn't given the option of the cash payout. ....In hindsight, I REALLY wish I would have told them to leave the roof dented and just repair the rest. ... Again, I wasn't really given the option.
Insurance companies are state regulated, and I'm not familiar with Texas, but in Oregon they have to tell you that you're not obligated to use any particular shop for repair, nor are you even obligated to repair it - you can just take a cash settlement and deal with it - or not - as you wish. Of course, having it fully insured afterward may be an issue, unless you can prove you had repairs done.

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5 Limited
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Insurance companies are state regulated, and I'm not familiar with Texas, but in Oregon they have to tell you that you're not obligated to use any particular shop for repair, nor are you even obligated to repair it - you can just take a cash settlement and deal with it - or not - as you wish. Of course, having it fully insured afterward may be an issue, unless you can prove you had repairs done.
I'm not concerned with the insurance anymore - the damage has been done. My real dilemma is whether or not I can live with the little rattles and gaps.
On top of that, the new OBs have better transmission and off-road capabilities ;)

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
For what it’s worth the 3k difference could make up for it in the end with Mr. reliable, the EZ36D engine, battle tested.

If you own this car for 10 years it’s 300 per year. Less if you do 15 (200/year) and you get the hp you seem to WANT!!

·
Registered
2018 OB Limited 3.6R
201 Posts
Leaking sunroof is intolerable in Texas. Too much black mold here. For me that would be a handoff to an Attorney and an upgrade. BTW what insurance company is this so I can avoid them?

The OB needs the extra juice of the 3.6r. It is worth the increase.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,298 Posts
Do I keep the car that I intended as my 15-year car, or do I trade in for a newer OB??
Roof was replaced and not straightened out via PDR? I'm not at a body shop, but from the amount of damage you're saying, I'm doing a ballpark here ... $1,000 for the hood, replaced and repainted, $800 for left front fender panel, $1,600 for both door skins, $1,000 for PDR on the roof rails, and I have no clue why they'd replace the roof instead of simply doing PDR on it, because if they actually cut the roof off and put a new one on, they may have pretty much turned your car into a pile of scrap metal, simply because of how much that interferes with structural integrity. If they replaced the roof, they would have had to repaint, well, literally the whole car simply to make the colors match. You know how much of a mess it is simply replacing a door - you basically have to repaint part of the other door and the fender or quarter panel simply to make them match.

I've had way too much experience with hail issues here in Oklahoma. During the storm four years ago, we averaged more than $5,500 worth of damage to each of the cars on our lot, and a lot of them exceeded $6,000 - $7,000, with some cars on other lots completely totaled out. (I've also had people bringing in cars for trade with hail on them, so I've done the walkarounds with our managers enough to know reconditioning costs.)

So you also need to keep in mind that even if you had a hail repair, you have two issues. One, your car is now worth MUCH less, even if it was fixed right. (Typically if they do $5,000 worth of repairs, you can pretty much figure it's now worth $5,000 less for trade in.) Second, if the shop didn't do it right, who knows what else they screwed up. And, of course, your car is now completely ineligible for GTP.

In the for what it's worth department, we sold some of those cars fixed, with the hail disclosure (at a discount), and we sold some of those cars completely unrepaired (other than the safety things, like broken outside mirrors, which we had to fix anyway) for even deeper discounts. They still had new car warranties on them for everything BUT body damage, because it wasn't structural. (The storm five years ago did do structural damage to some of our cars, punching right through the skins and actually damaging things inside. It's a scary thing to see a hole punched THROUGH the hood of a car from hail. We totaled a bunch of those out.)

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
Roof was replaced and not straightened out via PDR?
Was wondering the same thing. In my neck of woods most hail damage is almost always repaired using PDR.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
Leaking sunroof isn't a big deal. Get it fixed.
Probably a drain plug disconnected.

I'd at least address that before making a decision but this is minor stuff to me, so this comes down to personal preference.

And my goodness - what a wreck of a job and repair. The shop is totally fine with a leaking sunroof and the perceived mess you describe?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
@Carl Abrams +1

Had an experience like this when I traded in my 09 Legacy. We had a giant oak tree in our front yard that liked to carpet bomb both of our cars with acorns. At first glance during trade assessment they inquired if it was hail damage and were surprised about the acorns.

But they ended up wholesaling/auctioning the car at trade. I think KBB had me up around 8000 for the car at the time of trade in Fair condition. I declined the trade in value initially and went to another dealership (wife was shopping for a Honda Pilot) and they had a very comparable appraisal and actually itemized the deductions by panel at my request after I offered to get it fixed with a PDR place... the deduction from book value was less than the repair from PDR.

Tree eventually got cut down, will have to put a non-bombing tree like a cherry blossom in there in the future. ;) that oak did a number on many cars in my driveway - not just my own!

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5 Limited
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Leaking sunroof is intolerable in Texas. Too much black mold here. For me that would be a handoff to an Attorney and an upgrade. BTW what insurance company is this so I can avoid them?

The OB needs the extra juice of the 3.6r. It is worth the increase.

I'm in DFW and I have Farmers insurance. Their preferred body shop is Herb's - AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts