Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Ford Crown Victoria
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am really trying hard to get some more insight on this situation. There is a 1997 Subaru Outback Impreza Sport Wagon for sale. The car has been sitting for a few years and has a blown motor. I did some pricing in my town and it would cost roughly 2300 for a new motor. The body of the car and inside is in great shape. Nothing is wrong with it but the blown motor. How much do you think i should offer to pay for the body??? And do you all think this is a smart idea

p.s. The motor blew because he had a cracked gasket and water got into the motor.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
'04 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport H-4 4EAT Platinum Silver Metallic
195 Posts
Kelly Blue Book value averages at just under $8000 USD. Could be a real nice deal if the car cost the same as the replacement motor.

Thing is, there's more to consider, like wheel bearings, brakes, suspension, rest of the drivetrain, A/C, etc. (left out electrical system!) But if any and all repairs cost only a couple thousand dollars it could still be okay. I'd tread carefully, though.

Hopefully the experts (long-time Subaru owners) will have some great advice.

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
250 Posts
Offer them $500 and with another 4-5k you could probably have it in tip top shape if there are other things to be done other than the motor.

·
Registered
02 OB sport, 2.5, 5MT, WRX seats/catback/rear bar, Hellas, Home Despot CAI and roof rack
1,572 Posts
Big--

how competent a wrench are you? Roo is right that there will be a bunch of other things wrong with car from sitting....for starters, fuel system will need flushing, brakes are likely to need work and a/c compressor may be seized. if you're looking at having someone else do all the work, my advice would be don't even think about it, as the cost to get everything up to speed will be waaaay more $ and aggravation than just buying a $8000 car. how many miles are shown on the odo?

please believe that i'm speaking from experience of resurrecting many many many long-dead cars, American, euro and Jap. how many times would it need to be stranded by something minor before your signif other said no mas, either car goes or i do?? do you have something else reliable to drive or would this be your main transport? project cars don't make good daily transpo, esp in winter.

if you can do the work yourself, it might be a good deal. i say MIGHT, as the owner probably doesn't understand just how little the car is worth and may have inflated picture of its worth....sorta like the person selling a used computer who just can';t believe how obsolete it's become and how little it's worth.

if you are considering the car seriously and you are other than a pretty good mechanic yourself, have it checked out by a knowledgeable friend or better yet, pay to have someone check it out for you....and i mean put it up on stands or a lift, crawl underneath, and check everything on the car you can while the wheels are off the ground.

approach with GREAT caution. even tho it's not a Jaguar or a Fiat, a car that's sat for "several years" can provide a pretty good approximation of Jag ownership, without the joys of Jag ownership....

bw

·
Registered
'04 Colorado, '90 Legacy sedan
137 Posts
I agree with cptoversteer, unless you are a pretty good wrench be very cautious. I've a '90 Legacy sedan that sat for almost 2 years and have put about $600 into it just to get it on the road.

Over the past 3 years, I've changed a bad lower ball joint, a torn CV boot and tie rod end. Not bad for the old girl. Oh yeah, all the R-12 leaked out '03 winterand have since converted to 134a. Works great now!

I'm wondering if she will give any troubles next summer during the drive across the country when we move. She may need an axle replaced and wheel bearings.

Again, like the others have said, get somebody that knows what they are doing to look over the car before making an offer so you know what you are getting to.

Good Luck!
Todd

1 - 5 of 5 Posts