Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On July 14th we left a relatives house in southern TN to go to a state park East of Huntsville AL. While in Huntsville we were heading south and the sun was popping in and out the clouds. I was looking ahead for the street we needed to turn on, and had put down the visor to block the sun. Next thing I know the wife shouts that was a red light, and we were hit on the passenger side. The front wheel area took the blunt of the impact, and the doors were damaged. No one was hurt, but we were shaken. The gentleman who hit us was a Church administrator who lived 2 blocks away. His wife came down with the church van and helped us empty out our personal belongings before the car was towed away. Of course the Fire dept showed and made sure we were OK. Then a police man showed up and checked out drivers license and took our statements as to what happened. I took full blame as it was all my fault. He didn't give me a ticket, but can they mail one???
Both cars had to be towed away. His fairly new ford was a lot more damaged than the Outback. One of the firemen said "I think my next car will be a Subaru. We went to the administers house called our insurance and spent quite a bit of time on the phone with them. We were supplied with water and bathroom use. All I can say is if your going to get in a wreck be in a Subaru, and have it with a good Christian person. Out son who lives in TN sent his girlfriend and she picked us up with all our stuff, and took us to the Enterprise outfit the insurance sent us to.
Got home the next day, and have been dealing with the insurance co and the outfit that will be repairing the car. Here are a few picks.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
12,756 Posts
Subarus are meant for this. Glad you and your wife are ok. Impressive graciousness from the other driver, his family, and everyone involved.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
2,013 Posts
Glad everyone is ok.
Do get checked out by a Dr. if you haven't already.
Was the hit hard enough to deploy airbags?

The front of the Ford looks worse as it did what it's supposed to do and absorb energy by destroying itself.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Glad everyone involved is okay. Hope the repair process isn’t too frustrating.

A very good friend of mine would interject here:
“If money can fix your problems, they’re not problems…”

·
Registered
2020 Outback 2.5 Limited
12 Posts
Glad no one was hurt. Subarus do seem to hold up well in accidents, which is a great thing. Hopefully your outback will be back on the road before long!

·
Premium Member
2022 Grey Outback Premium
333 Posts
This is why I have a Subi. 'Just in case'.

Glad you're ok, and sucks you missed the red.

BTW, yes they can mail tickets, but it's unusual most places I know of.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is why I have a Subi. 'Just in case'.

Glad you're ok, and sucks you missed the red.

BTW, yes they can mail tickets, but it's unusual most places I know of.
Heard from the repair shop this morning. @ 20 working days. Parts are on order but some may take a while longer to get as the 2020 Outback is really different because of the all new suspension system.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Limited, Magnetite Gray
58 Posts
I'm very glad that you and all involved are OK and the kindness from the other Family involved!
I am also curious if you noticed that the Brake Assist feature kicked in, if that option's available on your 2020?

·
Premium Member
2021 OB Touring, 2011 OB Premium
820 Posts
So glad that all of you are okay. The Subaru did its job for you and kept you safe!

Many police and law enforcement (traffic investigation units) will mail citations, if warranted, after the investigation is complete.

Reactions: clm2018

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium Dark Grey V4 cyl
430 Posts
Glad you are all ok. As others said, the Subaru did its job, kept you safe.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT, in Crystal White Pearl
1,010 Posts
I'm very glad that you and all involved are OK and the kindness from the other Family involved!
I am also curious if you noticed that the Brake Assist feature kicked in, if that option's available on your 2020?
Since (I think) the OP's Subaru was hit from the side, by the Ford that had the right-of-way, I wouldn't think that the Subaru's safety systems would have been of much help.

It would have perhaps helped if the other driver's Ford had some sort of emergency brake assist (Maybe it did, but there still wasn't enough time or distance to stop the Ford....)

Another theoretical feature that might have helped would be if the Subaru had "red light detection", with automatic braking. Do some cars have this? The problem with such a feature is that sometimes you wouldn't want the car to be automatically slamming on the brakes at a red light. For example, the light is yellow, and you know it might turn red before you really get through the intersection, but there is a semi right behind you, and you don't think they will be able to stop as fast as you.... So you intentionally go through, even though the light changes to red while you're still in the intersection. A properly-designed red light detection system could be made smart enough to NOT slam on the brakes at the last minute, but still do reasonable amounts of automatic braking for a light that is already red....

·
Registered
19 Limited/20 Onyx (7TH)
807 Posts
Yes summons can be mailed out later but usually not the case. Especially since you already admitted your fault with the traffic light I believe you would have gotten the ticket right on the spot. I m glad the other people acted with kindness towards your bad day. You are obviously an up standing person yourself by telling the truth. Rare these days.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
12,756 Posts
He has a 2020 - you mean a 2022? When I have collision damage I get the car repaired and then wait for an excuse to get a new car. Many people are happy with driving a repaired car but my paranoia gets the best of me. If it were my car I'd wait for a 2023 since it might have Eyesight X, and the electric Subaru might be out by then. I'd just keep the car until the right time to make a change. Then again used car prices are very good right now so it's a good time to sell.

Reactions: David in Norcal
1 - 14 of 14 Posts