Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1996 legacy OB 2.5 L just kicked the bucket. 2 rod bearings.Simple question is it worth replacing the engine with a JDM engine? 160,000 miles on the car and it is in decent shape. Mechanic quoted me at $3k for engine, labor, and freight to AK.
What kind of success rate our people having w theses JDM engines? Is there something else that typically goes wrong with this car around now too.
I love the car and hate car payments. But kinda seems silly to plunk $3k into a car worth $2k.
Any and all thoughts, opinions and advice appreciated!!!!!'

·
Registered
1993 Legacy LSi with still functioning Air Suspension, 1999 Outback 2.5L 5MT lab Rat
191 Posts
Purchase the JDM engine and install it yourself. Save some Money, If you want to keep the car, if not re-home it for a price and move on. They are great cars, not sure why you lost rod bearings so early unless it was abused early on in its life. JDM engines are solid, use your cars own intake and hopefully you don't have EGR issues ( some JDM engines don't have EGR)

·
Registered
2014 OBW 3.6R Limited, 1997 OBW 2.5L Auto (sold, but not forgotten), and 1991 Ford F150
1,525 Posts
But kinda seems silly to plunk $3k into a car worth $2k.
The value of the car isn't really relevant. Think of it as "If I don't plunk $3k into this car, what is it going to cost to buy another good running car?"

The JDM engines still have the factory original crappy head gaskets. Don't know if the $3k quote includes replacing the HGs or not, but they should be replaced with new MLS ones if you're planning to keep the car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great advice. Thanks!So true... I couldn't replace this car for $3k. If I replace the engine I could at least drive it until the warrantee is over,1year. Buying myself time to find a deal on a diff car. Then still sell it for $3k. I just hope nothing else major happens in the mean time.
So the is there anything else major I should "expect" to Gail on this car in the near future?

·
Registered
96 Legacy OBW, EJ22 swap, 2" suspension lift, 215/75r15, HIDs, 06 WRX interior swap
335 Posts
Not as long as you keep up on fluid services!

Can I assume you have an automatic since its a 96 with a ej25? If so I'd recommend a drain and fill on the tranny every 6 months or so. Sounds excessive but its only about 4-5qts each time and I currently have 235k on mine and not a single hiccup the drivetrain (yes my engine has been replaced as well).

Also diffs and all other fluids as well. I feel very confident ill see mine roll past 300k without any other major problems.

Welcome to the club!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great. Thanks for the tips on the tranny fluid. Better safe than sorry. Ya it's an automatic. I guess the tyranny would be the next biggest thing that could go rite? There at a lot of outbacks in town ( juneau ak) and I have never heard of anyone needing to replace tranny. Must be pretty solid huh?

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,437 Posts
The 4EAT tranny is a tank, you can ride those for 300k+ if you keep the fluid fresh & be nice to the AWD- no hook tows or mismatched tires.

I'd have a funny feeling about $3k into a $2k car myself, but as an expatriate Alaskan I know what it's like. You'd be hard-pressed to do better by flying to Portland or Seattle where cheap old Outbacks are practically stocked in vending machines, and then floating it back.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it's good to hear the tranny is a tank.So what's the deal w the jdm crate engines? They are just required to replace the engines every so often? At a certain mileage? Do I know how many miles are on the engine when if I get it?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts