Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Crystal White Pearl Outback 3.6R Touring
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I joined the Subaru family last year, and I can tell you I have enjoyed my ride very much. Currently have a Forester, but after riding and driving a friend's Outback, I would like it better. So, as I read all these issues on the 2018 Outback, would you buy it if you could turn back time and start over ?
All cars these days have issues due to so many electronics, so has this infotainment system turned you off from the car ?
How about the batteries ? Windshields ?

One thing that is important to me is that through all of these reads, there are little mechanical issues with Subaru these days ! To me that is a real plus, as I look and read about Honda turbo issues, and many other makes with far more mechanical issues than Subaru, there is a comfort zone for sure with me with Subaru ! I also think they make nice looking cars, which so many aren't these days, solid built, and with one of the best AWD !

As I ponder waiting for the 2020, or buying and enjoying an H6 for awhile until the 2020 kinks get out, let me hear your opinions on your own Outback. Does the positive out way the negative ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
My two cents…

I’ve had my OB for about a month, and haven’t seen any of the issues others seem to have. (Maybe I just haven’t had it long enough.) My 8” infotainment system has been worry-free, for the most part, aside from some random Android Auto bugs here and there.

All in all, I’m as happy with my OB as I could be.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5i with CVT
44 Posts
I have a 2017 and I am glad that I did not go with an 18. There are quite a few issues with infotainment, 2018 being the first year that carplay and the android thing were integrated. I don't care for any of that tech stuff, I just wanted a nice stereo with Bluetooth, the extra stuff like nav that is a part of my 17 I don't even use because I use my phone. Other little issues that I keep seeing on the 18's I have not noticed or experienced on my 17. Finally, I really don't care for the 18 grill for some reason, can't put my finger on it but I really like the looks of the 17 over the 18 if I had to choose. Suffice to say that I am thrilled with my 2017 2.5i and if I had to do it again I would at least test drive the 3.6r first, almost everybody enjoys the extra power from what I keep reading.

Reactions: qanadin and RDL

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I don't regret buying my '15 OB....we learn from our mistakes.

My wife had a '14 Forester and now a '17 Forester. She would never trade for an OB. Finds it too uncomfortable.

Reactions: RDL

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just picked up my 2018 premium w/ eyesight this week, and it has been great so far. I had no hood or tailgate alignment issues and the infotainment system has not had any hiccups yet. The only "issue" i have is a very tiny rattle/buzz coming from somewhere in the passenger footwell area. I just heard it for the first time last night when I was driving with the radio off for the first time. The sound was still there with radio 100% off and the hvas totally off....so it seems to be something else. It sounds like a heatshield rattle i had on a different vehicle, so i plan to crawl under there soon to see if anything needs a tiny little tweak or pinch to keep it from vibrating against something else.

Coming from a 2008 Volvo V70 I love this thing so far. Nore: mine has an April 18 build date....so it is very fresh off the line.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i Dark Blue Pearl/Ivory w'Eyesight
703 Posts
Just went from a 16 Forester to an 18 Outback. No issues yet, although, only three weeks. Would not go back to the Forester (had a loaner while my OB was getting some add-on parts). OB just too great. Previously had an 11 OB that I swapped for the Forester. Not a huge mistake, but big enough. I went back to an Outback.

·
Registered
2018 OB 3.6R Touring Dark Blue Pearl
85 Posts
I've got a 17. No regrets with it.

Wait no I lied it needs a racing stripe.
Been wavering between the racing stripe or perhaps some tasteful flames. Don’t see much of either these days, for some reason.>:)

·
Registered
2013 O.B. and 2018 O.B.
100 Posts
No regrets. Had a 2013 Premium 2.5 bought used, low miles, good little car but basic options. Went to 18 Limited 2.5 loaded, even nicer and much more comfortable ride. Have had RAM 4x4 trucks and Jeep Grand Cherokee over past 5 years. Living in PNW, the Subaru was always my 1st choice for winter driving, rain, snow. Out performed both over the others in snow, even Wife's 2015 Volvo AWD XC70.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
62 Posts
I just picked up a 2018 3.6R Touring yesterday. I debated waiting for the 2020, but this car is really, really good.
There will always be something better tomorrow, now was a good time to just go for it.

Only issue I have is that this car is way too good looking to put on those forest service roads!
But in my book, that's a good kind of problem.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited w/Eyesight
159 Posts
No regrets on my purchase. I've had a few minor head unit glitches (presets being lost, odd nav behavior) but that is it. If you go to any forum you are going to find a lot of complaints/issues. That is the primary reason many people post, to either rant and/or find a solution. Every vehicle is going to have its pros & cons.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Touring in Wilderness Green
53 Posts
Bought 2018 3.6R Touring new March 13th 2018. No ragrets. No issues with infotainment system, and I use both Apple CarPlay and the onboard nav every day.

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited XT
334 Posts
I have had my 2018 3.6R Limited for 9 months now and I find it to be an absolutely great car in every way save for the software issues associated with the Starlink system. I consider the Starlink software issues to be an extremely minor problem that will be fixed by Subaru sometime in the future. It really doesn't detract from all the features of the 3.6R Limited.

My view is that if you want a 6 cylinder you need to buy a 2018 model as I have serious doubts that the 2019 model year will offer the 6 cylinder engine. My guess is that the 2019 model year will offer the 4 cylinder turbo being offered in the 2019 Ascent.

I do have one regret. I ordered my 2018 the day that pricing was announced in June, 2017 and thus got 1.9% financing. Had I waited 32 days I could have received 0% financing. My eagerness cost me about $1,900 in financing costs that I could have avoided had I waited the 32 days.

My $0.02. YMMV

Fred Meloan

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
603 Posts
It is easy for some folks to fall in to the negatives about anything; There are some things that are generally true and annoying, like an undersized battery or cheap tire but those can all be fixed.

Other things like the windshield crack or the leaky head gaskets after 50-100K appeared only for some years or only on some engine models. It is not endemic across every year, trim level or engine. If you read just those horror stories you might be saying "OMG, what a lousy car, I might as well get a Fiat". Subaru is still one of the most reliable auto makers with a very strong reputation for the enduring value of their vehicles.

For a car that is $25-30K the issues are minor; One of my other vehicles costs three times as much and it is not three times better for build quality or a maintenance-free experience.

With any major purchase of a car or a house (or a spouse) you try to go in eyes-wide-open, accept the things that you cannot change, modify some of those that annoy you and live within your means.

It's a car, if after a few years you cannot tolerate it then trade it in. Subarus have a high resale value. If its a marriage; well, there's always a wood chipper and a frozen lake in North Dakota to get rid of the guy who won't put the toilet seat down.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,293 Posts
We got the 2017 2.5i Limited. Only regret was we did not buy the 3.6 as it is quieter and smoother. Even that has not been a real issue. I like the vehicle more every day. I had no real interest in the 2018s after I drove one. Doubt if I will have any interest in the minor changes coming in 2019. 2020 may be a different matter. :)

Reactions: RDL

·
Registered
2018 Crystal White Pearl Outback 3.6R Touring
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Been wavering between the racing stripe or perhaps some tasteful flames. Don’t see much of either these days, for some reason.>:)
HA ! You know, I saw a video with an Outback which had trees across the bottom LOL.....you might consider that as well as the flames and stripe :)

1 - 20 of 84 Posts